Economy

On 1/6/2022 at 9:39 AM, BigRedBuster said:

He's preached all along that the inflation was just temporary.  Now, he's starting to reverse that.

I be a little surprised if that holds true as we get into 2022. My business is a service business, and I was waiting until the New Year to raise prices, and am currently in the process of letting my clients and contracts know that prices will be increasing by at least 10% and in some cases more. I know the landscape business might be a little different than some service businesses, but I would guess that at least a decent amount of service businesses have also been waiting for the New Year to make those changes. You have to. Everything that allows you to provide the service you provide has risen in price.

• Plus1 1

On 1/11/2022 at 6:28 PM, BigRedBuster said:

I honestly don’t understand why some things like food are in short supply because of the pandemic. 

There’s lots of reasons.

People panic buying and hoarding.

Labor shortages at every step of the process.

Trucking/hauling logjams.

Eating habits have changed, people are preparing more meals at home.

Grocery stores are offering fewer options and in lower quantities in an attempt to control the hoarding and pace purchasing. Where there were 10 options 5 deep now there are 5 options 2 deep.

I get your point that obviously people aren’t suddenly eating a bunch more food but there are plenty of reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/meta-poised-suffer-largest-one-122010583.html

Must have been Joe Rohan’s fault.   But seriously, for those wanting a wealth tax, in situations like these, does a person like Zuck get a refund on the 24% of wealth tax he would have paid that vanished overnight?   

Or the small business owner that is doing really good, until the moment he isn’t and declares bankruptcy?  

• Plus1 3
36 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/meta-poised-suffer-largest-one-122010583.html

Must have been Joe Rohan’s fault.   But seriously, for those wanting a wealth tax, in situations like these, does a person like Zuck get a refund on the 24% of wealth tax he would have paid that vanished overnight?   

Or the small business owner that is doing really good, until the moment he isn’t and declares bankruptcy?  

I'm for a wealth tax and like our progressive income taxes, only the money above the threshold would be taxed. I don't have a strong preference for a particular threshold, but $1 billion seems more than reasonable to me.