Economy

5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Dang!

That is crazy, better off just waiting to buy new if you can.

We really need a new car.  Ours has about 130,000 miles on it.  But, we have been waiting till after this year since we have 2 daughters getting married and all three kids graduating from college.  I'm hoping that our car lasts that long and the market gets somewhat back to normal by that time.

Yeah...my life is going to be very different a year from now.

41 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

We really need a new car.  Ours has about 130,000 miles on it.  But, we have been waiting till after this year since we have 2 daughters getting married and all three kids graduating from college.  I'm hoping that our car lasts that long and the market gets somewhat back to normal by that time.

Yeah...my life is going to be very different a year from now.

My last car started having all sorts of issues when it hit like 135-140k...I finally got rid of it in September but I had hoped to make it until summer.

I had an old mini-van with 140K miles on it last spring.  I was trying to have it last as long as it could, but it finally got to the point I couldn't bring myself to put more $ into repairs on it.  I had known that used car prices had been going up, but I didn't realize fully how low the inventory of new cars was.   My wife and I went to a dealer and they had basically no new cars on the lot, and their used cars were way overpriced.  Adding another layer of complexity to our decision was the fact my son will be turning 16 in April 2022, so he would need a reliable car.

Last June, what I eventually did was buy an affordable used car for me to drive for about a year, and then I will give that to my son when he turns 16.  That would also allow me to do some additional research and looking at a potential new vehicle for me to buy.  Last week, while I was off from work, I stopped at a couple car dealerships to check out what they have and take test drives of vehicles I was interested in.  One dealer said that I would be able to work with them to build and get a more customized vehicle built and delivered in 3 months.  Another dealer said that they don't do custom orders, and that they just work with interested people on vehicles that come to their dealership.  It's just weird how things are right now.  If you are able to wait until things are more stable, that's probably your best bet.

27 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I had an old mini-van with 140K miles on it last spring.  I was trying to have it last as long as it could, but it finally got to the point I couldn't bring myself to put more $ into repairs on it.  I had known that used car prices had been going up, but I didn't realize fully how low the inventory of new cars was.   My wife and I went to a dealer and they had basically no new cars on the lot, and their used cars were way overpriced.  Adding another layer of complexity to our decision was the fact my son will be turning 16 in April 2022, so he would need a reliable car.

Last June, what I eventually did was buy an affordable used car for me to drive for about a year, and then I will give that to my son when he turns 16.  That would also allow me to do some additional research and looking at a potential new vehicle for me to buy.  Last week, while I was off from work, I stopped at a couple car dealerships to check out what they have and take test drives of vehicles I was interested in.  One dealer said that I would be able to work with them to build and get a more customized vehicle built and delivered in 3 months.  Another dealer said that they don't do custom orders, and that they just work with interested people on vehicles that come to their dealership.  It's just weird how things are right now.  If you are able to wait until things are more stable, that's probably your best bet.

If someone is in the market for a car, much better value to buy new at this point than used.  Which is upside down world but the one we live in at this point 

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

If someone is in the market for a car, much better value to buy new at this point than used.  Which is upside down world but the one we live in at this point 

I've never bought a new car in my life because I've never understood how it's financially worth it.  But, if we had to buy right now, I would strongly consider it.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I've never bought a new car in my life because I've never understood how it's financially worth it.  But, if we had to buy right now, I would strongly consider it.

I’ve only bought new for my wife since we got married but we keep them for 6-7 years and have passed them down or sold for good value.   Financially it may not be better, depends on how much the used one costs in repairs, but getting what I want and piece of mind the first 4-5 years is what I pay for  

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

That's where I am at.  I had never thought about buying new until now.  Since I am more flexible on the timing of buying the car, I could spend a few more thousand $ (or even the price of the used) and get a new car and get it with the options and details that I am willing to pay for.

Just now, Archy1221 said:

I’ve only bought new for my wife since we got married but we keep them for 6-7 years and have passed them down or sold for good value.   Financially it may not be better, depends on how much the used one costs in repairs, but getting what I want and piece of mind the first 4-5 years is what I pay for  

I always search pretty hard to find a good used.

Years ago, we bought a minivan with 9,000 miles on it.  It was a vehicle that was at General Motors and just parked there for any time an employee or customer needed a car.  So, it had all the bells and whistles. We got it for thousands less than new.

About 4 years ago, I found a Chevy Malibu for my son to take to college.  It had 4,000 miles on it and only a little bit more expensive than my two other kid's cars that had more miles.

Those are rare.  But, I usually look for something with less than 20,000 miles.  It's basically brand new and broke in.  In normal times, they are thousands less than new.  When you divide out the savings per mile, it's amazing.   I can't remember the last car I bought like this that I had maintenance issues with that made me regret it.

My wife and I had to order a new Tahoe. A  brand new 2022 was $2,000 more than the next best deal we could find within 2 hrs from us, which was a 2021 Tahoe with 20,000+ miles on it. We were trying to make her other car last, but at 150,000 miles the transmission started showing signs of a bad transmission. We weren't going to put $5,000 in it and really needed something bigger. When we bought her last car we had two kids, and we have  four now.

It took a few weeks to get it in, but it's worked out so far.

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

My wife and I had to order a new Tahoe. A  brand new 2022 was $2,000 more than the next best deal we could find within 2 hrs from us, which was a 2021 Tahoe with 20,000+ miles on it. We were trying to make her other car last, but at 150,000 miles the transmission started showing signs of a bad transmission. We weren't going to put $5,000 in it and really needed something bigger. When we bought her last car we had two kids, and we have  four now.

That is when I would easily buy a new one.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

You are right, your wife does need something bigger (Wink)

I mean a c$%k...in case you didn't get it.

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

I leased (f#&% off) a new Wrangler (I know, I know) years ago, with no AC (f#&% off again) and it was a stick...4 year lease (shut up) att 349 a month (f#&% off)

Now, did that Wrangler get me a lot of snatch?  No, not really.

Did I love driving it 500 miles in July to Chicago with no AC?  Nope, hated it.

Did the soft top almost make me go deaf?  What??

• Haha 1