Economy

6 minutes ago, commando said:

we need to streamline the process and perhaps make it free to immigrate here.  most immigrants are dirt poor looking to move up in the world.  they don't have the money to pay all the legal fees to come here legally

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/nri/migrate/the-costs-of-immigrating-to-the-united-states/articleshow/82966455.cms

It is amazing that people in the US scream and cry about how other countries are sooooo much better.  Yet people want to come here and those people that want to come here can't save 10K up because the countries they live in suck so bad.

I personally think immigrating to any country should be free (and easy as just moving there) and I would even go as far as to say that if you have certain levels of education that you should be offered major incentives to come to a new country.

Still, gains in US corporate profits over the past year (37%) has vastly outstripped both inflation (6.2%) and compensation increases (12%), leading Morgan Stanley to recommend a return to a more equitable arrangement.

Even at their peak in the 1990's, corporate profit margins were roughly half of what they are today. Companies have been able to grow those margins to what they are today in part by paying workers a smaller share of what they produce.

The Morgan Stanley researchers write that the widening gap between company profits and worker compensation since the 1990's is unprecedented and poses a threat to the health of the economy.

Reducing that gap, they write, could be the key to unwinding the current inflationary cycle.

• Thanks 1

Thought of a solution to lack of workers in Nebraska.  Rickets is on a kick of getting people who aren't working back to work.  He thinks he can force them some how to do that.  Well, dude.....my county is now at 1.2% unemployment.  There aren't people here to fill all the jobs even if you got everyone back to work.

So....on the flip side, California has a homeless problem.  I've seen multiple reports showing that at least some of that problem is caused by the housing crisis.  There are people who have jobs or could have jobs but, there is no way in hell they can afford a home in California.  Heck, a run down shack is $400,000.  

So.....Rickets, why don't you put your efforts towards recruiting and figuring out how you can get those people to move to Nebraska. I know one issue is that a homeless person doesn't have the funds to move half way across the nation.  So, help them with that.  Have an effort where you tap into these homeless communities, screen them for actual employable people, put them on busses and bring them to Nebraska where they could have a job and also be able to afford a home.

They then are out of a crappy state with high home prices, extremely high taxes and all the other crap.

Heck, the state could even partner with employers that need workers to help with the program.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Thought of a solution to lack of workers in Nebraska.  Rickets is on a kick of getting people who aren't working back to work.  He thinks he can force them some how to do that.  Well, dude.....my county is now at 1.2% unemployment.  There aren't people here to fill all the jobs even if you got everyone back to work.

So....on the flip side, California has a homeless problem.  I've seen multiple reports showing that at least some of that problem is caused by the housing crisis.  There are people who have jobs or could have jobs but, there is no way in hell they can afford a home in California.  Heck, a run down shack is $400,000.  

So.....Rickets, why don't you put your efforts towards recruiting and figuring out how you can get those people to move to Nebraska. I know one issue is that a homeless person doesn't have the funds to move half way across the nation.  So, help them with that.  Have an effort where you tap into these homeless communities, screen them for actual employable people, put them on busses and bring them to Nebraska where they could have a job and also be able to afford a home.

They then are out of a crappy state with high home prices, extremely high taxes and all the other crap.

Heck, the state could even partner with employers that need workers to help with the program.

And ... it goes without saying that those coastal elite homeless people will probably vote blue once they get to NE!  :clap   Win-Win-Win

But seriously - this is the sort of outside the box thinking we need to be open to.

• Plus1 1
42 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Important point within the article to help explain the growth in the top percentage.

“These SSA wage data are W-2 earnings which include realized stock options and vested stock awards.”

Yep, not surprising the top isn't getting most of their wealth from employers.

3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Yep, not surprising the top isn't getting most of their wealth from employers.

I’m of the opinion that in a publicly traded company, every employee should be offered the same options (relative to salary) as the top C level position gets.  Similar to the health insurance  provision.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1