Economy

21 hours ago, commando said:

if there was only a source of people who wanted to work available to our country.    people willing to come in and do any job at whatever wage they can get.    where are those people?

Where oh where could THOSE people possibly come from?

Common sense is caught between one party that wants to pay people to do nothing and another party that demonizes the solution. And here we are.

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Where oh where could THOSE people possibly come from?

Common sense is caught between one party that wants to pay people to do nothing and another party that demonizes the solution. And here we are.

No s#!t...

I love that some white knighters main reason for easy immigration is so that "those people" will work low paying crappy jobs hahaha

• Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Exactly what I was going to respond. 13.33% to be precise. 

That’s some questionable math if a 13.3% wage increase is not keeping up with a 6.8% increase in cost of living. Although I will say the gubments 6.8% inflation rate seems to be suspiciously low.

It is low especially considering the inflationary pressures of what people use and purchase every single day 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

That’s some questionable math if a 13.3% wage increase is not keeping up with a 6.8% increase in cost of living. Although I will say the gubments 6.8% inflation rate seems to be suspiciously low.

Government members are always lagging behind what people are experiencing. I expect they will continue to be adjusted up. 

This is not a good situation. 

6 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I think it's misleading and I agree with you that the 6.8% seems low.  

I think about it similar to the background on why the African American and Indigenous people talk about reparations.  Doesn't matter if you give a big raise to a $hit salary.  The deficiency isn't one that can be made up by a simple bump.  13.3% raise on $7.50 is far different than a 13.3% raise on $21 (and a 40hr week at $21 is only about $40k annually) tough to do much other than pay bills on that as a single person with rent, car and utlilities (will go further depending where you live of course).  Much less support a family.

1 minute ago, NM11046 said:

I think it's misleading and I agree with you that the 6.8% seems low.  

I think about it similar to the background on why the African American and Indigenous people talk about reparations.  Doesn't matter if you give a big raise to a $hit salary.  The deficiency isn't one that can be made up by a simple bump.  13.3% raise on $7.50 is far different than a 13.3% raise on $21 (and a 40hr week at $21 is only about $40k annually) tough to do much other than pay bills on that as a single person with rent, car and utlilities (will go further depending where you live of course).  Much less support a family.

Oh I agree that it’s getting even tougher to live on a low wage job. But, if the numbers are accurate, a person who gets a 13.3% raise when real inflation is 6.8% is going to be somewhat better off than they were before. But yeah, that doesn’t mean they have it made or that it’s easy.

And BTW, I do not know a single person that is making or a job that pays less than about $13-$15/hr. So the $7.50 example (which is illegal afaik) is not a realistic example. None of my employees are at or below $20/hr. A person should not expect to be able to support a family on a sub $15-20/hr job. Heck it would be tough with 2 people in the family making that wage.

And before anyone chimes in, depending where a person lives, the amounts Ive stated may vary a few bucks. But around here in northern Colorado, $15 per hour isn’t going to go very far. I think fast food joints are starting at more than that. If you’re throwing fries and a burger in a bag, you need to be finding a better job if you want to support a family. Low wage entry level jobs should be for teenagers and short term by nature.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Oh I agree that it’s getting even tougher to live on a low wage job. But, if the numbers are accurate, a person who gets a 13.3% raise when real inflation is 6.8% is going to be somewhat better off than they were before. But yeah, that doesn’t mean they have it made or that it’s easy.

And BTW, I do not know a single person that is making or a job that pays less than about $13-$15/hr. So the $7.50 example (which is illegal afaik) is not a realistic example. None of my employees are at or below $20/hr. A person should not expect to be able to support a family on a sub $15-20/hr job. Heck it would be tough with 2 people in the family making that wage.

And before anyone chimes in, depending where a person lives, the amounts Ive stated may vary a few bucks. But around here in northern Colorado, $15 per hour isn’t going to go very far. I think fast food joints are starting at more than that. If you’re throwing fries and a burger in a bag, you need to be finding a better job if you want to support a family. Low wage entry level jobs should be for teenagers and short term by nature.

I need to do some further research, but I just read an article that said that 6.8% looks high because 2019-20 was an anomaly for inflation low making it look 6.8 larger(?) than is really is, which makes sense with covid and all that I guess.  I want to look at maybe average inflation from year to year and see how 6.8 compares.  Also wages vs. inflation over a set number of years would be interesting  to note if this is an outlier or an overperforming year.

(and I am not sure where I pulled the $7 from - maybe wait staff or something, pretty sad though that my hourly salary knowledge personally is so far back that $7 would have been a significant wage)

(too tired to tackle now)

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

Thank you for confirming!

I understand the people working in one of the candle factories in KY that got hit by the tornado were earning $8.

If you are making $8 an hour while trying to support a family, you’ve most likely made many poor life choices along the way or an immigrant from another country with fewer learned skills to work with.   
People continually staying employed at low wage jobs into their 30’s is a problem they need to address personally.  

• Plus1 2
22 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

If you are making $8 an hour while trying to support a family, you’ve most likely made many poor life choices along the way or an immigrant from another country with fewer learned skills to work with.   
People continually staying employed at low wage jobs into their 30’s is a problem they need to address personally.  

Wow.

So we're blaming the workers not the employers that take advantage of them?  Just want to be clear.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Yes, I’m blaming the 30 plus old worker for having an $8-10 an hour job at that age.  Glad we are clear.  

Well I hope that you or your family never fall on hard times Archy.  And if you do, that you find people are far more empathetic and caring about others than yourself.

• Plus1 2