Year 4 Expectations

33 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

You think Nebraska's problem right now is the Strength and Conditioning coach?  You do know what he has been up against thanks to Riley's staff, right?  https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/driving-for-6-epley-says-husker-strength-coach-duval-has-adjusted-well-to-not-ideal/article_f17ef378-4623-59f6-bb36-19fe355e76a3.html

steve brule what GIF

Those issues were actually caused by Epley himself.  

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

So why does Duval need to be replaced?

From posts I've read over the season it seems to me there are posters who think Duval is too focused on strength and not enough on speed.  Which to me seems stupid.  Just by getting stronger you will typically become faster (yes I know all about fast twitch and the like).  Not like he is creating a bunch of bodybuilders who look like lumbering buffoons on the field.  That being said I don't think he should be replaced.  He's gotten guys stronger which helps with overall physicality and confidence.  

• Plus1 3
28 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

From posts I've read over the season it seems to me there are posters who think Duval is too focused on strength and not enough on speed.  Which to me seems stupid.  Just by getting stronger you will typically become faster (yes I know all about fast twitch and the like).  Not like he is creating a bunch of bodybuilders who look like lumbering buffoons on the field.  That being said I don't think he should be replaced.  He's gotten guys stronger which helps with overall physicality and confidence.  

I agree- The crazy part is those guys complaining have no clue what is going on in the weight room.  I was hoping Stumpy would put more than a sentence or two together to try to explain why he thinks someone should get fired.  I think the reality is we have a handful of fans that want to have something to point at right now.  They want to place blame somewhere.  I am optimistic and truly think Scott will right the ship.  That said, he is the only person who should be feeling the heat.  It's what he signed up for...      

• Plus1 1

59 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Okay, so throwing a counter question out from the "stupid" demographic portion of the board:  Are you making the argument that Matt Farniok's performance potential was maximized by pushing his body weight up above 320 lbs? 

3 minutes ago, Canadian Fan said:

Okay, so throwing a counter question out from the "stupid" demographic portion of the board:  Are you making the argument that Matt Farniok's performance potential was maximized by pushing his body weight up above 320 lbs? 

I don't remember if Matt Farniok was a physical specimen when he came in but I'm willing to bet a lot of that was good weight.  I also don't know if Matt Farniok was doing everything that was asked of him.  Maybe he liked lifting weights but hating doing the agility stuff.  I add that because I'm guessing the next part will be how reaching 320 greatly affected his lateral movement and quickness.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Canadian Fan said:

He put on 16 pounds from the time he arrived.  Rivals in 2016 had him at 319 and 6'5".  His senior year he is listed at 6'6" and 335.  Pretty reasonable a guy puts on some muscle weight and also gains some growing another inch.    

I think his performance potential was hampered by the spare tire personally.

54654208_MattFarniok.thumb.jpg.6a43ec9022b3aa7bae4b5a6f70afa361.jpg

• Plus1 1

Im not a fan of Duval because he, like many other Huskers and Husker Fans, are still stuck in the 90's.   

S&C has changed so much in the last 30 years that we need to stay with the changes.  

A lot of fans want to push blame on Riley and his S&C staff for the way our players were but they were more up to date with what was going in the S&C world then what Duval has been so far.   Philipp and crew did have the player doing back squats but not as consistently as Duval.  They put more focus on DLs,  Power Snatch and Front Squats.  They also focused on lifts like split squats and lunges.  

The article that Hilltop posted earlier where Epley made a comment about equipment being brought back in was a load of crap.  That equipment was actually moved out during Dobsen's time because they had no reason to use it.  Epley had it brought back in when Bo and company were let go and Philipp had it removed again because it didnt fit into his program.  The reason Epley is/was pissed is because he designed and held the patents on some of the equipment and didnt like that is was getting pushed aside.  

• Haha 1
20 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

I appreciate the better explanation.  It's interesting what they are working on and obviously, now that Ballou and Rhea have been hired by Saban, lends more credibility to the approach.  I am guessing a lot of programs are taking notice.

Duval gives the impression that he is stuck in the 90s but he is a science guy as well.  Not everything he is working on gets out to the media but here is a quick, feel good article, that touches on some of his approach.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-ucf-football-strength-program-0807-20160806-story.html

My impression is Duval is a guy who is willing to adapt but time will tell.  

1 hour ago, Stumpy1 said:

Im not a fan of Duval because he, like many other Huskers and Husker Fans, are still stuck in the 90's.   

S&C has changed so much in the last 30 years that we need to stay with the changes.  

A lot of fans want to push blame on Riley and his S&C staff for the way our players were but they were more up to date with what was going in the S&C world then what Duval has been so far.   Philipp and crew did have the player doing back squats but not as consistently as Duval.  They put more focus on DLs,  Power Snatch and Front Squats.  They also focused on lifts like split squats and lunges.  

The article that Hilltop posted earlier where Epley made a comment about equipment being brought back in was a load of crap.  That equipment was actually moved out during Dobsen's time because they had no reason to use it.  Epley had it brought back in when Bo and company were let go and Philipp had it removed again because it didnt fit into his program.  The reason Epley is/was pissed is because he designed and held the patents on some of the equipment and didnt like that is was getting pushed aside.  

Honest question:  How do you know exactly what kind of program they have implemented now and how much that differs from what you think they should be doing?  What, specifically, are the differences?

• Plus1 5