** 2021 Opponent Previews : Buffalo (Game 3) **

CollegeFootballNews

This might be the most maddening program in college football over the last three seasons. The 2021 team should be working in pushing for its fourth-straight MAC championship, but instead, the program is still trying for its second one ever since Turner Gill pulled it off in 2008. Lance Leipold is a brilliant coach who turned Buffalo back around, but after getting through the rocky parts early on, finishing his six-year run with two division titles is a bit of a disappointment considering how dominant his teams turned out to be. Now he’s off to Kansas and new head man Maurice Linguist is walking into a nice situation.

There might be some big losses on the offensive line and with RB Jaret Patterson done, but the defensive back seven will be good, the running game should still be great, and there’s no reason to not keep shooting for the MAC championship. There’s no Toledo to deal with from the West – that’s a big deal this year – but the road games at Kent State, Miami University and Ball State will be a grind. For the 37-year-old new guy who’s never been a coordinator – much less a head coach – there might be a few mistakes here and there, but Linguist is a rising star who has the team to at least come up with a winning season and get the Bulls to its fourth straight bowl appearance.

SET THE BUFFALO BULLS REGULAR SEASON WIN TOTAL AT … 7

Offense | Defense | Top Players | Keys To The Season | Season Prediction

More coming soon...

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I will be honest.  I felt very unsure about the Buffalo game, because of Leipold's recent success and saying something similar to "you have to learn how to win.  Then you can expect to win when you play, no matter who you play".  Plus they even had a moment in the top 25 last season (respect).

So after the news about Leipold going to KU, I feel a lot better now.

• Plus1 1
On 4/30/2021 at 3:05 PM, admo said:

I will be honest.  I felt very unsure about the Buffalo game, because of Leipold's recent success and saying something similar to "you have to learn how to win.  Then you can expect to win when you play, no matter who you play".  Plus they even had a moment in the top 25 last season (respect).

So after the news about Leipold going to KU, I feel a lot better now.

I totally understand.  I was feeling this way as well ... especially about getting to four W's.  With this news and the Fordham add, I'm feeling 25% better that we can get to our goal.  If we can keep tinkering with the schedule and add an additional cream puff and get to 6 non-conference games each year [preferable all at home] ... we are really gonna put ourselves back on the map.  :-)

• Haha 1

The key part of the Buffalo coaching swap and the Fordham move is the potential for momentum that wasn't there initally.  Could now be 3-0 heading into Norman and potentially 4-1 at the end of September if we can beat MSU.  That would be huge for getting a bowl berth with an Ohio State, Wisconsin and Iowa November now. We also get a bye between OSU and Wisky, which will be nice.  Momentum and a boost of confidence could the be thing that actually cements a winning mentality and allows a corner to actually be turned around here.

I would say 3-2 is the floor expectation now in September, can't be worse than that.  Kool aid meter is slowly increasing...

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 3
10 hours ago, runningblind said:

The key part of the Buffalo coaching swap and the Fordham move is the potential for momentum that wasn't there initally.  Could now be 3-0 heading into Norman and potentially 4-1 at the end of September if we can beat MSU.  That would be huge for getting a bowl berth with an Ohio State, Wisconsin and Iowa November now. We also get a bye between OSU and Wisky, which will be nice.  Momentum and a boost of confidence could the be thing that actually cements a winning mentality and allows a corner to actually be turned arouns here.

I would say 3-2 is the floor expectation now in September, can't be worse than that.  Kool aid meter is slowly increasing...

If they are heading into Norman at 3-0 I wouldn't count it as an automatic loss like some people.  A little confidence can go a long way.  They should know they haven't really played anyone but if they are playing well and have stayed healthy anything can happen.  But say you stomp Forham then squeak by Buffalo and Illinois then I would call it an L in Norman.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

On 5/12/2021 at 3:38 PM, Mavric said:

It will be interesting to see if Leipold can do better than what Frost has done in pulling most of his staff from Buffalo.  Frost pulled 100% of his staff to Lincoln and Leipold brought 5.  Will keeping 5 of the Kansas coaches bring stability and continuance that was missing the first years under Frost?  Time will tell how successful he'll be in Kansas.

• Mavric changed the title to ** 2021 Opponent Previews : Buffalo (Game 3) **