** 2021 Opponent Previews : Ohio State (Game 9) **

42 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I think we all know Ohio State is on a completely different level than Michigan, Michigan State, etc...  

It is obvious the point you are trying to make but it's ridiculous.  We need to learn how to beat middle of the road west teams before we worry about how we measure up to the elite teams in the country.

How is it ridiculous to expect that we can play OSU close (or win) in year 4 of Frost when we only lost by one score to OSU in Year 1...an OSU team that had some ups and downs yet still finished the season 13-1 and ranked #3? 

Wasn't Frost hired to win big games like against Ohio State by this point in his tenure? 

12 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

How is it ridiculous to expect that we can play OSU close (or win) in year 4 of Frost when we only lost by one score to OSU in Year 1...an OSU team that had some ups and downs yet still finished the season 13-1 and ranked #3? 

Wasn't Frost hired to win big games like against Ohio State by this point in his tenure? 

Yes, everyone wants us to be able to beat top 5 teams in year 4.  Reality is, we aren’t there.  We could beat them. But probably won’t. 

there is a hell of a lot of room though before that we need to get through. 

54 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

The ridiculous part is expecting us to compete at an elite level when we are struggling to beat anyone right now.  It would be a hell of an accomplishment for this team to win 3 of our remaining 4.  If that happens, who cares what the Ohio State score was imo.

• Plus1 1
57 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

The ridiculous part is expecting us to compete at an elite level when we are struggling to beat anyone right now.  It would be a hell of an accomplishment for this team to win 3 of our remaining 4.  If that happens, who cares what the Ohio State score was imo.

We competed with 3 other top 10 teams already as we have with mediocre teams.  For those saying we are "close," what are we close to exactly?  

As for OSU, I do think the outcome matters as OSU has been the benchmark in the BIG for years. The score differential really should matter if we want to see how our team measures up.

• Plus1 3

I wouldn't put a lot of weight into a "close loss" to Ohio State as being a turning point.

Close wins OSU has had recently.

Last year vs Indiana.  Look how good Indiana is this year.

In 2018 they had two close wins.  PSU and Nebraska.

2019 PSU was good, but 2019 Nebraska was 5-7.

1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

We competed with 3 other top 10 teams already as we have with mediocre teams.  For those saying we are "close," what are we close to exactly?  

As for OSU, I do think the outcome matters as OSU has been the benchmark in the BIG for years. The score differential really should matter if we want to see how our team measures up.

How many times are you going to ask what we're "close" to when it's been answered dozens of times and has its own thread?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
49 minutes ago, TheSker said:

How many times are you going to ask what we're "close" to when it's been answered dozens of times and has its own thread?

I must have missed it but I just looked at all the threads across the first 2 pages and did not see a "We're Close" thread.  

With that said, how do you define what being close means? Or do you prefer to sit back, ask questions of others, make sarcastic comments, but not really put out any meaningful dialogue?

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I must have missed it but I just looked at all the threads across the first 2 pages and did not see a "We're Close" thread.  

With that said, how do you define what being close means? Or do you prefer to sit back, ask questions of others, make sarcastic comments, but not really put out any meaningful dialogue?

I'll insert myself directly into this disagreement as I keep seeing references to being "close" and "turning a corner". In my opinion, there is no such thing as "turning" a corner, you either have turned it or you haven't.  You're either capable of playing good enough to have taken then next step or you're not.  It is a process, sure, but in 4 years this team has not turned the corner to playing winning football. That said, being "close" is a pretty subjective concept and only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades right? All off season there was talk of SP+ improvements and strides in metrics. That is all fun to read through but when the team still ends up 3-5 through 8 games with those improvements it doesn't matter a bit.  Yes the schedule is hard, but who cares? You play the hand you're dealt and you either get it done or you don't. 

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I'll insert myself directly into this disagreement as I keep seeing references to being "close" and "turning a corner". In my opinion, there is no such thing as "turning" a corner, you either have turned it or you haven't.  You're either capable of playing good enough to have taken then next step or you're not.  It is a process, sure, but in 4 years this team has not turned the corner to playing winning football. That said, being "close" is a pretty subjective concept and only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades right? All off season there was talk of SP+ improvements and strides in metrics. That is all fun to read through but when the team still ends up 3-5 through 8 games with those improvements it doesn't matter a bit.  Yes the schedule is hard, but who cares? You play the hand you're dealt and you either get it done or you don't. 

Thanks for sharing your views.  In my line of business that is how talent and performance is judged, and the more objective the criteria for evaluation, the more fair the process is. I have had to let go of people I liked on a personal level that simply did not meet expectations.  It's not an easy thing to do, but sometimes a person is just not the right fit for a particular job.  It does not mean they cannot take their strengths elsewhere and have success.  I am with you on wanting to see results here and now as the time for "next year" had already passed.  

• 2 weeks later...

We all know our defensive scheme will be catch and tackle (hopefully some of you know this by now?)

OSU will pull the Huskers front 7 (box) in with some inside runs, and pick and pop the outside on quick [pass routes.  They catch, we tackle.  Short gains (8-10 yards).  All the way to the red zone, where the field shortens. 

Come on yall, that's been happening all year. Give up the field bewteen the 20s, and toughen up near the red zone.  Just don't give up the big play.

On offense, we can move between the 20's too.  3 and outs won't cut it, nor will 5 and outs.  But we have the talent offensively to get down field.  The key will be to remove some of OSU's possessions by gobbling up the clock with long drives (big ten style) as long as we can score touchdowns.  It will frustrate them and give us underdogs a chance.  If we get 28-35, it will definitely be interesting.  I think we can.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, admo said:

We all know our defensive scheme will be catch and tackle (hopefully some of you know this by now?)

OSU will pull the Huskers front 7 (box) in with some inside runs, and pick and pop the outside on quick [pass routes.  They catch, we tackle.  Short gains (8-10 yards).  All the way to the red zone, where the field shortens. 

Come on yall, that's been happening all year. Give up the field bewteen the 20s, and toughen up near the red zone.  Just don't give up the big play.

On offense, we can move between the 20's too.  3 and outs won't cut it, nor will 5 and outs.  But we have the talent offensively to get down field.  The key will be to remove some of OSU's possessions by gobbling up the clock with long drives (big ten style) as long as we can score touchdowns.  It will frustrate them and give us underdogs a chance.  If we get 28-35, it will definitely be interesting.  I think we can.

Puff, puff, pass.