QB Daniel Kaelin

HuskerBoard Predictor  

28 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Kaelin commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, Decked said:

Michigan State has like 1 QB on that roster. 2 assuming they get the OSU portal QB. 

Probably doesn’t feel very good when a staff says your our guy for 7-8 months and then a week before signing day they say we are now brining in the number 1-3 QB in the country. 

I fully understand why he's looking.  And, even though I hope he sticks with Nebraska, I would gladly take Raiola even if it means he's gone.

But, I stand by my opinion that, if we are bringing in a good QB coach, why not stick with Nebraska.  He's not going to start next year pretty much no matter where he goes.  So, stick with Nebraska, get some good coaching, reevaluate in a year and transfer if needed.  OR....maybe weird things happen and you end up QB1 here.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, brophog said:

Probably a good sign that Raiola is coming.

I still don't like to see it, though. You jump ship because they recruit someone else, but then you go to another place and they still are going to recruit guys there, too.

There's just too many unknowns in this game over the course of the next 4 or 5 years to jump ship because of one recruit.

If we really are getting former 5 star McCord for 1 year, followed by 5 star Raiola for a couple years after that, you see the writing on the wall as a 3 star guy.  Could he win the job still?  Sure, but I would evaluate all my options personally.

• TBH 5
6 minutes ago, Decked said:

Michigan State has like 1 QB on that roster. 2 assuming they get the OSU portal QB. 

Probably doesn’t feel very good when a staff says your our guy for 7-8 months and then a week before signing day they say we are now brining in the number 1-3 QB in the country. 

Does Chiles have 3 or 4 years eligibility? Supposing he goes to MSU...

• TBH 1
Just now, runningblind said:

If we really are getting former 5 star McCord for 1 year, followed by 5 star Raiola for a couple years after that, you see the writing on the wall as a 3 star guy.  Could he win the job still?  Sure, but why wouldn't you go somewhere with an easier path?  The hope is Nebraska has success for those big name guys and more want to sign up.

maybe he does know that we are getting both McCord and Raiola?    or is he seeing the hype and looking and we could possibly end up with none of them?

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Decked said:

Michigan State has like 1 QB on that roster.

And where will they be at a year from now? 2 years from now? Look at Nebraska's QB room between the start of spring ball this year to what it could be at the end of spring this year. Things change incredibly fast in this era.

7 minutes ago, Decked said:

Big boy football often leaves someone out in the cold. 

Yeah. That means you're constantly getting recruited over. Even if Nebraska gets all of their wishlist this week, there still aint a lot of numbers in that room next year.

We're seeing around 80 QBs or so a year enter the portal. They ain't all happy stories at the end of the day. Not a lot of true freshman QBs getting P5 starting jobs, either. You go basically anywhere worth going to and you're going to have to dodge prep recruits and transfers and beat someone out for a job and then go do it again the next year.

1 minute ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Not in the least bit surprising. I'd also expect Chubba Purdy to enter the portal if/when McCord/Raiola commit.

Our likely QB room next year will be KM -> DR -> HH. Not taking a HS QB last year was maybe not the best choice.

Agreed on all fronts.

14 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Not in the least bit surprising. I'd also expect Chubba Purdy to enter the portal if/when McCord/Raiola commit.

Our likely QB room next year will be KM -> DR -> HH. Not taking a HS QB last year was maybe not the best choice.

I know we've all been down on Haarberg's QB play, but if your 3rd string guy has already been on campus a couple of years, is a local boy, has nine starts under his belt, and is a good teammate to boot, that's a pretty good QB room. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 4

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I fully understand why he's looking.  And, even though I hope he sticks with Nebraska, I would gladly take Raiola even if it means he's gone.

But, I stand by my opinion that, if we are bringing in a good QB coach, why not stick with Nebraska.  He's not going to start next year pretty much no matter where he goes.  So, stick with Nebraska, get some good coaching, reevaluate in a year and transfer if needed.  OR....maybe weird things happen and you end up QB1 here.

There would be a lot of factors into Kaelin potentially sticking with Nebraska, first would be how hard the staff pushes to keep him in, and probably the most overlooked one would be how he gets along with Raiola.  They have been around each other in a few settings.  

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, floridacorn said:

There would be a lot of factors into Kaelin potentially sticking with Nebraska, first would be how hard the staff pushes to keep him in, and probably the most overlooked one would be how he gets along with Raiola.  They have been around each other in a few settings.  

If his goal is to be a starter though, it's a much easier road to go elsewhere than trying to beat out a 5-star legacy QB who is regarded as a Top 3 HS QB this year. Sucks for DK, but probably best for all parties if he looks elsewhere.

Makes you wonder if Missouri is thinking about making a run at DK. They had him before when we were chasing DR. 

We lost out DR, Missouri probably was not too surprised that DK came back home. 

Now that DR is back in the picture, maybe the Tigers start thinking about reaching out to DK the same way we are trying to reach out to DR.

The only thing that would suck is a future where DR/KM don't work out and DK does really well for MU or Mich State or someone else and then reflects back on it in some TV interview like Burrow did.

That said, best wishes to all and hopefully all the QB news is the first sign that Nebraska is turning a corner with Coach Ruhle.

15 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

If his goal is to be a starter though, it's a much easier road to go elsewhere than trying to beat out a 5-star legacy QB who is regarded as a Top 3 HS QB this year. Sucks for DK, but probably best for all parties if he looks elsewhere.

QBs transfer all the time.

So, if it were me, I would go to a decent program and where I thought I was going to get the best coaching my freshman year.  What other top QBs are in the room would be way down the list of priorities.  

1 hour ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

If his goal is to be a starter though, it's a much easier road to go elsewhere than trying to beat out a 5-star legacy QB who is regarded as a Top 3 HS QB this year.

If we look at top rated QBs over the past few years, then there's a better than average chance Raiola eventually transfers.

I feel very argumentative in this thread and I don't want to be but I feel I'm fighting against a wave of very short term thinking that is in no way indicative of how college football actually is functioning right now.

This article on QB transfers has some insane stats on how ridiculously prolific QB transfers have become.

• Plus1 2
  • Mavric changed the title to QB Daniel Kaelin