Scott Frost's fate under new AD

Hagg

On 7/12/2021 at 11:55 AM, hunter49 said:

i think Frost brining his whole staff hurt him in the eyes of Green, maybe Moos too.

oh to be a mouse in the corner.

Yes, the ability to get a entire staff, many of whom from an undefeated team in place on short notice while agreeing to coach his former team in a high level bowl game whilst recruiting for Nebraska and transitioning to a new team leaves a real bad taste in the mouth. Very poor character move  :facepalm:

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1

3 minutes ago, hagg said:

I'm of the same thought processes that a member here posted recently pointing out that Frost stepped into something that was more of a deep mess than he expected, and thus the ongoing dismal performances against other struggling teams (bad teams).  I can't vilify him too much, knowing that.. but I do find myself really wondering if he's been handed something that is just out of his abilties.  Man I hope not.  I hope that he's clever and sees the big picture and has a plan.  

Doubts are setting in.  Let's see what happens this year. 

If you look at Nebraska’s peers historically, 17-27 and no bowls over 4 years gets you fired 99.9% of the time. So shouldn’t shock people to see Frost on these types of lists. Frost could be the exception to that rule, but I don’t blame writers to see the name Nebraska and that resume - and say that seat has got to be hot. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

If you look at Nebraska’s peers historically, 17-27 and no bowls over 4 years gets you fired 99.9% of the time. So shouldn’t shock people to see Frost on these types of lists. Frost could be the exception to that rule, but I don’t blame writers to see the name Nebraska and that resume - and say that seat has got to be hot. 

Especially when Harbaugh is on these lists.   People think Nebraska fans have unrealistic expectations, geesh.  Harbaugh was 28-11 in his first three at UM.  If Frost had that same record at this point, any mention of a hot seat would get ridiculed.   

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, hagg said:

Okay, jerk.  You're trying to make this about me, and not about the subject at hand.  Every forum has one or two or a few dozen.  Grow the hell up and look at the issues we're talking about, which here and now is Frost's inclusion in a group of HC's around the country who could well be shown the door if they don't show some improvements on the field.

Well, that's not very nice. I'm simply saying that, deserved or not, yes frequently Nebraska is included in articles because it generates clicks. Journalists aren't in the business of writing articles no one sees, and Nebraska Fans will click their links.

If we weren't such a draw, they'd include Frost's name but not put him on the cover of their article. Why lead with such a small-population team if it doesn't make them money?

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Especially when Harbaugh is on these lists.   People think Nebraska fans have unrealistic expectations, geesh.  Harbaugh was 28-11 in his first three at UM.  If Frost had that same record at this point, any mention of a hot seat would get ridiculed.   

Harbaugh is on this list because Michigan Fan will click the link, AND because he hasn't beaten Ohio State.  He could be 34-6 with each loss to the Buckeyes and be on their hot seat.

Kinda like Osborne was when he took over for Devaney. Tom won a bunch of games every year, but he couldn't beat Oklahoma. If he hadn't beaten them in 1978, he'd have been fired. 

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Yeah pretty simple formula. If youre at a school like Nebraska, Tennessee, Va Tech, USC, Florida and your below .500 after 3+ your name is on a hot seat list. If your at a school like Michigan or Texas and you can’t beat OSU and Oklahoma. Your name is on a hot seat list. 

Just now, FrantzHardySwag said:

Yeah pretty simple formula. If youre at a school like Nebraska, Tennessee, Va Tech, USC, Florida and your below .500 after 3+ your name is on a hot seat list. If your at a school like Michigan or Texas and you can’t beat OSU and Oklahoma. Your name is on a hot seat list. 

Who's on the cover of the article, though? 

50 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

If my research is right, there is only 1 B1G coach in the last 20 years to go bowl-less 4 straight seasons and get a 5th season. That was Kevin Wilson. So Frost would be in some uncharted waters if we go 5-7 or worse this year, especially for a blue blood. 

So what I hear is, you’re saying we have the next Kevin Wilson? ;) 

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Who's on the cover of the article, though? 

Oh they totally chose the 2 most polarizing names to advertise the story. I’m just saying nationally you’re gonna be hard pressed to find a hot seat list without Frost. Locally we take more into consideration (Green likes him, Riley mess, well liked by fans). But nationally from the 1000 ft view, Frost fits their criteria - underwhelming results at a program that expects results. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
27 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

So what I hear is, you’re saying we have the next Kevin Wilson? ;) 

Wilson is a pretty good coach. Indiana had just 3 six wins or more teams in 23 years and 2 of them were under Wilson. As OC at Oklahoma and OSU he has done really well. He took Indiana to two bowl games and made them a much tougher out the longer he was there. 

Not necessarily regarding that article, I think one of the reasons Frost may not be on the hot seat for the Administration is the desire for stability in the program. We absolutely haven't had that the past 20 years, with five head coaches and five (going on six) Athletic Directors - and that doesn't count interim ADs. 

I don't know if Frost is the right guy. Maybe @hagg is correct and Frost is just in over his head. But maybe even if that's true, we just ride with him for a while. Losing sucks, but it's stability. 

O59tk72.png

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

And, many of those peers continue to flounder, I believe in part, because they constantly are changing coaches, staffs, schemes...etc.

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And, many of those peers continue to flounder, I believe in part, because they constantly are changing coaches, staffs, schemes...etc.

Oklahoma is the only team that immediately comes to mind who fired their way into a good coaching hire. After Switzer it went Gibbs / Schnellenberger / Blake in ten years, then they hired Stoops and took off again. 

13 hours ago, hagg said:

To answer your question, no.  To respond to your reasoning,  to insert Nebraska's horrid new HC's record as a likely reason to have him removed very likely is not to garner clicks from our great but tiny state (population-wise).  He's included in the hot seat for real reasons.  Unfortunately.  The sports writers are not wrong this time.  The article is speculation by definition.. but SF being there seems real enough.

There are hundreds of thousands of Nebraska fans that don't live in Nebraska, by the way :thumbs

18 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Yep. This record gets to fired at Kansas and Iowa state pre Matt Campbell