Civility; A Primer

ci·vil·i·ty   noun  formal politeness and courtesy in behavior or speech.
Some tips for those 4th of July gatherings. 
"In a deeply divided America, a casual political debate can easily spiral into a shouting match — even if both parties set out to keep things civil. So how can we talk about thorny issues with people who fundamentally disagree with us?"
  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

He's apparently John Lithgow's character from Footloose. 

I love that movie but I still have no idea how it got green lit.

"So, here me out, there is this kid who moves to a small town from Chicago and get this, he LOVES dancing"

- "okay, and?"

"And the town he moves to, get this, they have banned dancing!"

-"Okay, and"

"That is it, that is the movie, the kid fights for his right to dance, even though he is like 18 and a senior and leaving the town in about 4 months"

• Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
On 7/2/2021 at 11:08 AM, JJ Husker said:

So, to summarize, to keep political discourse civil, basically do the opposite of what transpires in the P&R forum on a daily basis. :D

There is no chance that any of the hardcore posters in the PR actually talk to people in real life the way they post, it just can't happen.  Or maybe it does and I am just the crazy one.

I just can't imagine being out golfing and being like "f#&%, it cost me like 60 dollars to fill up me car yesterday" only for a dude in my group to be like "Here, check out this link, you commie!" 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
49 minutes ago, teachercd said:

There is no chance that any of the hardcore posters in the PR actually talk to people in real life the way they post, it just can't happen.  Or maybe it does and I am just the crazy one.

I just can't imagine being out golfing and being like "f#&%, it cost me like 60 dollars to fill up me car yesterday" only for a dude in my group to be like "Here, check out this link, you commie!" 

If you golf, you make too much money!

You should pay higher taxes!

• Oh Yeah! 1