What’s your (unpopular) Husker hot take?

5 hours ago, Fru said:

It’s funny you mention the adoration of Scott causing people to overlook his shortcomings, because I feel like that’s kind of happening with Rhule to a degree too.

I agree with that.  The difference is with Rhule it's because of the job he's doing, with Frost it was in spite of the job he was doing.

20 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think aiming to be among the Minnesotas and Illinois of the Big 10 is a reasonable expectation, and if they can throw a scare or an Iowa-or-better upset into the mix, it might even be a fun season. 

Man, no way.

Look, those teams suck.  With how NU recruits and should keep recruiting, NU should be in the top 4ish of the Big Ten each year.

OSU and Michigan (if JH stays), then the next two spots are between USC, PSU (Sort of) and NU.

NU sucked last year and almost beat everyone they played.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 5
24 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I agree with that.  The difference is with Rhule it's because of the job he's doing, with Frost it was in spite of the job he was doing.

Ehh I think in Spring of 2018, everyone thought Scott was doing an excellent job. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Man, no way.

Look, those teams suck.  With how NU recruits and should keep recruiting, NU should be in the top 4ish of the Big Ten each year.

OSU and Michigan (if JH stays), then the next two spots are between USC, PSU (Sort of) and NU.

Agreed. There’s no reason we can’t be as competitive as Wisconsin or Penn St in the B1G.

At our worst we’ve still always out recruited the B1G West and most of the East. If this program can find some relative success in the NIL era, recruiting should absolutely take off and elevate us to B1G Title Game appearances. 

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Man, no way.

With the way recruiting works, Nebraska isn't significantly more talented than teams like Minnesota. 

In 2023, Nebraska had the #24 class with four 4* players. The team that finished with the #50 class had three 4* players. (Illinois had the #43 class and three 4* players, Minnesota at #44 and two 4* players, etc).

The team that finished with the #15 class - 9 spots ahead - had two 5* and eleven 4* players, 3x the Blue Chip talent. 

In other words, teams that finish with classes ranked ~25th are much closer to teams that finish 50th in terms of talent than they do with teams that finish 15th. The primary difference between teams that finish 25th-50th is class size.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

With the way recruiting works, Nebraska isn't significantly more talented than teams like Minnesota. 

In 2023, Nebraska had the #24 class with four 4* players. The team that finished with the #50 class had three 4* players. (Illinois had the #43 class and three 4* players, Minnesota at #44 and two 4* players, etc).

The team that finished with the #15 class - 9 spots ahead - had two 5* and eleven 4* players, 3x the Blue Chip talent. 

In other words, teams that finish with classes ranked ~25th are much closer to teams that finish 50th in terms of talent than they do with teams that finish 15th. The primary difference between teams that finish 25th-50th is class size.

I mean, you can keep thinking that PU and Illinois are great teams...but with normal coaching, NU is a 9 win team during bad years.

There is a reason the betting lines have been. what they have been the last 4 years...during the glory years of Minny and PU football.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Fru said:

Agreed. There’s no reason we can’t be as competitive as Wisconsin or Penn St in the B1G.

At our worst we’ve still always out recruited the B1G West and most of the East. If this program can find some relative success in the NIL era, recruiting should absolutely take off and elevate us to B1G Title Game appearances. 

Wisconsin is done.  They will not fall back to being as bad as they. used to be but they will be like Iowa...celebrating 7 wins.

• Plus1 2
14 hours ago, teachercd said:

I mean, you can keep thinking that PU and Illinois are great teams...but with normal coaching, NU is a 9 win team during bad years.

There is a reason the betting lines have been. what they have been the last 4 years...during the glory years of Minny and PU football.

I don't think those teams are great, they're merely solid teams that can make it to bowl games.

Nebraska is no longer a 9 win team with "normal" coaches. It's much, much more difficult now than when Bo was doing that a decade ago.

Firstly, the on field talent isn't decidedly in Nebraska's favor anymore, as explained by increasing recruiting consolidation in the sport. Secondly, flush with cash, all B1G teams have hired quality coaches and each can afford an army of Analysts to help the team prepare each week. Beating up on teams with less resources isn't really a thing in the B1G anymore. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

14 hours ago, teachercd said:

Wisconsin is done.  They will not fall back to being as bad as they. used to be but they will be like Iowa...celebrating 7 wins.

I hope that’s the case. If there was ever a program that needed to be knocked down a peg or two.

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I don't think those teams are great, they're merely solid teams that can make it to bowl games.

Nebraska is no longer a 9 win team with "normal" coaches. It's much, much more difficult now than when Bo was doing that a decade ago.

Firstly, the on field talent isn't decidedly in Nebraska's favor anymore, as explained by increasing recruiting consolidation in the sport. Secondly, flush with cash, all B1G teams have hired quality coaches and each can afford an army of Analysts to help the team prepare each week. Beating up on teams with less resources isn't really a thing in the B1G anymore. 

I guess we will see!

1 hour ago, Fru said:

I hope that’s the case. If there was ever a program that needed to be knocked down a peg or two.

Their fan base is not all that into FB, especially if they are struggling.  Luke is a nice hire on paper but he is about to change pretty much everything about that program. I  agree, they need to be knocked down a few pegs.