New Staff Selection

4 minutes ago, HANC said:

Has anyone given credence to the fact that people also apply for a job and the HC and AD kind of choose after interviews? I understand that in the big market for HC, teams pursue hires. SF said two weeks ago that he was pleased and surprised at how many quality candidates had made contact with extreme interest. Maybe we haven’t struck out and aren’t in a panic. 

I'd say the best case scenario is we have 1A choice who is still deciding and if not we have a back up plan ready to go if 1A declines. 

Or we swung and missed and now we need a miracle from all the staff turnover. 

• Plus1 1

48 minutes ago, captain_sasquatch said:

My biggest fear is that Frost is looking for a splash hire and has struck out so far.

I don't think that's really much of a problem. In most cases like that, the splash guy will just say they're not interested, and you move on. It's not something that's going to be a big waste of time or anything. I did see one rumor like a week ago that Mullen and Herman were both contacted - why not at least reach out to them? - but talks didn't go very far.

51 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

Did we make the intelligent hiring while waiting over 40 days hiring Callahan?

I know it is different, but with an early signing program, this feels like it is taking a long time.

I do wonder if Frost got left at the altar by someone, like Pederson did. But I also kinda feel like things have changed in the coaching world since 2003. Coaches at places like OU and Notre Dame are not just leaving teams at the altar, but leaving seemingly stable marriages. When you look at that, I would almost have to say that even if Frost did get left at the altar, it sucks but doesn't necessarily even mean that he did something wrong. It's just the way the coaching world is these days.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, HANC said:

Has anyone given credence to the fact that people also apply for a job and the HC and AD kind of choose after interviews? I understand that in the big market for HC, teams pursue hires. SF said two weeks ago that he was pleased and surprised at how many quality candidates had made contact with extreme interest. Maybe we haven’t struck out and aren’t in a panic. 

You are correct that with standard job openings there is a more formal process of taking all the applications, holding interviews and then making a decision.  I do not believe that is how things are done with college football though as we have seen with all the coaching carousel taking place.  Calls and contacts are made well before the public ever knows, and some of those informal discussions are like the interviews.  Now if all the candidates Frost was interested in said they would not talk until after the regular season ended, that would be the only explanation for why things are taking so long.  

I think most fans assumed Frost had locked down who he wanted and we were waiting to announce until after the championship games ended this weekend.  Assuming the OC is somebody that coached on Saturday, that OC would then need to have time to meet with his team Sunday or Monday (today) to let them know they are leaving, and once that has happened then Nebraska would have their announcements ready to go out.  Thus I am still holding out hope we will hear something today or tomorrow at the latest.  

we are not going to be able to fill this OC job with a top notch guy, we should have dumped Frost. A real talented guy is not going to work as OC here.

more likely we will get a young guy from a non Power 5 group or maybe a unproven developing assistant.

i think Trev made a compromised choice and it won't likely turn out well. the longer we wait, the less we have to expect.

just getting a dedicated ST coach and a real kicker would help.

• Plus1 1

Just now, hunter49 said:

we are not going to be able to fill this OC job with a top notch guy, we should have dumped Frost. A real talented guy is not going to work as OC here.

more likely we will get a young guy from a non Power 5 group or maybe a unproven developing assistant.

i think Trev made a compromised choice and it won't likely turn out well. the longer we wait, the less we have to expect.

just getting a dedicated ST coach and a real kicker would help.

I think regardless of what happens next season a lot less top tier programs are gonna have open jobs. Probably a good year to hire. 

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, Decked said:

I think regardless of what happens next season a lot less top tier programs are gonna have open jobs. Probably a good year to hire. 

I agree.  With 13 P5 teams (20% approx) involved in the coaching carousel this year, we have a much clearer road ahead if we make the change.   Our competition for a quality coach is limited.  Add to this that several blue blood programs made changes this year, our program will be more attractive to the coach willing to take on a rebuild.

Perhaps Texas will be impatient and fire their 2 year coach next year but I can't think of another 'blue blood' who will be in the market next year. 

Perhaps Fickell may be ready to kick the wheels again in the Big 10 or Chadwell would be ready to move up to a P5 conference.  

Question:  wt Mickey Joseph being named Assistant HC, does that place him in the driver's seat to become a Frost replacement if we are looking for a new coach next year?  Was that a requirment  of Joseph to accept the position - to have an inside shot at the HC job if it opened?

Just now, Koltman said:

You can't compare the past to now, it's completely different people at the helm.

I'm not freaking out.  I have rarely posted since the season ended as it does no good for me to have kittens over things I don't know yet (who the coaches are, recruits, portal guys).  I've posted more on portal guys than anything...even that has been sparse.

But to your point, you can absolutely compare to the past.  Thats all we have to measure.

We have one of the best programs, historically,  in college football.  If it's not allowed to compare to the recent past in our absolute bonehead decisions,  are we not allowed to reference & compare past greatness?  We have made horrible decisions since solich...not many good ones.  We may have different faces representing the university...but the money and influence is coming from the same tired bluehairs.

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, Koltman said:

You can't compare the past to now, it's completely different people at the helm.

Yet the results have been similar and even worse. (Insert little guy with shruggy shoulders and hands up)

I’ll exhibit optimism when it becomes warranted. Right now, IMO, the optimists are the loonies with no tangible reasons.

• Fire 1
14 minutes ago, Koltman said:

Hard to tell what point you're making.

We just went 3-9 this year. That's the epitome of doom & gloom, and things like Frost failing to fix the most core elements of a B1G football team like special teams provides a lot of evidence that he's clueless.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
7 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yet the results have been similar and even worse. (Insert little guy with shruggy shoulders and hands up)

I’ll exhibit optimism when it becomes warranted. Right now, IMO, the optimists are the loonies with no tangible reasons.

I'm not saying you have to be optimistic, but almost every time fans get in a tiff about something, especially as advanced as a coaching search, it never pans out to be what was expected/rumored. No one here knows what's going on, and the time it's taking just adds more fuel to the fire of people being speculative. I'm impartial to the length of time it's taken, because the results are not known yet. All that's happening is speculating that the everything is f#&%ed because it's taking longer than we want.

Just now, Undone said:

Hard to tell what point you're making.

We just went 3-9 this year. That's the epitome of doom & gloom, and things like Frost failing to fix the most core elements of a B1G football team like special teams provides a lot of evidence that he's clueless.

I wasn't responding to the performance of the team, but the coaching search itself.

• Plus1 2