New Staff Selection

Let’s take a step back and compare what we lost and where they ended up.

Very telling how respected and good a coach is by his next stop.

Lubick: not coaching anywhere, maybe back to a credit union?

Mario Verduzco: Not coaching anywhere, most likely retiring.

Greg Austin: OL coach at Florida International.

Ryan Held: Offensive Coordinator at North Alabama.

That’s indicative at how bad this staff really was.

IMO every new coach is a big upgrade, with Raiola being the biggest question mark.

Like to see how other than Raiola everyone else was replaced with proven and experienced coaches.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

5 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I think he will be the best hire, maybe.  I like Joseph and am actually very positive on Whip.  Raiola I know little about so just gotta hope Trev & Co are overseeing this stuff.  
Applewhite likewise.  
As some have asked, why the delay to give him the new title?   Maybe the hoped they’d get a RB/ST combo guy and keep Busch in the skybox?   

In Busch, NU got an excellent recruiter as well!  while most don't want to remember HCBC, Busch landed several commits that went on to the NFL (and at least one went in first round of NFL draft).  he was not retained :( by Bo when HCBC got canned.

10 minutes ago, San Diego Husker said:

In Busch, NU got an excellent recruiter as well!  while most don't want to remember HCBC, Busch landed several commits that went on to the NFL (and at least one went in first round of NFL draft).  he was not retained :( by Bo when HCBC got canned.

Busch should have been on staff last year. Better late than never. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 3

5 hours ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

Maybe was not the first option? I know Knox's name came up as a strong candidate. With the guy he landed and what he did with his room seems to be better than Held. Held could recruit guys, but couldn't seem to get them game ready/develop.

Don't think that a deal could be cut with Knox. 

3 hours ago, San Diego Husker said:

His safeties did well as did ST's as a whole.  HUGE upgrade.  Everything else the same, but ST play and we win 2-3 more games (since Frost has been here) IMHO.  

They are all huge upgrades. The problem is that this is the caliber of coach he should have hired from the start. He should be upgrading over these guys at this point not just hiring them.

Hiring a sunbelt staff instead of an actual big ten quality one in the first place means that even though he finally figured it out its likely too late. He's in the same spot Solich was. Frost is a significantly better coach than Frank was but it's gonna take a miracle for him to not end up with the same outcome.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, Blackshirt316 said:

They are all huge upgrades. The problem is that this is the caliber of coach he should have hired from the start. He should be upgrading over these guys at this point not just hiring them.

Hiring a sunbelt staff instead of an actual big ten quality one in the first place means that even though he finally figured it out its likely too late. He's in the same spot Solich was. Frost is a significantly better coach than Frank was but it's gonna take a miracle for him to not end up with the same outcome.

I agree.  But I still think that 2022 is not make or break for Frost. I think he gets 2023 regardless of record.  

As to Frost being better than Frost.......I'd take Frank and his record back any day over Frost.  IMO, Frank should have been given more time after firing his guys.  And I guess, if I am going to be fair,  Frost should deserve another year regardless of record with his staff.....

It's hard to "expect X" record with a new staff, that's never worked together, with new scheme, culture, new center, potential new QB who hasn't worked with anyone on the team etc.....Throw in a D that has to start some new guys in key positions, new DL coach (even though he's known to guys) and it's an uphill climb when you talk all of that. And I stil don't see this "easy/easier" schedule a lot are talking about.  I can see 4-8/6-6.

• Plus1 1

14 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Busch should have been on staff last year. Better late than never. 

This whole hiring a half decent offensive staff should’ve been done before this off-season. Even if these dudes are pretty good it may not work in year one & Scott is gone 

Love this post!!

Also, I don't believe Frostie is gone if he doesn't have a .500 or better record next year either. I think Trev would agree with this post and I think the paycheck boosters are still on Frost's side. (At least most of them. I have a large booster that rents with me and he's pro SF.)

• Plus1 1
59 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Love this post!!

Also, I don't believe Frostie is gone if he doesn't have a .500 or better record next year either. I think Trev would agree with this post and I think the paycheck boosters are still on Frost's side. (At least most of them. I have a large booster that rents with me and he's pro SF.)

Then why make his buyout this next year a drop in the bucket and have it jump back up the following year? There is obviously some level of expectation in terms of wins and losses or doing that was completely pointless. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Decked said:

This whole hiring a half decent offensive staff should’ve been done before this off-season. Even if these dudes are pretty good it may not work in year one & Scott is gone 

Oh I completely agree, this is a year late in my opinion and if we are being honest 4 years late. Frost had the ability with his success at UCF to bring in high caliber elite staffers. He didn't do that and we have 4 losing seasons to show for it. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1