New Staff Selection

32 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

You can blame this on the coaches, but Omaha does not have the same pride for the home state college as other towns.  The coaches made a big deal about Frost not coming there enough and now they're trilled about a position coach stopping.  Hum!

I agree with this. Omaha as a whole feels like they are above the rest of the state including the University. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I agree with this. Omaha as a whole feels like they are above the rest of the state including the University. 

I mean I live in Omaha and there is plenty of husker love here.   Creighton takes some of the basketball love but there is still plenty.  

difference is York, GI, NP, Kearney, and Norfolk aren’t recruited hard by other programs… Omaha is.  I would say that the Omaha and lack of state pride narrative is false.  They just seem to have more opportunities from other schools in comparison to other cities in the state. (Lincoln excluded)

• Plus1 2

Heinrich haarberg had offers from us and Boston college.  Had he played at Bellevue west, he’d have 17+ offers.  Exposure in big cities is different.  It’s not fair to question the loyalty of the Omaha schools to that of say Kearney.  You can’t fault a kid for wanting to find the right fit for him.   If he had had offers from other schools, might he have considered them?

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Huskinator said:

I mean I live in Omaha and there is plenty of husker love here.   Creighton takes some of the basketball love but there is still plenty.  

difference is York, GI, NP, Kearney, and Norfolk aren’t recruited hard by other programs… Omaha is.  I would say that the Omaha and lack of state pride narrative is false.  They just seem to have more opportunities from other schools in comparison to other cities in the state. (Lincoln excluded)

Also, I think there is a difference when Omaha kids think about their next step in life after graduating high school.  When kids graduate high school, a lot of kids are looking "for something bigger" regardless of where you grow up.  For Omaha kids, that "something bigger" is a school in a state super far away from Omaha.  For Omaha kids, going to UNL is a "lateral move", and going to a small school like UNK, Hastings College, Doane, etc. would be a "step down".  For kids outside of Omaha or Lincoln, going to UNL is the "something bigger", and going to a smaller state school would be the "lateral move".

Also, just because Omahans may have stereotypes of people who live outside Omaha and smaller Nebraska cities/towns, doesn't mean that non-Omahans don't have negative stereotypes to Omahans and the city of Omaha.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Also, I think there is a difference when Omaha kids think about their next step in life after graduating high school.  When kids graduate high school, a lot of kids are looking "for something bigger" regardless of where you grow up.  For Omaha kids, that "something bigger" is a school in a state super far away from Omaha.  For Omaha kids, going to UNL is a "lateral move", and going to a small school like UNK, Hastings College, Doane, etc. would be a "step down".  For kids outside of Omaha or Lincoln, going to UNL is the "something bigger", and going to a smaller state school would be the "lateral move".

Also, just because Omahans may have stereotypes of people who live outside Omaha and smaller Nebraska cities/towns, doesn't mean that non-Omahans don't have negative stereotypes to Omahans and the city of Omaha.

Agreed!  There are 722 kids at grand island northwest high school.  9-12 grades.  There are 1,7xx enrolled in just Omaha North.  
Omaha kids are used to being lost in the shuffle (how sad is that) but that’s also why they aren’t afraid to look at bigger schools 

10 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I also agree with the stereotyping. I live in Omaha and work all over Nebraska.  Omaha residents are seen at rude, fast, and unforgiving. I also came from a small town and I know many inner city metro residents view us small town folks as slow and uneducated.  In all reality we’re all similar. My best friend hadn’t been outside of Omaha and Lincoln (he’d go there for the games) his entire life.  For my wedding reception he went to my hometown. Was shocked!  I was shocked he’d never been outside of Omaha!!!

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Huskinator said:

Agreed!  There are 722 kids at grand island northwest high school.  9-12 grades.  There are 1,7xx enrolled in just Omaha North.  
Omaha kids are used to being lost in the shuffle (how sad is that) but that’s also why they aren’t afraid to look at bigger schools 

Good points on school size.  My son goes to a metro-Denver area high school with 2,000 students.  I showed him around UNL this past fall when we went to a Husker game.  To be honest, it was weird how UNL felt small to me.  I know UNL has over 20,000 students, but UNL's city campus is in a tight, geographic area.  Then when we were at my in-laws in Hastings over Christmas, we drove by Hastings College, and my son commented "That's the entire college?".  My thoughts include school size and city size, and thoughts about expanding your geographical thoughts when thinking about a college.

• Plus1 2

9 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I think he may have meant that in- person recruiting was not allowed due to COVID so the staff literally could not go to Omaha, though apparently it didn't stop other coaches...

I agree that the metro recruiting needs to pick up though. 

Good point. But we were losing in Omaha even before COVID hit.

I guess my biggest problem is I grew up in an era where the vast majority of kids wanted to play in Lincoln and we held onto most of the talent. Sure we would lose one now and then but for the most part in state kids stayed in state.

That has all changed now. I need to try to reset my expectations and realize we will still get some in state kids but a lot of best talent is going to be leaving for greener pastures.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Good points on school size.  My son goes to a metro-Denver area high school with 2,000 students.  I showed him around UNL this past fall when we went to a Husker game.  To be honest, it was weird how UNL felt small to me.  I know UNL has over 20,000 students, but UNL's city campus is in a tight, geographic area.  Then when we were at my in-laws in Hastings over Christmas, we drove by Hastings College, and my son commented "That's the entire college?".  My thoughts include school size and city size, and thoughts about expanding your geographical thoughts when thinking about a college.

Truth. I went to a school that had 98 in my graduating class.  I went to a smaller college and I bought 300 kids in my class was a lot. My wife teaches at a middle school in Omaha with 500+ per grade. I couldn’t imagine 

1 minute ago, Huskinator said:

Truth. I went to a school that had 98 in my graduating class.  I went to a smaller college and I bought 300 kids in my class was a lot. My wife teaches at a middle school in Omaha with 500+ per grade. I couldn’t imagine 

We've gone to graduations for my nieces who are from Red Cloud.  They had ~15 students each in their graduating classes.  My wife and I were cracking up at how they do all these things to stretch out the graduation ceremony, and even then it's 30-45 minutes.  On the other hand, I am sure the family from Red Cloud can't comprehend how their cousins in the Denver area graduate with ~400-500 other students, and how you can go to school with someone for 4 years and have no idea who they are.

• Plus1 1