New Staff Selection

2 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

They have said exactly that they want Frost to take a more CEO role and be watching the game for details.

I really believe this line they fed in those pressers is just total bulls*** excuse-making. Where Frost is failing is not in decision making (or lack thereof) during games - it's more on a year-over-year level.

For example, precisely with failing to get special teams into a great place ever since the 2019 season revealed that area was losing us 2-3 games per year. That is the kind of thing that is the job of the head coach to get fixed - and he sucks at seeing the big picture, period.

You fast forward three seasons later and special teams are just as bad as they were in 2019, if not worse.

Frost himself paying more attention to details during games? Frost watching out for bad alignment right before a punt? To me that's exactly what a special teams coach does for you. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

At the beginning of the season, it was talked about a lot that they were going to do that this year.  I remember an interview with Jojo talking about it and he was saying he's' definitely going to be playing special teams and a lot of other starters will too.  Not sure that's how it played out as the season went on.

Yeah, I don't remember seeing JoJo on ST.  Have to believe I would have heard his name if he was on coverage for sure.  Guy was always around the ball.

Here is who I see on the Wisconsin kick return for a TD:

4 Alante Brown

12 Marquis Buford

16 Zack Weinmaster

22 Eteva Mauga Clements

23 Issac Gifford

29 Cooper Jewett

31 Chris Kolarevic

35 John Bullock

37 Phalen Sanford

85 Wyatt Liewer

92 Bendan Franke

I confirmed some of the double numbers with names.  Not a starter to be found. 5 walk-ons, 5 scholarship guys, and a kicker (I think).

• Plus1 1

Punt return vs Wisconsin (I can only indentify 10 guys and Wisconsin's only other punt of the game we were in "punt safe" with the D on the field)

12 Marquis Buford

16 Zach Weinmaster

22 Eteva Mauga Clements

29 Cooper Jewett

35 John Bullock

37 Phalen Sanford

56 Grant Tagge

85 Wyatt Leiwer

88 Levi Falck

89 Oliver Martin (returner)

I see 0 starters

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Undone said:

I really believe this line they fed in those pressers is just total bulls*** excuse-making. Where Frost is failing is not in decision making (or lack thereof) during games - it's more on a more year-over-year level.

For example, precisely with failing to get special teams into a great place ever since the 2019 season revealed that area was losing us 2-3 games per year. That is the kind of thing that is the job of the head coach to get fixed - and he sucks at seeing the big picture, period.

You fast forward three seasons later and special teams are just as bad as they were in 2019, if not worse.

Frost himself paying more attention to details during games? Frost watching out for bad alignment right before a punt? To me that's exactly what a special teams coach does for you. 

I def am on the same page in not necessarily trusting Scott to want to be that CEO type. The problem is its still gonna be a trade at some other position, and I just dont see any position where I can say, "yep, they dont need extra coaching".  I do think the fact that they chose Whipple does give me some hope that he does want to be more hands off on offense. Otherwise why go with the experienced coach like that? 

8 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I def am on the same page in not necessarily trusting Scott to want to be that CEO type. The problem is its still gonna be a trade at some other position, and I just dont see any position where I can say, "yep, they dont need extra coaching".  I do think the fact that they chose Whipple does give me some hope that he does want to be more hands off on offense. Otherwise why go with the experienced coach like that? 

Agreed.

My biggest point in all of this is that we have to fix special teams by the time our team lands in Ireland next year. Have to.

If Whipple or Frost can coach quarterbacks, that might free up the space for extra focus on special teams outside of games - which again in my opinion is where special teams needs the focus.

If Frost was to help coach in one single area as more of a position coach, I'd think you'd want it to be at QB.

I don't know the general consensus, but I for one don't think we actually got the guys we set out to get for assistants.  I see these hires as 2nd best if that.  Whipple might be ok, but don't see any kind of wow factor in him.  Raiola, seems like were just recruiting his nephew to be our QB someday.  The only hire so far that makes sense is Joseph.  So far I would grade these hires as a C-.  Mickey Joseph is an A+, but the others are well below what I think most expectations would have been.  When I heard that we were interviewing both Harrell and Whipple this weekend in Arizona, I realized Frost and Co struck out on others.  Prove otherwise and I might listen!  I think we are in for a truly disappointing 2022 season.  I think we see more leave and we might not reach the level we are at right now.  Trying to remain positive, but just not seeing anything that says we are going to be great next season with these hires.  I think Mickey can bring in talent, but that talent better be Big 10 ready, otherwise we are in for another 3-9 or 4-8 season.

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

I don't know the general consensus, but I for one don't think we actually got the guys we set out to get for assistants.  I see these hires as 2nd best if that.  Whipple might be ok, but don't see any kind of wow factor in him.  Raiola, seems like were just recruiting his nephew to be our QB someday.  The only hire so far that makes sense is Joseph.  So far I would grade these hires as a C-.  Mickey Joseph is an A+, but the others are well below what I think most expectations would have been.  When I heard that we were interviewing both Harrell and Whipple this weekend in Arizona, I realized Frost and Co struck out on others.  Prove otherwise and I might listen!  I think we are in for a truly disappointing 2022 season.  I think we see more leave and we might not reach the level we are at right now.  Trying to remain positive, but just not seeing anything that says we are going to be great next season with these hires.  I think Mickey can bring in talent, but that talent better be Big 10 ready, otherwise we are in for another 3-9 or 4-8 season.

Lolz. Look at Whipple's resume. Tell me an OC we've had in the last 20 years with a better resume. I'll wait. 

• Plus1 3

OC/QB's - Whipple

WR/Passing Coordinator - Joseph 

RB - Beckton (?)

OL - Raiola

TE/ST - Brumfield (?)

https://dailyprogress.com/sports/virginia-special-teams-coordinator-ricky-brumfield-will-also-coach-tight-ends/article_430b7bf3-5750-5cf1-a336-5b8d975a4dcd.html

It'll be interesting to see what's ultimately decided. Not sure if Ricky Brumfield remains under consideration. 

With Bill Busch's biggest asset being evaluating talent, is off the field continuing as an analyst the best position for him? And, Ron Brown continuing as he has? Another possibility, could different aspects of special teams be divided among a couple of the coaches (Ex. Beckton, Brumfield) in a configuration? Beckton has done so well with tight ends...I don't know how well he'd do with RB's or if he'd be interested. 

Special Teams definitely is needing attended to . While a the same time, we can't afford to neglect Running Backs... :dunno