Division elimination

18 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I believe you are correct.  It may be boring to a few but most of the fans I know from both sides look forward to it.  

Yup

No. 13 Iowa's 28-21 win over Nebraska earned 1.94 million viewers, making it the most-watched football game in Big Ten Network history. The previous mark was held by Michigan vs. Colorado, with 1.86 million viewers in 2016. Following the football game, B1G Live: Football Postgame averaged 659,000 viewers, which was a new record for studio programming.

https://btn.com/2021/12/01/black-friday-delivers-record-football-and-volleyball-viewership/

• Plus1 2

13 hours ago, Red Five said:

Lol.  You just listed 5 teams that have season ending games already.

Minnesota/Wisconsin have played the last weekend 9 straight years (not counting the Covid year).

Penn St/Mich St have played the last weekend 22 of their last 26 meetings.

And you know who Iowa has played the last weekend the last 11 years.

MSU vs PSU is forced though. I think sometimes those teams end up with Rutgers or Maryland.

21 hours ago, Saunders said:

Yup

That always seems odd to me.  Under 2 million people (TV's) with that Husker game on.

Doesn't every Husker fan watch pretty much every Husker game?  I would imagine it is the same with Iowa.

Either there are a lot of fans that don't watch the games or there are way less fans than I think

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

That always seems odd to me.  Under 2 million people (TV's) with that Husker game on.

Doesn't every Husker fan watch pretty much every Husker game?  I would imagine it is the same with Iowa.

Either there are a lot of fans that don't watch the games or there are way less fans than I think

Or a lot of people are watching the same TV's. My family in Omaha often gets together to watch the game.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, not me said:

I saw a lot of talk about the 3-5-5 model, wouldn't a 5-4-4 model also be possible if they want to keep 9 conference games? You'd get a lot more permanent match ups and the TV contracts would still be happy with the 9 games.

I think the TV people want less permanent matchups, not more. 

2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I think the TV people want less permanent matchups, not more. 

Interesting, I'd think they'd still rather have 9 games than 8 though. Also those non permanent teams you still see every other year or 2 out of 4, so they'd get the less common match ups just as often still.

8 minutes ago, not me said:

Interesting, I'd think they'd still rather have 9 games than 8 though. Also those non permanent teams you still see every other year or 2 out of 4, so they'd get the less common match ups just as often still.

I agree on 9 versus 8, but with more variety than today, however they decide to go.

On 5/28/2022 at 10:19 PM, not me said:

I saw a lot of talk about the 3-5-5 model, wouldn't a 5-4-4 model also be possible if they want to keep 9 conference games? You'd get a lot more permanent match ups and the TV contracts would still be happy with the 9 games.

Actually, 5-4-4 would protect all the rivalry (trophy) games and balance out the schedules a little better.  A 3-5-5 doesn't protect all the trophy games.  Three teams have four of them and Minnesota actually has five.

Here's my stab at it.  Games in red are trophy games.  Each team plays five teams every year and alternates the other eight every other year.

8V26HYZ.png

• Plus1 2
9 hours ago, Mavric said:

Actually, 5-4-4 would protect all the rivalry (trophy) games and balance out the schedules a little better.  A 3-5-5 doesn't protect all the trophy games.  Three teams have four of them and Minnesota actually has five.

Here's my stab at it.  Games in red are trophy games.  Each team plays five teams every year and alternates the other eight every other year.

8V26HYZ.png

Lol... Iowa fans cringing reading that.  No way they let it happen but I would love it.