Big Ten Confidential - Nebraska

8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

“I mean, why is he at Nebraska? Like what happened there and how does that happen? You go to a program that if they don’t get this thing turned around this year, you’re not going to have a job next year. That, to me, is bizarre in itself.”

He's at Nebraska because he wasn't going back to Pitt because Narduzzi wasn't going to offer him a new contract.

And if Nebraska didn't offer him $1.8M guaranteed he'd probably be currently sitting at his Scottsdale home with his feet up sipping on some tequilla.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

Some interesting remarks but not necessarily on the mark imo.   Nothing wrong with history and tradition and remembering the past.  Culture and mindset are very much an issue.  But it all starts at the top with the HC and staff instilling a strong work ethic and confidence.  

Im beginning to wonder if the offensive issues are in part, perhaps, a reflection of mixed messages and staff and HC not being on the same page and message.  There has been a great deal of turnover and position shuffling in both roster and staff.  When things don’t click, grumbling and the blame game and fault shifting happens.  Never heard much of it but it could have been below the surface.  An inability or unwillingness to change may have played a part.  A staff that appeared united and coordinated may not have been.  

WRs and RBs and QBs didn’t stick it out and were in a constant state of flux.  Contrast with the defense.  STs was just ignored in many ways - self coached almost.  Those hurt the offense and led to losses.  Team unity - seems to be OK, but do we really know?    Info is tightly managed. 

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

This is the same idea as Athlon's yearly tradition of interviewing coaches about other teams and publishing the results anonymously. The Athletic steals that concept for this piece. 

Here's what they had to say about Nebraska:

What to make of Nebraska?

Since joining the Big Ten in 2011, Nebraska has struggled to live up to its tradition-rich history. In 11 years, the Cornhuskers are 71-64 (ninth among Big Ten teams) and 44-49 in league play, which ranks eighth. Nebraska hasn’t had a winning season since 2016 and is 27-42 in league action since the Big Ten split into East-West divisions.

Three people surveyed for this story identified Nebraska as a potential breakout team after the Cornhuskers lost nine games by single digits in 2021. But the defensive assistant from the Big Ten West believes the constant reminders of their history coupled with the inability to let go of the past have weighed down the program.

“The culture over there is tied with that old-school tradition,” the assistant said. “It’s not a sickness, but it’s living in the past, and I think these players suffer from that. I really do. As much as you try to change it, you’re in this constant cycle where it doesn’t get over the top because I don’t think there’s any consistency there. Coaching-wise and go down the list.”

The same assistant questioned why Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Mark Whipple would leave for Nebraska, especially after helping the Panthers win the ACC title and coaching quarterback Kenny Pickett, a first-round draft pick.

“What happened at Pitt, other than coaching one of the best quarterbacks all over the country and doing a pretty good job of it based on what I could tell?” the assistant said. “I mean, why is he at Nebraska? Like what happened there and how does that happen? You go to a program that if they don’t get this thing turned around this year, you’re not going to have a job next year. That, to me, is bizarre in itself.”

Here's the part that really resonated with me:

“The culture over there is tied with that old-school tradition,” the assistant said. “It’s not a sickness, but it’s living in the past, and I think these players suffer from that. I really do. As much as you try to change it, you’re in this constant cycle where it doesn’t get over the top because I don’t think there’s any consistency there. Coaching-wise and go down the list.”

I have been saying this for years. We recruit kids to the Nebraska we were, not the Nebraska we are. They come in with this sales pitch about past glory, and that has to affect these kids when they get here and we've got the kind of mindset that earns fifth in the Big Ten West every year (or worse). 

If the Admin, coaches and players would just be honest with themselves and approach everything with the kind of chip on their shoulder as Purdue, Minnesota, Northwestern and Michigan State have, they'd be better in almost every facet of the game. 

I still get the impression, ten years after joining this conference, that half of our games our guys show up expecting to win, not to play. The rest of the conference doesn't suffer from that mentality. That's why we lose to Iowa and Wisconsin and Purdue when, by recruiting rankings, we're a "better" team. None of those stars matter when your mind isn't in the right place. 

We lose so many games because of that. Last year was a great example of a team and staff who do not know their place in the conference hierarchy. 

Yea we should obviously just recruit them to the 3-9 team that we are, would probably work so much better.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
6 minutes ago, Farms said:

Yea we should obviously just recruit them to the 3-9 team that we are, would probably work so much better.

yeah like Purdue and Indiana.  Come play for us and no matter how good or bad you are you will always be second fiddle to the basketball team.  I think kids really do want to get Nebraska back to being "Nebraska".  I truly believe there are kids on this team who think they are right at the cusp of getting everything turned around.  I think that sells more than come to a school who has little to no history.   

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

This is the same idea as Athlon's yearly tradition of interviewing coaches about other teams and publishing the results anonymously. The Athletic steals that concept for this piece. 

Here's what they had to say about Nebraska:

What to make of Nebraska?

Since joining the Big Ten in 2011, Nebraska has struggled to live up to its tradition-rich history. In 11 years, the Cornhuskers are 71-64 (ninth among Big Ten teams) and 44-49 in league play, which ranks eighth. Nebraska hasn’t had a winning season since 2016 and is 27-42 in league action since the Big Ten split into East-West divisions.

Three people surveyed for this story identified Nebraska as a potential breakout team after the Cornhuskers lost nine games by single digits in 2021. But the defensive assistant from the Big Ten West believes the constant reminders of their history coupled with the inability to let go of the past have weighed down the program.

The same assistant questioned why Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Mark Whipple would leave for Nebraska, especially after helping the Panthers win the ACC title and coaching quarterback Kenny Pickett, a first-round draft pick.

“What happened at Pitt, other than coaching one of the best quarterbacks all over the country and doing a pretty good job of it based on what I could tell?” the assistant said. “I mean, why is he at Nebraska? Like what happened there and how does that happen? You go to a program that if they don’t get this thing turned around this year, you’re not going to have a job next year. That, to me, is bizarre in itself.”

Here's the part that really resonated with me:

I have been saying this for years. We recruit kids to the Nebraska we were, not the Nebraska we are. They come in with this sales pitch about past glory, and that has to affect these kids when they get here and we've got the kind of mindset that earns fifth in the Big Ten West every year (or worse). 

If the Admin, coaches and players would just be honest with themselves and approach everything with the kind of chip on their shoulder as Purdue, Minnesota, Northwestern and Michigan State have, they'd be better in almost every facet of the game. 

I still get the impression, ten years after joining this conference, that half of our games our guys show up expecting to win, not to play. The rest of the conference doesn't suffer from that mentality. That's why we lose to Iowa and Wisconsin and Purdue when, by recruiting rankings, we're a "better" team. None of those stars matter when your mind isn't in the right place. 

We lose so many games because of that. Last year was a great example of a team and staff who do not know their place in the conference hierarchy. 

Let's see.  You have a program that, for a long time, was at the top of the food chain in college football.  Then, they go through a period where the culture was soft and let things slack. 

Yeah....you shouldn't bring up the culture of the past where players did what it takes to be good.  Got it.....

• Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Let's see.  You have a program that, for a long time, was at the top of the food chain in college football.  Then, they go through a period where the culture was soft and let things slack. 

Yeah....you shouldn't bring up the culture of the past where players did what it takes to be good.  Got it.....

Selling this to recruits as that Nebraska hasn't worked for 20 years. It's time to stop pretending that's who we are. That's who we were

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Of course some fans will thump their chests about National titles from decades ago, especially now with how bad this 5 year stretch has been. But this “Living in the past” trope that seemingly only gets lobbed at Neb just seems like a cheap insult from a random B1G fan or coach. 

Hitting reset for two decades and trying everything under the sun with different coaches doesn’t really strike me as “living in the past.” To me “Living in the past” would’ve been doing something like hiring Paul Johnson to run an option offense again. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Selling this to recruits as that Nebraska hasn't worked for 20 years. It's time to stop pretending that's who we are. That's who we were

I'm not really that sure about this.  I assume your basis for this claim is the lack of on-field results.  But that's not really the same thing as recruiting.

And I'm not sure what we are supposed to be selling them on instead.

• Plus1 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Fru said:

Of course some fans will thump their chests about National titles from decades ago, especially now with how bad this 5 year stretch has been. But this “Living in the past” trope that seemingly only gets lobbed at Neb just seems like a cheap insult from a random B1G fan or coach. 

I've been saying it for years. We are selling the wrong message to recruits. Our teams do not have the same hunger as our opponents. We are better on paper than most of the Big Ten West, but we have been terrible in our division in part because we approach games as if we are Nebraska of the 90s.

Why does Whipple leave Pitt for Nebraska? So that (after estimated taxes) he rides away with roughly an extra $1.3M to add to his pile of money for retirement.

Do people not apply basic human greed/need/economic factors to college football? Do they really just view it in a vacuum outside of those things or something?

Anyway, I do somewhat question how hard Whipple will actually try here for us. And I'm sure I'll get slammed for that comment. But he's not a household name; if he does poorly, nobody will care because few outside of the coaching world even really know his name.

But his incentive financially is huge (as measured by the common person).

• Plus1 6
Just now, knapplc said:

Whatever Iowa and Wisconsin are selling recruits seems to work.

Yeah, I think you keep conflating two different things.  

They have generally "recruited" at a lower level.  But they recruit to a system and develop players into that system well.  I don't really know of anyone that points to them and says "they are great recruiters."  

They "sell" recruits on their success and the success players can have in their system.  The second half is what everyone does.  The first half we can't point to so it only makes sense that we sell what we can.

Of course, your assumption is completely based on your own assumption of what we are trying to "sell" to recruits, which I'm pretty sure isn't accurate.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1