Who should our next HC be?

27 minutes ago, lo country said:

Unsure if you are comparing Frost to TO, but TO was one of the greatest coaches to ever roam the sidelines.  He continually changed and morphed his offense and defense to win. Also MUCH different when you start at the top of the conference vs being a bottom feeder looking up.  

And maybe, just maybe, he wasn't referring to scheme, but physicality, discipline, fundamentals, mentality etc....Kind of the hallmarks of TO's teams...

Fair assessment. I took it as scheme. TO wasn't afraid to be different and a leader offensively. Which is the exact opposite of "Your team has to kind of look like the team you play every week." - That said defensively and mentally, his comment makes more sense. Thanks. 

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I don't have a subscription. Can you tell us what it said?

• Pretty much confirmed all the rumors around Rhule, and said he's probably the guy if things can be straightened out with Carolina
  • Trev hasn't had to worry too much about the financial side of things
  • Doeren is out, but apparently Fickell isn't entirely out of the picture?
  • Mickey knows he won't be HC, but still wants to be here under the next coach

Also re Fickell:

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Fickell would 100% be a "big time" hire.

This statement in itself is true, but no one on his current staff has experience with the recruiting challenges of Nebraska.

Recruiting the Rust Belt vs recruiting the 500 mile radius of Lincoln.....night and day different.

......and does he bring his OC with him?

• Plus1 1
40 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I think the program is in an incredibly difficult spot.

Just from the Roster standpoint alone, there appear to be 30 or more players that are MAC level players.

Overhauling the roster and simultaneously trying to get to 6 wins is going to be difficult for the next coach. They aren't exactly being handed a team full of young talent. Nebraska's roster is both young and untalented. 

So much truth in this post. Plus, if the new coach tries to take a short cut and bring in a bunch of transfers to “win now”, it’s high risk-reward.  Given how much of a mess both lines are, that needs to be the focus for the new coach, but those positions are never quick fixes.

• Plus1 2
36 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Interesting. A very different take than Tom Osborne had. 

Not really.

TO adjusted his scheme to beat the teams he had to beat.  He was getting his a$$ kicked by OU and adjusted his offensive scheme in the early 80s to try to get it done.  Then, he couldn't beat OU and florida teams so he adjusted his defensive scheme in the early 90s and got it done. Finally in the mid 90s, it all came together to be great.

• Plus1 3
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

43 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I think the program is in an incredibly difficult spot.

Just from the Roster standpoint alone, there appear to be 30 or more players that are MAC level players.

Overhauling the roster and simultaneously trying to get to 6 wins is going to be difficult for the next coach. They aren't exactly being handed a team full of young talent. Nebraska's roster is both young and untalented. 

So much truth in this post. Plus, if the new coach tries to take a short cut and bring in a bunch of transfers to “win now”, it’s high risk-reward.  Given how much of a mess both lines are, that needs to be the focus for the new coach, but those positions are never quick fixes.

I guess the question in my head is- is it MAC level talent or MAC level strength and conditioning/ development? I don't know the answer, but hopefully the next coach will. 

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I guess the question in my head is- is it MAC level talent or MAC level strength and conditioning/ development? I don't know the answer, but hopefully the next coach will. 

In my opinion it’s both/all of the above. I think the identification, recruitment, and retainment of talent (despite what recruiting rankings say) has been poor, and the S&C, development; and coaching has been poor as well. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I don't know either.  But, my guess is the bolded.

Not sure you can say that.. defense seems to be holding their own physically. The offense however... especially the line is where the biggest struggle is. Both sides have the same Strength and Conditioning.

6 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I guess the question in my head is- is it MAC level talent or MAC level strength and conditioning/ development?

I would say neither of those. More like MAC-level coaching...