Who should our next HC be?

2 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

I don’t think kids in CA or FL even know what a Lance Leipold is. I think he is a good coach but we need recruiting. All the guys making plays this year are new players transferred into the program.  I want a big time national name in here. This is mini pro football with all the money nowadays. Campbell and Leipold will ceiling out with talent they can bring here. 

These comments make me scratch my head.  Were talking about Nebraska Football......with the winning coach, it recruits itself.  We have to develop players no matter who is the coach and where we get players in the star battle.  What I have seen so far from Rhule, Klieman, Leipold or Aranda is they develop players.  I don't know if we could go wrong with any of those guys right now.  Recruiting is important, but what we do with those recruits is so much more important.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

My last comment for this session but College GAmeday was in Lawrence today.  Leiipold was featured on this.  Many know who that guy is right now.  If KSU keep winning they will have a Gameday soon somewhere as well and that guy, Klieman, will be known nationally if not already.  If your going to keep suggesting Aranda, please remember that Rhule built the current Baylor program and Aranda just got the keys.  This is where I think alot of people get mislead.  Rhule recruiting alot of the players on the roster and he was building towards what is there right now. 

I will add that many on this board wanted Billy Napier last season, and he is struggling with Florida's talented roster.  Too soon to tell, but he isn't instant winner either.  With a roster like they have at Florida, and recruiting success, this coaching thing is hard to figure who will and who won't make it work. Deboer at Washington lost to Arizona St today?  I don't know if there is a homerun hire other than Urb's and pretty sure he isn't coming here.  I could see him at Auburn or Texas A@M or Florida St or Penn St or ?  I have read where Auburn will go after Franklin if Meyer turns them down.  I am guessing that A@M won't fire Jimbo for the $90 mil he would get......but.....?  In the end, we just need the right coach for us and it doesn't have to be a slam dunk nationally in my opinion.  We have this NIL thing that alot of schools dn't have and that is a deciding factor as well.

29 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

When people are bringing up

guys like Iowa’s DC or WSU’s coach or North Dakota State’s coach as candidates that tells me all

i need to know. I’ve been ridiculed from the beginning for saying we need a proven winner and legit recruiter. Still plenty of folks with the “stars don’t matter” mentality

The thing is recruiting only gets you so far. It does set you up to succeed to a certain degree, but you still have to retain and develop those players. 

This was one of Frost’s biggest downfalls here. 

Believe it or not a lot 4-5 star players still need developed. A very select few are plug and play difference makers.

A coach that has a staff that can recruit a top 25 class and can retain & develop them will in the long run out-recruit some of those with the top 15 classes.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

It basically takes all three recruiting, player development coaching, and good in game coaching. To me you first have to have the players, which equals recruiting. That is the lifeblood of the program. This isn’t rocket science for many of us out there that have coached sports. You know when you take the field or court if you have the advantage with the superior players or not. Now put those players with great player development and coaching and you basically have a dominant team. I think in the Frost years we graded out poorly in all three of these phases. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

12 hours ago, chamrocck said:

I hear your snarkiness but the interview with Mickey earlier this week was refreshing. He was all about recruiting commenting Saban, Dabo, and Ohio State have players. Good players always beat good coaching. Ideally you need both and he also talked player development. The prior coach couldn’t keep the recruits he got, couldn’t develop players, and thought B1G teams would have to adjust to his advanced coaching schemes. Nope. Plus Mickey quoted Deion Sanders in that interview. Epic troll, haha. I don’t know if Mickey will get the job but he has the right mind set and gets it.

Lol, I don’t disagree with anything you said just the way u worded it seemed like it was written by trev himself lol 

23 hours ago, HANC said:

But over 60% of the fan base want Urban Meyer, who has done worse, including covering up Spousal Abuse . 

Spousal and female abuse seems to be (silently) condoned by many of the religious institutions in the state…so I presume that’s perfectly acceptable in their eyes. . 

23 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yeah, Deion has never shown that he’s into hookers and blow. 

It’s been mentioned (via 1310am The Ticket) that Deion was strongly rumored to be a regular to the infamous White House during the first year (plus it minus) of his stay with the Cowboys while the White House was operational.

IIRC, House was busted late 1996, Deion arrived Summer 1995. About a year and a few months overlap. 

7 hours ago, chamrocck said:

You seem to make a lot of the same comments I make in regards to needing recruiting to make Nebraska a national destination.  

Meyer

Deion

Kiffen

Gundy

Aranda 

I think these are the guys who can get it done nationally.

Next tier is like Fickell, Rhule, and Petersen.

Dykes gets you TX.

i don’t know what Leipold or Campbell gets you other than Wisconsin or Iowa. Weaken our opponents recruiting base I suppose?

This I narrow thinking in my opinion. Yay, we beat Iowa in that recruiting battle!  But oh s#!t, here comes USC into town.

Small time days are over, gotta think B1G!

Although I generally agree with your overall thoughts, not sure what makes you think Kiffen, Gundy, and Aranda can get it done nationally and make Nebraska a recruiting destination? All three are at better destinations than current Nebraska (OSU being the one possible exception). Sorry to have to make people admit that, but Ole Miss, OSU and Baylor have all been much more relevant than Nebraska as of late and all three are located in/near much better recruiting areas. Yes, we're still a blue blood (barely) and yes we have some history/resources/advantages these programs don't have, but most/all of that has been lost on recruiting aged kids today. It will take a while for us to build back up to those things actually being an advantage for us again.

That said, here are Kiffen, Gundy, and Aranda's average recruiting rankings at their current, better destination schools. Kiffen and Aranda only have 2 full classes each (I did not include their first years as they were hired in the middle of recruiting so not really completely their classes, and including those numbers would have brought their averages down) and Gundy's been there forever so I'll just use the last 5 years for him (although a quick glance looks like it wouldn't matter much as he looks to pretty much be a perennial middling 30s raked recruiter)...

Kiffen - 22

Gundy - 34

Aranda - 39

With Nebraska averaging a 24 ranking over the last five years, from purely a recruiting standpoint, I don't see how any of those three would be much of an improvement over what we've had if any, let alone make Nebraska a national destination. I don't want to speak for @The Scarlet Pimpernel, but I think he's talking about coaches who get us to elite top 10-15 recruiting destination status. And as has been pretty well shown, that list is very, very short. There are really only 2 realistic names on it.

12 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Rhule is probably my #3 choice, assuming he’s available before the end of the regular NFL season.

I’m convinced that if he wants to coach again next year, it’ll be with us.

I don’t know either, but I do know he’d check the “top 15 recruiting class every year” box, which is where this conversation started. Hell, probably top 5-10. Can’t say that about many others.

What makes you so convinced that Urb would coach here?

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
Just now, TGHusker said:

What makes you so convinced that Urb would coach here?

Of the jobs I see realistically available, I think it's the best fit for him. I think if he does give it another go, he wants/needs it to be at a blue blood. That's a somewhat subjective list, but Auburn isn't on it in most people's minds. Plus, I just don't see him as the type that would take a gig coaching in the shadow of the GOAT in his own state. I think the only teams he's even somewhat been realistically connected to since Ohio State were USC and Texas (blue bloods). And I think he knows coaching at Nebraska would be a great place to rebuild his image. Plus, he knows the Big 10 and knows he can navigate that landscape. If you listened to him during Oklahoma week, he was pandering to us so much, he almost sounded like he was already interviewing for the job in the court of public opinion.

Does that mean he's the best fit for us? Not sure, but I do think the VAST majority of fans will be willing to pretty easily forget all his sleaziness pretty quickly with the hope of what he can do for Nebraska football if he's hired. Then, when he lands his first top recruiting class, then starts winning fairly quickly, all will be completely forgotten. People's memories tend to be very short with these types of things, especially when winning starts to erase their memories. Of course, this is all assuming he actually wants to coach again, which I'm not so sure about.

• Haha 1
35 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

It’s been mentioned (via 1310am The Ticket) that Deion was strongly rumored to be a regular to the infamous White House during the first year (plus it minus) of his stay with the Cowboys while the White House was operational.

IIRC, House was busted late 1996, Deion arrived Summer 1995. About a year and a few months overlap.

Hahaha if you're using 1310 The Ticket, who's built pretty much their entire identity on clowning on the Cowboys, having mentioned that Deion probably frequented the White House over 25 years ago, as your proof that Deion is into hookers and blow in 2022 so Nebraska shouldn't touch him, you are REALLY reaching. Hell, half the team probably frequented the White House back in those days.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1