Who should our next HC be?

3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Well  that’s kinda the point when you’re talking about national recruits. Louisiana is one of the top talent-producing states and it shows they don’t have any idea who those coaches are. 

Agree with your point. And to take it a step further, Louisiana borders Texas and Texas is THEE top talent-producing state. Yet Aranada has averaged #39 recruiting ranking at Baylor since he got there. Not seeing how moving him to Nebraska will improve that at all.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

just to test your theory I asked some of our players if they knew who Klieman or Leipold is. None of them had a clue. They all know who Aranda is. 

I think you’re giving Klieman & Leipold too much credit. Very few kids outside of the Midwest recognize those names. Yeah we’ve gotta develop players but primarily 3* classes aren’t gonna cut it no matter how much development there is.

I will admit, after watching the TCU - Kansas game on Saturday, Leipold's stock went up with me. They lost, but they looked like a very well coached, fundamentally sound football team who went toe-to-toe with TCU about as well or better than anyone this year. I don't want him and I don't think he's our answer, but I wouldn't hate it and automatically write us off if we ended up with him. I think he ends up at Wisconsin, but who knows.

• Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, chamrocck said:

I think Dan Mullen is interesting. Not my top choice but I can see why there is interest. He’s not coaching right now so we can really vet him and a potential staff. No buy-out. Power 5 experience as a championship coordinator as well as a head coach in the SEC. Has played in a lot of big games.  Is on national TV currently.  Credited as a good offensive mind in the game.  Typically has good QBs.  Has ties to Florida and recruiting in the south. I can’t recall any red flags with scandals or program violations. He actually may be a good choice for a steady CEO figurehead. I think someone like him may be a good fit if you can keep MJ on staff too to handle recruiting. Would be really interested in the staff that he could potentially bring. MJ would have to stay in my opinion. Mullen has years of coordinating and head coaching experience and I think MJ respects that as someone who’s staff he could be a big part of.

Cross-posting from rumor thread...

Mullen was a pretty hot name when he went to Florida a few years ago. But, I was never really sure why. He was averaging 7ish wins a season at Miss St, which I guess was punching above their weight. But, he really only had one good year there and that was with Dak Prescott as their quarterback IIRC. I think Florida got a little blinded by history and gave him a little more credit as they considered him one of their own...worked for Urban in their glory days. Probably seemed like a no-brainer for them somewhat like Frost for us. And he flamed out equally as fast at Florida as Frost did for us. Plus I think Florida's biggest problem with him was his poor recruiting. And if you can't recruit at Florida, I'd hate to see what that looked like at Nebraska. He's a hard pass from me dawg.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

just to test your theory I asked some of our players if they knew who Klieman or Leipold is. None of them had a clue. They all know who Aranda is.

And that proves what?

They don't pay close attention to other non-conference teams?

They won't play for a new coach unless they know who he is before he is hired?

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

I will admit, after watching the TCU - Kansas game on Saturday, Leipold's stock went up with me. They lost, but they looked like a very well coached, fundamentally sound football team who went toe-to-toe with TCU about as well or better than anyone this year. I don't want him and I don't think he's our answer, but I wouldn't hate it and automatically write us off if we ended up with him. I think he ends up at Wisconsin, but who knows.

With the back up QB for 2+ quarters.  Not bad at all.  He won't move the needle "splash" or recruit wise IMHO, but he would develop guys and set a culture based on physicality (from games I have watched).  Start to win and recruiting self corrects to a degree.  Still have no idea what Frost was promising to get the classes he did with our record.  Guys with the recruiting chops of MJ and Applewhite wouldn't hurt.

15 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

There are plenty of coaches that can recruit to Nebraska”

”Examples?”

”…”

Is that kind of like:

"Trev has his guy picked out"

"Why would he hire a search firm?"

\a bunch of rambling that doesn't answer that question

"But why would he hire a search firm?"

"..."

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1

While I know coaching good fundamentals is very important, having a dynamic recruiter is critical — someone who is capable of having consistent top-15 classes. BC showed it can be done here, but he just wasn’t a good college coach. His last recruiting class had top 10 written all over it until his season fell apart. Joseph appears to be as strong as anybody else Nebraska has a realistic chance of getting — probably stronger.  Sanders is less than a long shot, and he knows nothing about the Big 10. And of course the same can be said of the chances of Urban. But for the Huskers to be in contention to conference championships and beyond ever again, they will have to recruit up a storm. I am just not seeing that with both Kansas coaches, a Matt Campbell, etc. But Joseph could be that. Let’s hope he shows he can coach very sound fundamental football, because I just don’t see anyone else who we could get would be as aggressive recruiting. I expect if by chance he is retained — and I know the odds are against it right now — he would make the necessary staff  changes, and the new assistants would all probably be strong recruiters. I especially believe that after hearing his interview with Cozgrove. Let’s hope for his success. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

I thought TCU would roll them. Leipold is a good coach.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Pedro G said:

While I know coaching good fundamentals is very important, having a dynamic recruiter is critical — someone who is capable of having consistent top-15 classes. BC showed it can be done here, but he just wasn’t a good college coach. His last recruiting class had top 10 written all over it until his season fell apart. Joseph appears to be as strong as anybody else Nebraska has a realistic chance of getting — probably stronger.  Sanders is less than a long shot, and he knows nothing about the Big 10. And of course the same can be said of the chances of Urban. But for the Huskers to be in contention to conference championships and beyond ever again, they will have to recruit up a storm. I am just not seeing that with both Kansas coaches, a Matt Campbell, etc. But Joseph could be that. Let’s hope he shows he can coach very sound fundamental football, because I just don’t see anyone else who we could get would be as aggressive recruiting. I expect if by chance he is retained — and I know the odds are against it right now — he would make the necessary staff  changes, and the new assistants would all probably be strong recruiters. I especially believe that after hearing his interview with Cozgrove. Let’s hope for his success. 

Sorry, but I don’t know what just makes you assume that a first time head coach at a losing program located in Nebraska with almost zero name recognition is just going to automatically be some kind of elite national top 15 recruiter. Look, I know MJ is familiar and comfortable and likable to a lot of Nebraskans and I know he’s done pretty well recruiting his territory, and it’s great that he’s got us a couple wins and all, but that is just such a far, far cry from elite national top 15 recruiting head coach.

I have not really made a list yet, but here is what I would start with:

1.  Urban-  Yes, he is the only can't miss hire out there.

2.  Matt Rhule- He did get Temple and Baylor on the right track in short order.

3.  Lance Leipold-  Anyone who can get Kansas respectable in 1 1/2 years is a really good coach.

4.  Mickey-  I question his authority some after he let WHipple  call a pass play on 4th and 1.  But if he gets this team to a bowl game, I don't know if you can afford to not hire him.

Best of the rest:  Aranda, Campbell, Klieman, Harskin, and Dykes.