Who should our next HC be?

2 hours ago, UniversalMartin said:

I agree with your historical point of being a Husker fan.. but fact of the matter is that we wont , and no school for general purposes, go from middle of the road to playoff team in 1 year after a HC change...there is generally a 8-4 that follows a 5-7/6-6 campaign and possibly a 9-3/8-4 in the 2nd year after that...so a fan needs to understand progression towards satisfaction...not "we should win cause of Tom Osborne!!!." Basically, we should all embrace the process. Nebraska fans should (not talking about anyone on this forum, just a general point) appreciate hard work and focus over immediate gratification.

Don’t get me wrong. I do not expect us to win championships in year 1 or 2 but my initial point was about Matt Campbell and whether he is a good fit for Nebraska. If anyone evaluates what he has done in 7 years at Iowa State, they will see that it is not as impressive as what other coaches have done in much less time. Arguably, the work that Bret Bielema has done at Illinois with a team that was bottom of the pack is impressive at this point. It is still too early to tell but Illinois looks really solid in year 2 of his tenure. Look at what Lincoln Riley is doing in year 1 of his tenure with USC. Look at chip Kelly. My point is that we really need to find a good fit for Nebraska because the fans do not deserve another bad experiment. What we endured in 4.5 years with Frost and Chin took a lot of belief and hope that we can become relevant. We deserve a coach that can turn things around quickly with some early successes, even if it is an 8-5 first season (counting bowl game). In my opinion, if we can’t land the coach we want, we might as well give Mickey a chance. No reason to settle for third or fourth choice. I personally do not care if the best choice to bring us back to relevance comes with some baggage. No one is a saint anymore and everyone deserves a second chance. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

6 hours ago, Husker816 said:

Matt Rhule will be fired. Cut the check Trev

Sounds like it. My first concern with him was that he might not get fired from Carolina until after the NFL regular season, in which case he wouldn't be available until around January 9th. That would leave a lot of wasted time given our current situation. But, if he does get let go early, he needs a really hard look.

My next concern with him is that he might not necessarily choose us. I do think Nebraska will likely be the best job available, but the way Rhule went through the last round of college hiring makes me think he might be a bit of a wildcard when it comes to that. He openly turned down Oregon when he went to Baylor, and Oregon was in MUCH better shape than Baylor. He just said Baylor felt like a better fit for him and his family. I don't know what all was offered at either school as it wasn't public, so maybe Baylor offered a lot more in the way of money, support, control, etc (can't imagine Baylor's offer was that much better financially than Oregon's). Anyway, that always seemed like a real head scratcher. If we're the Oregon this time around, he may choose a different direction, just based on the fact that he's done it once before.

Rhule would be an exceptional hire if we could get him. If ya'll think Nebraska is a dumpster fire right now, what he walked into at Baylor was an entire burning city comparatively. What he was able to do by year 3 there given Baylor's situation was nothing short of a miracle. There's not a fan among us who wouldn't love to have these kinds of results 3 years from now...

Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 7.45.26 AM.png

8 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I think right now Aranda would be my top pick, one primary reason being that he's familiar with MJ and Busch from his days at LSU and would likely keep them on board. Rhule wouldn't be far behind, my only concern being that he never beat a ranked team while at Baylor.

The ranked team thing is valid. But it's also pretty easy to argue Aranda is succeeding (one good year) on what Rhule built. And his body of work is tiny compared to Rhule's. Aranda hasn't beat a ranked team this year. If you compare their resume's, it's really not even close. Plus, Rhule has spent a large portion of his football career in B1G country...played at Penn State and coached for 14 years. Aranda spent 3 years in the B1G, then nowhere near it.

Some rumors that Auburn wants James Franklin, so I guess if he moves on, Rhule is probably a lock for Penn State. :dunno

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Husker816 said:

Matt Rhule will be fired. Cut the check Trev

I don’t get the fascination with Rhule. I know he did good things at Baylor and another stop but those were only one or two year stops that isn’t enough for me to say he’s the guy. Sounds like a jumper to me once things get hard for him he folds like a deck of cards 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Sounds like it. My first concern with him was that he might not get fired from Carolina until after the NFL regular season, in which case he wouldn't be available until around January 9th. That would leave a lot of wasted time given our current situation. But, if he does get let go early, he needs a really hard look.

My next concern with him is that he might not necessarily choose us. I do think Nebraska will likely be the best job available, but the way Rhule went through the last round of college hiring makes me think he might be a bit of a wildcard when it comes to that. He openly turned down Oregon when he went to Baylor, and Oregon was in MUCH better shape than Baylor. He just said Baylor felt like a better fit for him and his family. I don't know what all was offered at either school as it wasn't public, so maybe Baylor offered a lot more in the way of money, support, control, etc (can't imagine Baylor's offer was that much better financially than Oregon's). Anyway, that always seemed like a real head scratcher. If we're the Oregon this time around, he may choose a different direction, just based on the fact that he's done it once before.

Rhule would be an exceptional hire if we could get him. If ya'll think Nebraska is a dumpster fire right now, what he walked into at Baylor was an entire burning city comparatively. What he was able to do by year 3 there given Baylor's situation was nothing short of a miracle. There's not a fan among us who wouldn't love to have these kinds of results 3 years from now...

Its a lot easier to turn a Texas team around when you can basically not have to leave the state to recruit. 

Now if he can bring a lot of Texas with him he can get us to a 8 win team. He is not my 1st choice for sure.

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

I don’t get the fascination with Rhule. I know he did good things at Baylor and another stop but those were only one or two year stops that isn’t enough for me to say he’s the guy. Sounds like a jumper to me once things get hard for him he folds like a deck of cards 

He had back-to-back 10 win seasons at Temple and had multiple opportunities to move up to a P5 job, so he did. He then did a miraculous job of turning around a horrible situation at Baylor leading them to an 11 win season by year 3 and he was one of the hottest names in coaching and had an opportunity to move up to the NFL, so he did. Please explain how that makes him a "jumper that folds like a deck of cards when things get hard"?

• Plus1 3
13 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

Its a lot easier to turn a Texas team around when you can basically not have to leave the state to recruit. 

Now if he can bring a lot of Texas with him he can get us to a 8 win team. He is not my 1st choice for sure.

This is true, but he did it at Temple too. Plus, if you're going to use that argument against Rhule, then you have to use it against Aranda too (not you specifically, but people clamoring for Aranda).

1 minute ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

This is true, but he did it at Temple too. Plus, if you're going to use that argument against Rhule, then you have to use it against Aranda too (not you specifically, but people clamoring for Aranda).

COME ON MAN.  And Frost did it at UCF. the AAC is not the B1G or the Big 12 lol.

• Fire 1