Who should our next HC be?

10 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

I have not really made a list yet, but here is what I would start with:

1.  Urban-  Yes, he is the only can't miss hire out there.

2.  Matt Rhule- He did get Temple and Baylor on the right track in short order.

3.  Lance Leipold-  Anyone who can get Kansas respectable in 1 1/2 years is a really good coach.

4.  Mickey-  I question his authority some after he let WHipple  call a pass play on 4th and 1.  But if he gets this team to a bowl game, I don't know if you can afford to not hire him.

Best of the rest:  Aranda, Campbell, Klieman, Harskin, and Dykes.

Have we officially written off Fickell? Because all I see is just a bunch of “we’re not getting Fickell” internet chatter. Seems like he’d be a no-brainer top 5 for most lists.

23 hours ago, lo country said:

Not accusing or insinuating Bo of alcohol issues at all. (I have heard nothing ever to make me think that)   After he was fired, those happy with his firing thought a drunk monkey could get us 9 wins.  My comment was in reference to that.  He was angry, but was a scapegoat as well IMHO.  As you said, better support and he might still be here.  

I think that Frost recruited  well, but the classes were decimated by guys who left, didn't pan out or were not developed.  It'll be a tougher conference with USC/UCLA in the B1G, but a poorly coached Frost team played Lincoln to a one score loss in Norman, Chip hasn't experienced the B1G, but he does appear to be changing things in UCLA in year 5.  The right coach hired and I think we are quickly in the hunt for winning the division.  Of course this depends on if they split USC and UCLA to east and west or completely change things again.  

Ok totally get it, thank you for clarifying. 

I fully agree that recruiting is going to be more difficult. However, with coast to coast coverage now, we might be able to tap back into LA for recruits with the reasonable expectation of playing a game out there every season. Though it may get more difficult for USC & UCLA to hold recruits on the coast. 

At large, I think the California schools may follow the pattern we saw with other schools switching power five. Compete for the division strong the first couple years, then have a falling off after year two or three. Missouri, Colorado and us made a strong impression for our new conferences. Then other schools started to adjust (or Eichorst got trigger happy) and the new schools struggle to find their footing. A&M might be considered the “best” of outcome, and they’re still having a ton of issues. I don’t know that the average fan appreciated how big of a deal switching conferences (recruiting base, scheme, weather, fan travel support, etc.) impacts a program. So although Lincoln Riley can be a great offensive mind, I wonder if his strategies to handle Fleck ball in Minneapolis in November will work. 

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

At this point, Rhule’s actually doing himself a favor to keep losing. He’s likely done regardless, barring some kind of miracle. He’s going back to college from here. And his pool for college gigs gets smaller if teams have to wait until after Jan 8 to hire him. It benefits him to get fired early.

why does this sound like frost last month??

4 hours ago, Mavric said:

Is that kind of like:

"Trev has his guy picked out"

"Why would he hire a search firm?"

\a bunch of rambling that doesn't answer that question

"But why would he hire a search firm?"

"..."

Yes- exactly like that. I have no problem admitting when I’m wrong.

so… who are all these coaches who can recruit this elite talent here? 

• Haha 1