Who should our next HC be?

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Sorry I didn’t spell it out in exact terms. Those who were involved in the conversation already knew what I meant. Top 15 classes on a regular basis. Who? 

I know what you meant. 

There's probably no coach who can bring in Top 15 classes to Nebraska on a regular basis. Maybe they can bring Top 15 classes in on a regular basis to the Top 15 current football factories, but some of those rankings won't pan out because it's an imperfect science. 

In other words, if Urban Meyer at Nebraska is competing with Ryan Day at Ohio State for a recruit, I wouldn't bet against Ryan Day.

Also, Urban Meyer is never coming here. You need to move on. 

But some really cool things happen on an irregular basis, as coaches scramble to find underrated recruits, system-style players, 18 year olds who are about to add 40 pounds, community college scrappers, and sometimes just getting lucky with a single game-changing quarterback. Sometimes they foil the big boys and jump up the rankings, or end up assembling good teams out of the 2 and 3 star guys.  

That's what every single coach we will be interviewing can do at Nebraska, because that's the job.

It's what coaches do at schools that are no more desirable than UNL.  

To put it another way, here are the rankings for Scott Frost's first four recruiting classes.:

• Plus1 6

38 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

so… who are all these coaches who can recruit this elite talent here? 

I haven't been the one claiming that there are. 

I really don't think there are any.  At least not ones that are going to come here right now.

But that's asking the wrong question.  The question is who can build a program to the point that they can be competing for a Top 15 class.  Recruiting success comes after on-field success, not the other way around.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1

Can we agree that Matt Campbell should no longer be in consideration for HC at Nebraska? Unless you guys are happy with 8-4 seasons and once every few years 10-3 then I suggest we focus on proven coaches who have turned things around in 2 years. Unless we can get urban Meyer, my vote is on Bret Bielema. By the way, look at what chip Kelly is doing at UCLA. People did not want him at Nebraska. 

2 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Can we agree that Matt Campbell should no longer be in consideration for HC at Nebraska? Unless you guys are happy with 8-4 seasons and once every few years 10-3 then I suggest we focus on proven coaches who have turned things around in 2 years. Unless we can get urban Meyer, my vote is on Bret Bielema. By the way, look at what chip Kelly is doing at UCLA. People did not want him at Nebraska. 

No

• Haha 1
32 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I haven't been the one claiming that there are. 

I really don't think there are any.  At least not ones that are going to come here right now.

But that's asking the wrong question.  The question is who can build a program to the point that they can be competing for a Top 15 class.  Recruiting success comes after on-field success, not the other way around.

That’s easier said than done, though. It’s extremely difficult for a team to reach that status with primarily 3* talent, which is why I am so big on Meyer. But, we were told a few pages back that the belief that Meyer and a few other very select coaches can lure elite talent here is false, which is why I’ve asked for names. Klieman and a Leipold and Campbell and these other no name vanilla guys aren’t going to land the type of talent we need to compete for an win championships, and until we can do that, we’re not going to land the championship-caliber classes. Just curious, Mav, who would your top choice be? 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I know what you meant. 

There's probably no coach who can bring in Top 15 classes to Nebraska on a regular basis. Maybe they can bring Top 15 classes in on a regular basis to the Top 15 current football factories, but some of those rankings won't pan out because it's an imperfect science. 

In other words, if Urban Meyer at Nebraska is competing with Ryan Day at Ohio State for a recruit, I wouldn't bet against Ryan Day.

Also, Urban Meyer is never coming here. You need to move on. 

But some really cool things happen on an irregular basis, as coaches scramble to find underrated recruits, system-style players, 18 year olds who are about to add 40 pounds, community college scrappers, and sometimes just getting lucky with a single game-changing quarterback. Sometimes they foil the big boys and jump up the rankings, or end up assembling good teams out of the 2 and 3 star guys.  

That's what every single coach we will be interviewing can do at Nebraska, because that's the job.

It's what coaches do at schools that are no more desirable than UNL.  

To put it another way, here are the rankings for Scott Frost's first four recruiting classes.:

What rankings did you use bc I specifically used 247 rankings and at no time did Scott Frost ever have a top 15 recruiting class. 

56 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

pretty much the same as “Petersen will never leave Boise” back when Bo was fired 

So much this.  People swore he'd never leave Boise.....Ever.

NU offers a lot in addition to money right now IMO.  Great fan base.  New state of the art facilities.  6-6/7-5 you would look like the next TO/Saban/Dabo.  Sadly, low expectations of immediate return to greatness.  I think that any coach with "name recognition" would move the needle on recruiting.  Talking heads grading the hire as "X" will help or hurt.  After the  1st class start to win and recruiting almost certainly would improve.  Still no idea how Frost pulled in the classes he did with our record.  

I like Klieman.  Scheme, culture etc....BUT he took over for Craig Bohl who was 104-32.  Not really a rebuild or program that was struggling.  Took over an average K State in 2019 and they are still "average".  Maybe being at NU he pulls better talent and can develop it.  Who knows tbh.  Liepold crushed it at Whitewater, got Buffalo respectable after years of crappy and is doing a greta job at KU this season.  So he shows a "better ability" to take "rebuild" a progarm.  

Point for me, there's coaches I'd like over others, but am clueless to who it will be....

• Fire 1

Look for Rhule to be fired soon, thus increasing speculation about Rhule to Nebraska. Not saying that is what I want, but he nature of the beast says be prepared for those rumors to take off soon. I know he has already been mentioned, but as soon as he is jobless, it will ramp up big time 

• Fire 1
4 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Sorry, but I don’t know what just makes you assume that a first time head coach at a losing program located in Nebraska with almost zero name recognition is just going to automatically be some kind of elite national top 15 recruiter. Look, I know MJ is familiar and comfortable and likable to a lot of Nebraskans and I know he’s done pretty well recruiting his territory, and it’s great that he’s got us a couple wins and all, but that is just such a far, far cry from elite national top 15 recruiting head coach.

Red Silk, I first want to see if Joseph can pull out three more wins, the minimum perhaps for him to maybe be retained by Trev. I think the odds are probably against him. But let’s also see who he can get commitments from as the season continues on. That can be telling. But you tell me, Red Silk. Who can Trev hire realistically that could bring top 15 recruiting classes every year? I just not seeing that with those two Kansas coaches, for example. Who would be an elite recruiter then? To me this is just a conversation, not an argument with you. I truly want to know who you think we can hire that is an elite recruiter. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

I'd be overjoyed with 8-4 up to 10-3. Anyone who isn't is just lying to themselves at this point.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 2