Who should our next HC be?

41 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Beck ran a good bit of diamond formation when he was here.

As far as coaches, I can't believe more people aren't at least including Jim Leonhard on the list.

Do you think that Leonhard could make the jump to HC? Awesome defensive coordinator!

• Haha 1
25 minutes ago, Hagg said:

Nice list, but would you mind not spreading that Hugh Freeze name around?  Too close to the frost meme. 

Lol

It seems that we've been stuck in a long cold winter for some time now. I'm ready for some real growth and bountiful harvests! 

• Oh Yeah! 1
19 hours ago, admo said:

We also have.... rattler snakes, and dust, and cowboy boots.... and desert skies, and horses, and bobcats and coyotes and foxes and deer..... and bales of hay.... and green tractors.... and borracho beans.... tortillas.... with Al Pastor or Barbacoa.....eggs an T-bones...  110 degree summers.... Church on Sundays..... red-tailed hawks and meat cows..... some milk cows too.... and lots of back road dirt trails for your mudding pleasures.... a lot of cactus and bluebonnets.... and ponds and lakes with blue gill and bass.... plus a lot of dust and dirt and extra armpit stuff :)  It's so awful, and not nearly nice as the good life of Lincoln, Nebraska.  

Barbecued brisket, ribs, pulled pork, cornbread and a whole lot of other yummy stuff. :clap

• Oh Yeah! 1

58 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Do you think that Leonhard could make the jump to HC? Awesome defensive coordinator!

You never know for sure, but he's an elite coordinator, and has been a huge part of a program modeled on consistency, development, toughness and culture.

Hiring a coordinator is not any more of a risk than hiring 95% of head coaches (see Stoops, Pelini, Riley, Dabo, Kirby, and plenty of other examples of success), and outside of getting somebody from Saban's rehab program he's got the potential to be an elite head guy.

Honestly, I'd probably prefer a long-tenured elite coordinator over a head coach with the classic 2-3 year miraculous turnaround. Those are much more deceiving on a resume than consistency at a high level one step lower is imo.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

Yes, and I liked when we did that....I am not saying we need to go the option but I think it would be a unique offense for a P5 program that could take notice. FYI I am okay with our offense this year as well. 

I loved Beck's offense. It was inventive, creative, based off power running principles and the closest anything could come to being a modern Nebraska offense.

Trouble was never the scheme, it was his ability to call a game. Sometimes he was incredible, other times he just went straight into the ditch and couldn't get out. 

• Plus1 1
37 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

You never know for sure, but he's an elite coordinator, and has been a huge part of a program modeled on consistency, development, toughness and culture.

Hiring a coordinator is not any more of a risk than hiring 95% of head coaches (see Stoops, Pelini, Riley, Dabo, Kirby, and plenty of other examples of success), and outside of getting somebody from Saban's rehab program he's got the potential to be an elite head guy.

Honestly, I'd probably prefer a long-tenured elite coordinator over a head coach with the classic 2-3 year miraculous turnaround. Those are much more deceiving on a resume than consistency at a high level one step lower is imo.

I see your approach. It seems that you’re confident in Jim. 

7 hours ago, M.A. said:

I see your approach. It seems that you’re confident in Jim. 

I'm literally not confident in anybody outside of Saban/Urban and to a lesser extent Jimbo/Dabo/Kirby, but I'm especially wary of coaches who took over programs, had a down year, then had an amazing year, then left. 

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, M.A. said:

Which one of those you highlighted do you think would have the strongest chance of being successful here?

I think Doeren, Klieman, or Chadwell could be successful here. My preference would be Chadwell, Doeren, then Klieman. From the highlighted ones. I wouldn't be afraid to try and get Sitake either. I just don't think he would come here.

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, jager said:

I think Doeren, Klieman, or Chadwell could be successful here. My preference would be Chadwell, Doeren, then Klieman. From the highlighted ones. I wouldn't be afraid to try and get Sitake either. I just don't think he would come here.

I think that there’s a decent chance of Jamey Chadwell being hired. It seems implementation of the offensive scheme was at least being explored. There was some degree of consultation about it anyway. I’m not in charge of terminations and hiring of coarse (Lol).

That’s speculation on my part. Again, I’d say there’s a good possibility of Chadwell coming and I think he’s a good option. He might’ve been one of the coaches being considered prior to Scott Frost ultimately being retained for an additional year with the restructuring of his contract. 

34 minutes ago, M.A. said:

I think that there’s a decent chance of Jamey Chadwell being hired. It seems implementation of the offensive scheme was at least being explored. There was some degree of consultation about it anyway. I’m not in charge of terminations and hiring of coarse (Lol).

That’s speculation on my part. Again, I’d say there’s a good possibility of Chadwell coming and I think he’s a good option. He might’ve been one of the coaches being considered prior to Scott Frost ultimately being retained for an additional year with the restructuring of his contract. 

Good call - forgot about the rumors about bringing in Chadwells OC and McCall this offseason. You're definitely on the right track.

I feel like a lot of the arguments to bring in Chadwell are the same as the ones to bring in Frost. He runs an exciting option-style offense through an exceptional QB. Like Frost, I think his scheme exploits talent/discipline disparities that don't exist in the Big Ten. I like Chadwell but I would really, really rather bring in someone with a more pro-style scheme and experience recruiting nationally at the P5 Level. Coastal can recruit locally and doesn't need a large support staff to get it done. I'd rather hire a P5 coordinator before bringing in a coach that will try to run a G5 program, which is what we've got now.

Billy Napier represents what I'm talking about. He did well at a G5 but brought his Alabama experience to Florida and went on a massive hiring spree for administrators and support staff. The boring stuff is the difference between an effective CEO (Napier in this example) and entrepreneur (Chadwell). People out of the Saban tree do this exceptionally well.

• Fire 1
39 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

Good call - forgot about the rumors about bringing in Chadwells OC and McCall this offseason. You're definitely on the right track.

I feel like a lot of the arguments to bring in Chadwell are the same as the ones to bring in Frost. He runs an exciting option-style offense through an exceptional QB. Like Frost, I think his scheme exploits talent/discipline disparities that don't exist in the Big Ten. I like Chadwell but I would really, really rather bring in someone with a more pro-style scheme and experience recruiting nationally at the P5 Level. Coastal can recruit locally and doesn't need a large support staff to get it done. I'd rather hire a P5 coordinator before bringing in a coach that will try to run a G5 program, which is what we've got now.

Billy Napier represents what I'm talking about. He did well at a G5 but brought his Alabama experience to Florida and went on a massive hiring spree for administrators and support staff. The boring stuff is the difference between an effective CEO (Napier in this example) and entrepreneur (Chadwell). People out of the Saban tree do this exceptionally well.

If we were playing virtual football and could simply make selections, I could easily go with Petersen or Napier. 

Withstanding giggles and flames, along with Chadwell’s offense, I like the Hugh Freeze, BYU and Utah offenses. 

Bill O’Brian might fit. I haven’t been thrilled with the idea of having him in the past though Saban trusts him and the experiences there have likely been good.

Challenging situation... Hopefully Alberts is successful landing a good, quality coach with sound CEO credentials.