Who should our next HC be?

41 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

How is he not Mike Riley? Nebraska would be equivalent to Riley's stint with the Chargers. Middling success at a bottom tier school- he can to more with less!!!! Goes on to the big boys an chokes. - He should stay at Iowa State and have the stadium named after him Ala Frank Solich.

First, he's 42 years old.  Riley was 20 years older when we hired him.

Second, he has coached his entire career in the midwest.  Riley was a west coast guy.

I could go on about other things, (win/loss record being on), but I don't think I need to.

9 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I agree completely but I question the reasoning why we would choose him specifically if we are hypothetically going to be able to pick and choose.    

I chose Campbell because he is a realistic option.  Another realistic option is Dave Aranda.  I would also take him 100 times out of 100 over BOB.

I have seen enough of NFL coaches at Nebraska between Callahan and Riley to not want to go down the route again.

41 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I agree completely but I question the reasoning why we would choose him specifically if we are hypothetically going to be able to pick and choose.    

Yeah, it's tricky. We're typically impressed and forgiving when a coach does well at a lesser football program, and we like to imagine what he would do with Nebraska's legacy and resources. Who knows, Campbell might do great here, but you can no longer point to his resume as proof of anything, just as you can't assume he'd find Nebraska a big step up in the world. 

I will say that if Nebraska is a school that will declare you a state hero with a 7-5 record, it might become more attractive. 

48 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Another realistic option is Dave Aranda. 

He would be near the top of my list BUTTTTTT one must consider he just signed a contract that takes him through 2029 - the buyout would be huge and thus making him an unrealistic option.  

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I chose Campbell because he is a realistic option.  Another realistic option is Dave Aranda.  I would also take him 100 times out of 100 over BOB.

I have seen enough of NFL coaches at Nebraska between Callahan and Riley to not want to go down the route again.

Callahan had one flash in the pan season in the NFL and followed it up with a 4-12 and a 3-8 season.  Mike Riley never had a winning season in the NFL - 8-8, 1-15, and 5-11.  Grouping those 2 with O'brien is ridiculous at best.  Dave Aranda is a hot name but is far from a proven head coach- he had one great year and has a total of 24 games head coaching experience.  He might be awesome but he is far from a sure thing. 

Scott Frost prior to Nebraska-

2016 UCF   6-7

2017 UCF  13-0

Dave Arranda

2020 Baylor  2-7

2021 Baylor  12-2

I have no idea if O'Brien would be good here but his resume is head and shoulders above Campbell or Aranda's.  It's all hypothetical and hopefully Frost saves himself and turns it around.  If not, I hope we hire someone with solid long term experience that has proven they can be successful for more than a year or two.  

4 hours ago, zapyodumbazz said:

I keep seeing aranda pop up as a name for a new coach. 

honestly why would he leave Baylor for us. It's sad to say but currently  Baylor is a much better job than Nebraska. 

Seriously... other than conference,  facilities,  community,  support,  historical performance, and the best fan base in the country. Nebraska would seem like a lesser job.   

• Plus1 2

Haven't seen his name pop up, but he's a hell of a coach, bit eccentric.   Proven coach that develops talent, wins and has ties to the region and the conference.    May need to get some more lakes in the area to row the boats, but PJ Fleck could be a good fit here.  

• Haha 4
25 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Seriously... other than conference,  facilities,  community,  support,  historical performance, and the best fan base in the country. Nebraska would seem like a lesser job.   

Conference yes.

We haven't been at the forefront of facilities in a while....otherwise we wouldn't be building to try to catch back up.  Purdue has great facilities and they are part of the B1G tv money too.

Baylor is a good job in excellent recruiting territory.

Best fan base in the country with university leadership that has spent half the past 20 years infighting with football.