Who should our next HC be?

10 minutes ago, Slow yer Roll said:

It's probably the ol' " Great athlete makes a poor coach"  conundrum. 

I'm not sure there are very many great athletes that have been good coaches, at least in the football realm.

I think it's probably more accurate that he's better suited to be an OC than a HC.

• Fire 1

No idea about viability of these, but the first names that come to mind that I'd be very happy with:

Dave Aranda - Proven success as a head coach, as well as a defensive coach in the B1G.

Luke Fickell - Wasn't ready as interim for OSU in 2011 but obviously is ready now. Knows how to create a developmental program.

Urban Meyer - Would be kind of polarizing, but the guy knows how to win games so I'd fully embrace him as our coach.

Dan Mullen - Currently jobless but ran a good program at Miss St. Would be intriguing.

Others that would be a stretch but I wonder if $10M & the resources this program has could get them here:

Sam Pittman

Mel Tucker

Matt Campbell

Jeff Brohm (if he promises to run the ball more)

Mark Stoops

There are probably some coordinators I'd be happy with as well but would prefer a proven head coach:

Jim Leonhard

Todd Monken

Bill O'Brien

There’s lots of good candidates. Gotta start with the big names on the sidelines currently. Urban, B. Stoops, and Petersen.  Then move onto guys who could get promoted to the B1G. I like Aranda. I think Campbell would be safe not a splash. Deion Sanders would be a splash. Deion and Ed O as a defensive coach!  Dan Mullen or Bill O’Brien, maybe. Jim Tressel? Jon Gruden? If Cincy doesn’t do well I think Fickell will be more open. Not sure on Fickell though. He had a QB that won him a lot of games. 

The college game is really changing and the B1G is the epicenter of the change. I think we need a really big name.

We better hope Florida State has a great year and we offer Deion Sanders $10-$12 mil a year. He would instantly get the Jimmie’s and Joe’s in Lincoln. There is no doubt about that. But I think he’ll be able to develop them, too. He could be the kind of energetic coach DONU needs. He’s high risk, high reward. You want long term? Keep Frost. Short term? Go with Urban Meyer. 

If the next coach can get 8-9 wins a year, some double digit wins every so often, he’ll be idolized in Nebraska. If we want a great coach we’re gonna have to pony up the cash.

58 minutes ago, Dansker said:

We better hope Florida State has a great year and we offer Deion Sanders $10-$12 mil a year. He would instantly get the Jimmie’s and Joe’s in Lincoln. There is no doubt about that. But I think he’ll be able to develop them, too. He could be the kind of energetic coach DONU needs. He’s high risk, high reward. You want long term? Keep Frost. Short term? Go with Urban Meyer. 

If the next coach can get 8-9 wins a year, some double digit wins every so often, he’ll be idolized in Nebraska. If we want a great coach we’re gonna have to pony up the cash.

It is interesting that we are now hoping for 8-9 win seasons when we had that with Bo and we could not wait to get rid of the guy. I guess after two plus decades of disappointing dive into oblivion, we are willing to settle for 8 win seasons. Thanks Frost, you really lowered the bar in Lincoln and were able to break our spirits. That is definitely an accomplishment!

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

Imo.  We got to try to get proven P5 winner HC with a big name rep that can recruit.  It narrows the list down to a handful I realize.  But we need a home run (grand slam) hire that checks recruiting and image and leadership etc boxes.  The program is in dire straits.  I don’t think we can risk any more gambles on unknowns or the young up and coming ‘maybe’ shooting stars.  The flame of Nebraska football brand / legacy is already very low, even just flickering really.   A generation of decline. No championships. Irrelevance.   We’ve become a ‘win’ on most opponents’ schedules.  It’s habit now, 6 consecutive losing seasons.   Fan base is at risk.  We need a unifying, real rallying focal leader guy.   It may be NOBODY is available.  

This could be why Frost has not been fired already.  Nobody we want - wants us?   A dreadful thought.  There is a lot to like, imo, about Nebraska football.  But the ‘loser’ status is not good. It’s a long climb up from the basement.  

I don’t think that the “loser status” mentioned above will keep anybody from coming to Lincoln. The losers in the past have been the coaches, not the players or fans. Great coaches can lead programs and lead even mediocre talent to great seasons. I am betting that an coach would love to land in Lincoln. Think about it, IF you are successful, you can pretty much write your own check and live a great life in Lincoln. A winning coach would certainly be put on a pedestal.

What risk would there really be in firing Frost at this point? It is just not his win/loss record, but his attitude and poor habits that will not change.  He really had one great year of coaching at UCF which blinded many, but most now have clear vision and see him for what he is.
As a rival, It was fun for quite a few years seeing the decline of Husker football, but those times are behind us and most are hoping that Nebraska becomes successful again. Boy, I am not sure that we are ready for Urban Meyer back in the Big 10 though!

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
On 9/4/2022 at 6:03 PM, TheSker said:

The bad news is a lot of schools can spend whatever they want.

Brinks trucks are on many many campuses now.

Lincoln Rikey.  Bank.

Mel Tucker.  Bank.

Every B1G and SEC school.  Bank.

.....with no guarantee of success.  Just the guarantee of a buyout if things don't go well enough 

It's always a gamble hiring a new coach. Fans realize this, but also that the current product on the field is so terrible that any other had coach can win more games. 

Fans can't possibly be scared of fielding a worse team because it only goes up from here folks.

• Plus1 1

51 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

It's always a gamble hiring a new coach. Fans realize this, but also that the current product on the field is so terrible that any other had coach can win more games. 

Fans can't possibly be scared of fielding a worse team because it only goes up from here folks.

You're probably right.

I remember when anyone could win 9 games per season.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Someone please explain Bill O'Brien to me like I am a 3rd grader, because I don't get it.

Read his bio - he would be a fantastic hire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_O'Brien_(American_football)

Successful Big 10 head coaching experience- he is the guy who had to coach 2 years at Penn State short 40 scholarships due to the sanctions.  He went 8-4 and 7-5 and was named Big Ten coach of the year, National coach of the year by ESPN and won the Paul "Bear" Bryant award.  He then left for the NFL where he took over a 2 win Houston team and made them a winner in year one.  As the head coach he won the AFC South 4 times in his 6 years.  Not a bad resume and it doesn't hurt that he is gaining experience in Nick Saban's system.

The guy can coach and he has a resume that will land him a big job after this season.  

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1