Who should our next HC be?

5 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Wow.  Losing guys like Wandale, Spielman, and McCaffery is another bad thing. Not trying to be funny but I think we win like 3-4 more games if we had them. Not much but something.  Clock management has also killed us. There’s not been any particular unit to drive us to victory. It’s like you never know which unit is just going to break down and lay an egg. That’s why it’s largely been can AM win us this game, now same thing with CT and basically Grant won us the game yesterday. 

What has McCaffrey done?  JD's heart wasnt in football.

Wandale i agree with though 

1 minute ago, Bigred_inSD said:

What has McCaffrey done?  JD's heart wasnt in football.

Wandale i agree with though 

McCaffrey had practiced a lot in our offense and then just to be gone hurt continuity, familiarity, and big play making ability, same with Wandale and JD.  We would have won some of those tight games with playmakers out there. We never got to see those investments pay off. 

I thought during the game if SF was going to bust out Smothers. Not bc of his throwing ability but he has killer speed to run. But I think North Dakota would have sent everyone at him bc they would have known that is what he was in the game for. Nebraska needed to keep CT in the game regardless of there being any offensive rhythm bc that is how you grow through adversity. 

On 8/28/2022 at 7:43 AM, Dr. Strangelove said:

The good news is that Nebraska spend whatever it wants on a quality coach. 

Furthermore, nearly anybody - and this is not hyperbole - will be an improvement over Scott Frost. It literally can't get worse than what he's done to this program. 3-9 last year,  15-30 overall with what awaits Nebraska this November? It's bad. 

Perhaps Nebraska can entertain a guy like Aranda who's inherited a difficult situation in a program, much worse than Nebraska, and turned things around for Baylor. If Nebraska wants to gamble and pay a coach less, Chadwell is an option as well. Coaches like Campbell, Rhule, or nearly anybody would be fine as well. All would be improvements. 

The bad news is a lot of schools can spend whatever they want.

Brinks trucks are on many many campuses now.

Lincoln Rikey.  Bank.

Mel Tucker.  Bank.

Every B1G and SEC school.  Bank.

.....with no guarantee of success.  Just the guarantee of a buyout if things don't go well enough 

2 hours ago, chamrocck said:

Wow.  Losing guys like Wandale, Spielman, and McCaffery is another bad thing. Not trying to be funny but I think we win like 3-4 more games if we had them. Not much but something.  Clock management has also killed us. There’s not been any particular unit to drive us to victory. It’s like you never know which unit is just going to break down and lay an egg. That’s why it’s largely been can AM win us this game, now same thing with CT and basically Grant won us the game yesterday. 

So much this.  I am hoping if we can remain consistent with the running game and CT continues to gel with receivers we will be a lot less one dimensional.  Unfortunately, for either to be successful we need the OL to step up.  For all 4 years under Frost to date, stop the QB and win the game.  (Or wait for us to shoot ourselves in the foot)

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

Lincoln Rikey.  Bank.

Mel Tucker.  Bank.

.....with no guarantee of success.  Just the guarantee of a buyout if things don't go well enough 

I wonder if this is why the buy out drops on Oct 1 vs last game of the season.  IF Frost is fired, Oct 1 (if that would be the date) gives us a leg up on all of the other teams who might be looking for a new HC.  I think NU might be the only team that will know what we are doing after game four.  I'm assuming most teams will wait until the end of the season.  End of the day, who really knows on what was said between Frost and Trev regarding a red line to cross/not cross (if there was one).

20 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Just find a coach who can motivate a team to play hard to 60 minutes.  I don't care who that guy is right now.  I can tell you that I think there are several coaches out there that could get more out of this team and program.  I don't know who or how many want this job.  Past hirings tell me that not many want this gig.  Have we tried to go and get the elite, who really knows.  Again, find a guy who can motivate his team to play hard and utilize the talent we do have. 

How about develop talent?  I've seen enough playing hard over the last 4+ years.  What I don't see is kids that materially improve or believe they are winners.

That's coaching.  

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

Lincoln Rikey.  Bank.

Mel Tucker.  Bank.

The bank needs to go to the players, which it is at UNL. 

8 hours ago, Decked said:

I don’t see Luke Fickell or Matt Campbell coming to Lincoln. At all. 

Fickell, absolutely not. Guy has never played for nor coached a team outside the state of Ohio. Pretty widely accepted that the only job he leaves for is Ohio State when Day goes to the NFL. 

Campbell is a different story. It’s not by any means a lock but there’s a realistic chance. Here’s a great national podcast on the idea that’s aged pretty well: 

1 hour ago, lo country said:

I wonder if this is why the buy out drops on Oct 1 vs last game of the season.  IF Frost is fired, Oct 1 (if that would be the date) gives us a leg up on all of the other teams who might be looking for a new HC.  I think NU might be the only team that will know what we are doing after game four.  I'm assuming most teams will wait until the end of the season.  End of the day, who really knows on what was said between Frost and Trev regarding a red line to cross/not cross (if there was one).

Oct. 16 after the Purdue game depending on the outcome is the rumor. With the bye week. Getting a jump on replacements has advantages IMO. Maybe there'll be a shocker where things turn around! 

• Plus1 1

Among potential considerations, which coaches offensive schemes would best utilize the players that we'd have on the team? Who has really good line coaches and coordinators on staff? The caliber of their assistants makes a difference too. Also, which could recruit talent rich regions in the south and Texas? 

4 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Among potential considerations, which coaches offensive schemes would best utilize the players that we'd have on the team? Who has really good line coaches and coordinators on staff? The caliber of their assistants makes a difference too. Also, which could recruit talent rich regions in the south and Texas? 

Watching FSU tonite (only 2nd game) but Norvell seems to be turning the program around in year 3.  Was successful at the G5 level.  Napier did well in game 1 against Utah....No idea what made these G5 guys seem to be doing better.  Staff, talent, more than 2 years prior HC experience?  Frost has shown the inability to do anything that resembles making progress.

I still like Jamey Chadwell.  If we are looking at G5.  A lot of names, but who would leave a "successful" program to come to NU.  IMHO, we have the talent.  NIL is making the recruitment "easier".  We have shown that wins really don't factor into job stability until year 5....

• Fire 1
7 minutes ago, lo country said:

Watching FSU tonite (only 2nd game) but Norvell seems to be turning the program around in year 3.  Was successful at the G5 level.  Napier did well in game 1 against Utah....No idea what made these G5 guys seem to be doing better.  Staff, talent, more than 2 years prior HC experience?  Frost has shown the inability to do anything that resembles making progress.

I still like Jamey Chadwell.  If we are looking at G5.  A lot of names, but who would leave a "successful" program to come to NU.  IMHO, we have the talent.  NIL is making the recruitment "easier".  We have shown that wins really don't factor into job stability until year 5....

There's no reason we can't be as competitive as many other successful programs in the league. There's challenges and I think most people's expectations are reasonable. 

I like Napier, Chadwell and Norvell. We have talent in skill positions in particular. I want to have an identity of having a stout offensive line and being more physical on both sides of the ball. It's not like ordering super of coarse (ha) but I'd like to get a group together of coaches and players that have as many "redeeming qualities" as possible. We're nowhere near where we should be now going into year 5. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, M.A. said:

Oct. 16 after the Purdue game depending on the outcome is the rumor. With the bye week. Getting a jump on replacements has advantages IMO. Maybe there'll be a shocker where things turn around! 

Getting a jump on a replacement can happen whether the current coach has been fired or not.

Frost from UCF to Nebraska for instance.......

• Fire 1