Who should our next HC be?

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

When Frost fired four offensive assistants last year, Trev went on record saying he didn't mandate that Frost fire anyone. He also said it was the head coach's job to have a vision and execute the strategy for it.

That doesn't sound like the kind of guy who's going to sit across from a candidate and mandate he retain a previous coach, regardless of how good any of us think that coach is or isn't. Unless, of course, Trev is manipulative and/or a liar.

This is an apples and oranges comparison. Frost was already the coach (he had the keys and was driving) and Trev was not going to align himself by making demands (give me the keys so to speak) that ultimately may have not worked out. He appropriately let Frost make the changes to try to improve the staff and ultimately keep his job. We all know it didn’t work out.

Frost held the keys and now they are in the hands of Trev. I trust that Trev is not going to directly mandate anything necessarily. But I am completely sure he is not giving the keys to anyone who is not supporting MJ. If you get this answer wrong, you are failing the interview. :lol:

Here is what is going to happen. A new HC will be announced and during his press conference will say something to the effect of “MJ has done a great job to keep the kids together in a trying time. I am ecstatic to have him on my staff as he is critical to the success of the program going forward”. Bank it.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 4
20 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

You seriously need to take a step back and rethink how you are choosing to react. We get it, you don’t want MJ to be HC of NU, but frankly your vitriol towards him is so disrespectful and dishonest all you are doing is embarrassing yourself. At a minimum, MJ is one of the top WR coaches in the country and also one of the top recruiters to boot. Frankly if MJ weren’t retained for next year, he would have a lot of high end offers to choose from. It is ok to disagree on whether or not MJ should be the HC, but to claim that his resume “wouldn’t get him hired as head janitor at most schools” is embarrassing for you.

Would Mickey’s resume get him hired at any other power 5 program? 

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1

1 minute ago, caveman99 said:

In what role? As a WR coach, absolutely.

As HC, like a lot of people on here are suggesting. That’s what I was originally referring to. He’s obviously a good position coach, but him at HC is a terrible hire in my opinion. No other power 5 program would even consider him for their HC position. 

• TBH 1
2 minutes ago, husker009 said:

As HC, like a lot of people on here are suggesting. That’s what I was originally referring to. He’s obviously a good position coach, but him at HC is a terrible hire in my opinion. No other power 5 program would even consider him for their HC position. 

Maybe, maybe not, but that isn’t how you are coming off. Go back and reread your post I quoted and think hard about it. Basically you come off as stating that MJ is a completely incompetent coach and individual. Just because others don’t share your view point, doesn’t mean you should take it to the extreme to make your point; that won’t change anyone’s mind, it only makes you look bad for insulting MJ in that fashion. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2
10 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

Maybe, maybe not, but that isn’t how you are coming off. Go back and reread your post I quoted and think hard about it. Basically you come off as stating that MJ is a completely incompetent coach and individual. Just because others don’t share your view point, doesn’t mean you should take it to the extreme to make your point; that won’t change anyone’s mind, it only makes you look bad for insulting MJ in that fashion. 

After 20 years of failed experiment hires, it surprises me anyone would want MJ as HC. It’s just way too much of a risk to give him that kind of responsibility with such limited experience. Nothing in these four games with him as interim has been overly impressive. NU beat two teams they were supposed to beat and lost to two teams they weren’t supposed to beat. Seems pretty average to me. Had he beat Oklahoma or Purdue, a different discussion could be taking place. I don’t even think this will be a conversation by the end of the season, though. From what I’ve seen, NU will be lucky to win another game. I can’t imagine even the die-hard Mickey fans would want him with a 2-7 record. Now, if he can be kept as an assistant, I think that would be a big win for NU. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, husker009 said:

After 20 years of failed experiment hires, it surprises me anyone would want MJ as HC. It’s just way too much of a risk to give him that kind of responsibility on such limited experience. 

That is a much more reasoned response than your last one. Others might respond with reasons on why it could work, Dabo Swinney as an example with strong parallels to the MJ scenario that did work for example, and feel free to continue to disagree in a similar fashion to this post.