Who should our next HC be?

On 10/22/2022 at 11:44 AM, husker009 said:

But he played no one with a pulse in the regular season. The Big 12 may not be the best conference, but it is miles better than the AAC. Baylor played elite offenses every week and their defense held its own for the most part.

As I recall, Auburn was ranked 7th going into that Bowl game and Mr NoGoodWins beat them.

Edited by LennynSquiggy
Corrected an error.
  • Plus1 1

1 minute ago, LennynSquiggy said:

As I recall, Auburn was ranked 4th going into that Bowl game and Mr NoGoodWins beat them.

How much do you think Auburn cared about that game? They had a shot at the playoffs and blew it in the SEC title game. They were likely feeling down on themselves. It happens all the time in bowl games. Most of Aranda’s quality wins came during the regular season and the conference title game.

18 minutes ago, M.A. said:

I can see a scenario of Aranda being hired with Grimes possibly remaining at Baylor as their HC. Joseph assumes the role of OC. Eric Mateos is a mighty fine offensive line coach. He could maybe even serve as OC sometime down the road.

Aranda isn’t “elite” but he is very good. He’s a smart cat. I think he’d have a stabilizing influence. I like the possibility of inroads to successfully recruiting the west coast and Texas which I think he could do.  I’d hate to seeing Grimes get lost in the shuffle yet it might be inevitable. 

Very true about Grimey. He is very respected and this scenario is plausible. 

• Fire 1
32 minutes ago, M.A. said:

I can see a scenario of Aranda being hired with Grimes possibly remaining at Baylor as their HC. Joseph assumes the role of OC. Eric Mateos is a mighty fine offensive line coach. He could maybe even serve as OC sometime down the road.

Aranda isn’t “elite” but he is very good. He’s a smart cat. I think he’d have a stabilizing influence. I like the possibility of inroads to successfully recruiting the west coast and Texas which I think he could do.  I’d hate to seeing Grimes get lost in the shuffle yet it might be inevitable. 

Yeah this is what I've been thinking if Aranda gets hired. I would love to have Grimes but I think it would be hard to bring him in and still have Mickey. Mateos would be great though. He has a history of producing great olineman and has coached under some great oline coaches.  

I wonder what kind of offense we would run if Mickey is the main OC with a whole off-season to implement. 

• Fire 1
4 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Yeah this is what I've been thinking if Aranda gets hired. I would love to have Grimes but I think it would be hard to bring him in and still have Mickey. Mateos would be great though. He has a history of producing great olineman and has coached under some great oline coaches.  

I wonder what kind of offense we would run if Mickey is the main OC with a whole off-season to implement. 

I don't get the thought that Mickey will automatically be the OC.  He has never called plays in his life.  NU can give Mickey a "promotion" and a raise, without making him OC.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

53 minutes ago, husker009 said:

How much do you think Auburn cared about that game? They had a shot at the playoffs and blew it in the SEC title game. They were likely feeling down on themselves. It happens all the time in bowl games. Most of Aranda’s quality wins came during the regular season and the conference title game.

So now we're belittling Auburn?

UCF beat the 7th ranked team in a bowl game after going undefeated during the season. Going undefeated is no small feat no matter what conference or level you're playing at and neither is beating the 7th ranked team in a bowl. Beating Auburn showed that UCF team was for real.

Edited by LennynSquiggy
Corrected an error.
  • Plus1 3
9 minutes ago, LennynSquiggy said:

So now we're belittling Auburn?

UCF beat the 4th ranked team in a bowl game after going undefeated during the season. Going undefeated is no small feat no matter what conference or level you're playing at and neither is beating the 4th ranked team in a bowl. Beating Auburn showed that UCF team was for real.

Auburn was the 7th ranked team at the time of the bowl game.

if they were 4th ranked I think they would have been in the playoffs.

still an accomplishment for UCF.

• Thanks 1
On 10/21/2022 at 2:29 PM, 87skers said:

Interesting, seems to conflict with other hints some local media are dropping. For instance on Friday Gary Sharp said on his show something to the effect of perhaps the next coach of NU has a bye this week, HINT, HINT. Now that would exclude PJ Fleck as Minny had a game. It would obviously include MJ, Bret Bielema, Matt Campbell, and Jeremy Chadwell, but would also exclude Dave Aranda, Lance Leipold, and Chris Kleiman. 

Who knows at this point though.

• Fire 1
13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't get the thought that Mickey will automatically be the OC.  He has never called plays in his life.  NU can give Mickey a "promotion" and a raise, without making him OC.

It's possible but it depends on his future aspirations i think. Maybe he wants to be here and that's enough for him but not everyone wants to stay somewhere where new people are promoted ahead of them. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

It's possible but it depends on his future aspirations i think. Maybe he wants to be here and that's enough for him but not everyone wants to stay somewhere where new people are promoted ahead of them. 

If Mickey wants to spend as much time recruiting as he does, being the OC isn’t a good role for him as an assistant coach. The OC needs to be studying the opponent and developing a game plan. It’s nearly impossible to do that and be the lead recruiter on the important high school players.

10 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

Interesting, seems to conflict with other hints some local media are dropping. For instance on Friday Gary Sharp said on his show something to the effect of perhaps the next coach of NU has a bye this week, HINT, HINT. Now that would exclude PJ Fleck as Minny had a game. It would obviously include MJ, Bret Bielema, Matt Campbell, and Jeremy Chadwell, but would also exclude Dave Aranda, Lance Leipold, and Chris Kleiman. 

Who knows at this point though.

That's some solid detective work.  I'd be good with Chadwell.  Would need to get a stud DC.

Just now, Huskerfollower4life said:

Does anyone think it's a slap in the face of Mickey Joseph if Nebraska does hire Aranda over him? Just food for thought. 

Potentially, but Aranda has head coaching experience in a Power 5 program, along with multiple DC stops at Power 5 programs. Aranda is younger, but frankly his experience is more impressive than Mickey’s. 

• Plus1 3