Who should our next HC be?

38 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Bad take.  He's a no nonsense guy who recruits great and has seen winning football on this level.

The bad take is thinking it is popular for ADs to dictate to an incoming HC who he must retain. MJ won’t stay with anything less than an OC position. If I am a HC, I am not interested in a job where I am told who I HAVE to keep. I think it was a pretty accurate take.

• Plus1 2

Frosty’s name should live in infamy for all of eternity. What he did as a player is irrelevant considering he robbed the players and fans blind for over four years. He lowered the bar so low here that there are some fans that think beating Indiana and Rutgers should be enough to be considered for the HC role. Even five years ago, beating those teams was expected and nothing to celebrate about. He managed to make me miss Riley.

• TBH 2
3 hours ago, caveman99 said:

Interesting, seems to conflict with other hints some local media are dropping. For instance on Friday Gary Sharp said on his show something to the effect of perhaps the next coach of NU has a bye this week, HINT, HINT. Now that would exclude PJ Fleck as Minny had a game. It would obviously include MJ, Bret Bielema, Matt Campbell, and Jeremy Chadwell, but would also exclude Dave Aranda, Lance Leipold, and Chris Kleiman. 

Who knows at this point though.

Mark Stoops would be another.

Here is an Idea.  Hire Vance Joseph, current DC for Az Cardinals and former HC at Denver Broncos, as HC and he assumes duties as DC.  He retains MJ as Asst Head Coach/Passing Game Coordinator/Recruiting Coordinator or even OC.  VJ also brings in brother Sammy Joseph as Stength and Conditioning.  Hires BB as Co DC/ST Coordinator.

I like what Applewhite has done with the running backs so far and seems to be a good recruiter, so I wouldnt mind him sticking around,  and Beckton also

• Oh Yeah! 1
28 minutes ago, HANC said:

The bad take is thinking it is popular for ADs to dictate to an incoming HC who he must retain. MJ won’t stay with anything less than an OC position. If I am a HC, I am not interested in a job where I am told who I HAVE to keep. I think it was a pretty accurate take.

A good coach will acknowledge the situation with Joseph, take him into consideration  and ultimately make a decision based on what is in the interest of of being successful whether that includes Mickey or it doesn’t. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, M.A. said:

A good coach will acknowledge the situation with Joseph, take him into consideration  and ultimately make a decision based on what is in the interest of of being successful whether that includes Mickey or it doesn’t. 

I think you're dead on with this. Imo the new coach should come in, and ask Mickey to go back to being passing game coordinator and recruiting coordinator and make him the highest paid guy in the country at those positions. Mickey is an asset to the program that would definitely hurt to lose

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I mean this is how anyone makes it to OC though. If you look at his resume he is following a pretty standard path to OC. But yeah its all speculation about a HC we dont have and the motivations of assistant coaches that we know nothing about. 

The head coach would have to be confident that Joseph will figure it out. We can be assured that he would give it his all if interested and presented the opportunity. Mickey has worked for and has earned everything in his life. It wouldn’t be any different. 

If the desire and will is there, he might grow into the role and be very good at it.

We have a long ways to go to make a determination to what capacity he serves, if any. Most have realistic expectations on this. He hasn’t been crowned anything nor does he expect to be. He’s gotten the team on a better trajectory. He has lots of hurdles yet. 

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

I think you're dead on with this. Imo the new coach should come in, and ask Mickey to go back to being passing game coordinator and recruiting coordinator and make him the highest paid guy in the country at those positions. Mickey is an asset to the program that would definitely hurt to lose

Most share this view. We know that the new coach can’t be dictated to. I’d imagine these discussions encompass a great deal of open, thoughtful exchanges. They should anyway. 

45 minutes ago, husker rob said:

Here is an Idea.  Hire Vance Joseph, current DC for Az Cardinals and former HC at Denver Broncos, as HC and he assumes duties as DC.  He retains MJ as Asst Head Coach/Passing Game Coordinator/Recruiting Coordinator or even OC.  VJ also brings in brother Sammy Joseph as Stength and Conditioning.  Hires BB as Co DC/ST Coordinator.

I like what Applewhite has done with the running backs so far and seems to be a good recruiter, so I wouldnt mind him sticking around,  and Beckton also

tried that with Bo and his bro.  hard pass.

1 hour ago, husker009 said:

Frosty’s name should live in infamy for all of eternity. What he did as a player is irrelevant considering he robbed the players and fans blind for over four years. He lowered the bar so low here that there are some fans that think beating Indiana and Rutgers should be enough to be considered for the HC role. Even five years ago, beating those teams was expected and nothing to celebrate about. He managed to make me miss Riley.

Thanks for your thoughts, you can put the bottle down now

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2
1 hour ago, husker rob said:

I said similar a couple weeks ago, but I thought Mickey as HC and Vance as DC.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1