Who should our next HC be?

7 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Do you have a link and/or recall the source? I'd just be curious to see precisely what kind of structure they were suggesting. A lot of coaching contracts have incentives built into them for winning the conference, a bowl game, or a championship. But, the bulk sum of their salary is set in stone, and I doubt Nebraska would try to short a candidate that bulk sum (if I'm understanding the context correctly).

As for your last sentence, I have very little idea what to expect salary-wise, but I personally think $8-9 million/year for five years is a steep salary for a majority of the names we've seen suggested as coaching candidates to this point. That'd be a Top 10 salary in college football. Again, though, that's just in reference to a majority of the candidates names I've seen thrown around. There are a few (like a Lane Kiffin, just as an example) who would probably command $8-9 million/year simply based off their current salary.

My initial assumption when Frost was fired is that we were probably going to be aiming for a coach in the $6-7 million/year range. $8 million+ if they're an established name and/or someone we were trying to get away from a school that was already paying them $6-7 million/year.

Nebraska Football: Rumored coaching search angle could spell disaster

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

The top guy I want is Luke Fickell, but if Mickey beats Illinois that will be huge for his candidacy. If I heard that Trev was close to a deal with Fickell today I would be angry because Trev would have not lived up to his word with Mickey. I think it is great we aren't hearing a legit leak or a peep of legit rumors. Sure the media is spewing stuff, but how much of that is for clicks? 

This is just my opinion, but I've long felt that failing to make a bowl game would probably eliminate MJ from contention. Obviously, that's not abundantly fair to a guy put in the position he's in, but it's a reality. A win against Illinois would certainly help his case, however following it up with a few duds and finishing 5-7 or something like that probably isn't going help his cause in the end.

Of course, all any of us can do is speculate. That's just my gut assumption. I feel very confident that Trev is giving all candidates, including MJ, a fair shake. IMO the biggest reason you'd hire MJ after going 3-9 or 5-7 is because you believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that his leadership qualities, character, coaching abilities, and recruiting abilities are what Nebraska needs to start winning again. But there are a few reasons to be cautious of someone like MJ, particularly with his lack of coordinating and head coaching experience at the FBS level.

I'll tell you one thing - I don't envy Trev in the least bit here. Coaching searches at a place like Nebraska seem, on the surface, like an awful experience.

6 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Trev seems like the last guy who would try to take the cheap route with this coaching search.  I think Trev knows how important this job is, and isn't going to let $ be a limiting factor.  I think that guy writing the article is grasping at straws and looking for clicks.

It wouldn't make any sense for Trev to be willing to eat Frost's buyout early in September, and then 2 months later take the cheap route with the next head coach.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Trev seems like the last guy who would try to take the cheap route with this coaching search.  I think Trev knows how important this job is, and isn't going to let $ be a limiting factor.  I think that guy writing the article is grasping at straws and looking for clicks.

No doubt. Most contracts have performance incentives. Just because he heard that's what we're going to do does not mean we are going cheap on the terms. The two are not mutually exclusive.

5 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Appreciate that - thank you.

Interesting read. I know nothing about that writer or website, so that's a bit of a personal red flag (that could very much just be a "me" problem, though).

However, the second reason I'm skeptical about those rumors is because of the AD's willingness to cut ties with Frost prior to the much cheaper alternative firing date. It would seem a bit contrarian to treat the firing situation that way while simultaneously trying to skimp on the front end of hiring someone.

IDK. With articles/rumors like that, I guess there isn't much to really say because there's no way to prove validity until the next coach is hired.

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

This is just my opinion, but I've long felt that failing to make a bowl game would probably eliminate MJ from contention. Obviously, that's not abundantly fair to a guy put in the position he's in, but it's a reality. A win against Illinois would certainly help his case, however following it up with a few duds and finishing 5-7 or something like that probably isn't going help his cause in the end.

Of course, all any of us can do is speculate. That's just my gut assumption. I feel very confident that Trev is giving all candidates, including MJ, a fair shake. IMO the biggest reason you'd hire MJ after going 3-9 or 5-7 is because you believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that his leadership qualities, character, coaching abilities, and recruiting abilities are what Nebraska needs to start winning again. But there are a few reasons to be cautious of someone like MJ, particularly with his lack of coordinating and head coaching experience at the FBS level.

I'll tell you one thing - I don't envy Trev in the least bit here. Coaching searches at a place like Nebraska seem, on the surface, like an awful experience.

Oh I agree with everything you said and I by no means was saying Mickey should vault to the top. I am just saying if Mickey beats a ranked team that would be huge for him on his on the job the job interview. He definitely would need to keep that momentum going. I am guessing the next few games are his most important because we need to have a coach in place before Iowa so we can announce it right after. 

16 minutes ago, Spacer said:

An NFL staff, maybe?

All the common names being thrown out there (except Rhule, kinda), are primarily College Guys.

Ron Rivera & Mike Tomlin may be on the hot seat... potential candidates? 

We may also consider stealing a top NFL coordinator if he can bring guys who develop talent at a pro level with him.

Eric Bieniemy, Mike Kafka, Leslie Frazier or Ken Dorsey would be interesting, maybe.

IDK... it may be better to stick with someone who knows the college ranks, but interesting to discuss, as it is a possibility

I'd have no issue with an NFL guy tbh.  Harbaugh is a weird dude, but I'd like Michigans record or his time at Stanford......Cally for all the hate (Me included) had the O clicking.  He brought his buddy Coz.  Had he brought a legit DC, he might still be here.  Kellen Moore for example is making 2 million/year at Dallas as OC.  

One thing I like is an outside source is helping.  It's been REALLY quiet so whatever is going on is being done without leaks.  I really liked when he said he knows a lot of folks and will get their opinions.  I am hoping this not only includes the coach, but possible offensive/defensive schemes....

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Hindsight is always perfect, but if you went back to 2014 you would find zero Husker fans saying they'd be cool with Nebraska football topping out at 9-4, unranked, out Big10 contention, and with one of the worst records against ranked opponents in the Power5, typically a nationally televised embarrassment. 

Fired from Nebraska, Bo Pelini was hired by his hometown college with the full support of his old friend and AD Jim Tressel. Freed from Harvey Perleman and Nebraska expectations, Bo lasted three fewer seasons at Youngstown State than he did at Nebraska, moving on to the even friendlier comfort zone of his old job as DC at LSU, where the team posted the worst defensive numbers in its history and Bo was fired after one season. Although only 54 years old, Bo Pelini has not coached since and is rarely cited for any HC openings. 

For whatever reason.

Because Mike Riley and Scott Frost were really going to change that. Riley went 5-7 at Oregon State his final year and Frost’s success came in the AAC. Not sure how people could have seen either of those guys as sure upgrades over Bo. With Bo, he was the kind of coach where if there is not anyone that is a definitive upgrade, it is best to keep him. I remember being shocked when Riley was hired and thinking “that’s who they fired Bo for?” Sure enough, Riley only lasted three years. Frosty only got more than three years because he played here in the 90s. That’s always enough to land a job of some kind at NU apparently.

Let's see here...

• Base salary of $1M
  • $500K bonus for each win up to 6 wins
  • $750K bonus for each win 7-10
  • $1M bonus for each win 11-12
  • $500K bonus for winning B1G West
  • $1M bonus for winning B1G
  • $1.5M bonus for making CFP
  • $3.0M bonus for winning CFP

NOTE: All bonuses are cumulative.

So, win 7 games, make $4.75M. Go undefeated and win it all, make $15M. Seems pretty fair to me.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
  • Oh Yeah! 3
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

Hindsight isn't ALWAYS perfect.

Sometimes folks forget Pelini topped out at 10-4.

And only finished one year unranked in Coaches' Poll and two in the AP poll.

f#&% BO PELINI!!!  Thankfully that douche canoe had that meeting with players on his way out the door.  Yeah, he had a record we all wish for now but I will never settle for having a classless SOB like that as our coach.  NEVER!

We should all be hoping for Mickey Joseph to get on a run with this team and that he becomes the next coach.  That's all there should be until the end of the season.  Alberts will continue to do the hire diligence but anyone else being named the coach before the end of the season isn't likely unless we lose the next few games.

If MJ doesn't get the job, I'm not sure if I have a favorite.  Matt Campbell is intriguing.  

It's up to Trev to get this right.  If not, he will be latest Husker legend to come and go.  

SUPERBUNNY

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
20 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Do you have a link and/or recall the source? I'd just be curious to see precisely what kind of structure they were suggesting. A lot of coaching contracts have incentives built into them for winning the conference, a bowl game, or a championship. But, the bulk sum of their salary is set in stone, and I doubt Nebraska would try to short a candidate that bulk sum (if I'm understanding the context correctly).

As for your last sentence, I have very little idea what to expect salary-wise, but I personally think $8-9 million/year for five years is a steep salary for a majority of the names we've seen suggested as coaching candidates to this point. That'd be a Top 10 salary in college football. Again, though, that's just in reference to a majority of the candidates names I've seen thrown around. There are a few (like a Lane Kiffin, just as an example) who would probably command $8-9 million/year simply based off their current salary.

My initial assumption when Frost was fired is that we were probably going to be aiming for a coach in the $6-7 million/year range. $8 million+ if they're an established name and/or someone we were trying to get away from a school that was already paying them $6-7 million/year.

As it relates to salary, Chadwell is making slightly south of $1million.  Deion is making $300k and gives half back to JSU.  I'd be good with either one tbh.  Liepold is $2.8 million and Klieman is $3.5 million.  Grinch was at $1.8 million at OU (unsure of USC), I am guessing Grimes is around that as OC at Baylor.  I think any of those would be able to be hired for the amount @tmfr15talks about.  I think if it is "incentive" base you will probably get more interest from coordinators/G5 than you will a successful P5 coach.  Going to be an interesting next few months...

• Plus1 1