Who should our next HC be?

Maybe we are going about this the wrong way. Give me like the top 10 recruiters and developers of talent. Who are those guys? Mickey seems to be one at WR. Who Is that for OL and DL because I go there next. I would probably take 3 of those guys over the splash HC hire but a lot of times these may be guys connected to each other.  We could get that CEO type and then use the dollars for recruiting and development. I know easier said than done but who could we potentially get? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

If you don’t open up your wallet, you are going to limit yourself to coaches who may be interested in the job. If Trev goes to the search firm and says “put out feelers and say we are in the $6-8 million range for the head coach and another $7-10 million for his staff” and that will get more coaches interested in the job. If you are offering a low salary, you are already limiting yourself in the candidates pool. I get your analogy, but it doesn’t make sense in this instance. This is more like an unsuccessful restaurant owner who wants to keep his place open and start making $ again, so they are willing to renovate and update the restaurant and bring in an experienced, successful chef who can change the fortunes of the restaurant. 

Have you never touched a hot stove?  Tell me when you do

• Oh Yeah! 1

14 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Maybe we are going about this the wrong way. Give me like the top 10 recruiters and developers of talent. Who are those guys? Mickey seems to be one at WR. Who Is that for OL and DL because I go there next. I would probably take 3 of those guys over the splash HC hire but a lot of times these may be guys connected to each other.  We could get that CEO type and then use the dollars for recruiting and development. I know easier said than done but who could we potentially get? 

I agree. NU won by developing talent, having a set system that worked in the league they were in, and played sound fundamental football.  And realized that everything went through dominant line play.  But to get the recruiters, you might have to "suggest" new HC looks at these guys.  BUT MJ and BB are known as great recruiters....

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, lo country said:

And realized that everything went through dominant line play.

:yeah
This is our biggest failure IMO. It’s like we abandoned what made us good.  The sooner we get back to this the sooner we start winning and everything looks way better.  I pay top dollar to fix this.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Why do you want Mickey to hold onto a number of coaches who have been part of an unsuccessful staff?  You are acting like Nebraska has no other choice but to keep doing what we’ve been doing with the same players and the same coaches. Do you not watch the same games I do? I see a lot of bad football being played, with very little talent, and absolutely no depth.  Starting over with a new staff and some loss of players may hurt in the short run, but I think it’s what is necessary in the long run. Trev isn’t thinking about what this new coach is gonna do in year 1, he’s thinking what the new coach and staff is going to do in years 2-3 and beyond. 

Seriously, why do people change up the words I say?  No wonder it gets frustrating around Husker football.  

You say

"Why do you want Mickey to hold onto a number of coaches who have been part of an unsuccessful staff?  You are acting like Nebraska has no other choice but to keep doing what we’ve been doing with the same players and the same coaches."

I had said

"Let him retain who he want, hire who he want"... which means, keep someone or no one, I don't care.  It's up to him.  Isolate deficiencies, recruit better coaches.

You say

"Starting over with a new staff and some loss of players may hurt in the short run but I think it’s what is necessary in the long run.

I will reply with

"if 20 years of doing the same thing and still doing the same thing and then doing the same thing.... it isn't a helpful situation for long run or short run;  it's still doing the same thing"  You got that?

You say

Trev isn’t thinking about what this new coach is gonna do in year 1, he’s thinking what the new coach and staff is going to do in years 2-3 and beyond. 

I will say

Durrrrr... 

I will then add..

Same story, Same thing, Different contract

PS.

Stop making things so complicated when it really isn't so difficult to see.  We need a leader (Mickey), with a CEO "hands off approach with assistants" (Mickey), a super awesome recruiter for talent and coaches (Mickey), a leader of young men (Mickey), a coach who has been around a lot of winning (Micky) and an ex-Husker who loves Nebraska football (Mickey) and a person who will put his best effort into the program (Mickey) and a coach that players love to play for (Mickey). 

Mickey might have amazing thoughts about how he wants his offense and defense to play in 2023 and beyond, and I can only hope Trev will be wise enough to listen.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2
2 hours ago, admo said:

Trust me brother, I totally understand that concept of thinking. Let me put it another way.

Nebraska is Soup N Salad

The other places are well established Steak and Chop Houses.

You don't pay the same Steak prices for a location that has Soup.... sitting under a heat lamp, and salad that has French dressing.  No matter how demanding the expectations for the Soup and Salad Bar is...... because it's not a Steak and Chop House.  Nobody would.

Or another way.... if you run a business, you don't pay a manager at a Soup kitchen the same as other established businesses that pay the manager of a steak house.

I'm just saying....  we have a long way to go and need to see success first and the trajectory going up and up, before we open up Fort Knox.

We need a coach that will get us to the desert tray.

1 hour ago, admo said:

Seriously, why do people change up the words I say?  No wonder it gets frustrating around Husker football.  

You say

"Why do you want Mickey to hold onto a number of coaches who have been part of an unsuccessful staff?  You are acting like Nebraska has no other choice but to keep doing what we’ve been doing with the same players and the same coaches."

I had said

"Let him retain who he want, hire who he want"... which means, keep someone or no one, I don't care.  It's up to him.  Isolate deficiencies, recruit better coaches.

You say

"Starting over with a new staff and some loss of players may hurt in the short run but I think it’s what is necessary in the long run.

I will reply with

"if 20 years of doing the same thing and still doing the same thing and then doing the same thing.... it isn't a helpful situation for long run or short run;  it's still doing the same thing"  You got that?

You say

Trev isn’t thinking about what this new coach is gonna do in year 1, he’s thinking what the new coach and staff is going to do in years 2-3 and beyond. 

I will say

Durrrrr... 

I will then add..

PS.

Stop making things so complicated when it really isn't so difficult to see.  We need a leader (Mickey), with a CEO "hands off approach with assistants" (Mickey), a super awesome recruiter for talent and coaches (Mickey), a leader of young men (Mickey), a coach who has been around a lot of winning (Micky) and an ex-Husker who loves Nebraska football (Mickey) and a person who will put his best effort into the program (Mickey) and a coach that players love to play for (Mickey). 

Mickey might have amazing thoughts about how he wants his offense and defense to play in 2023 and beyond, and I can only hope Trev will be wise enough to listen.

And in response to the original post, I'll add that the coaches some fans want to retain are in their first season here (sans Beckton). Can't really lay this s#!t show on them. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, chamrocck said:

Well Id like Nebraska to try and go after John Garrison at NC State. He is a great o-line coach. Former player for us as well.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, admo said:

You say

I had said

You say

I will reply with

You say

I will say

Durrrrr... 

I will then add..

PS.

Better make your case now for mj.  The next five weeks are going to be rough.   If he didn't win any more games,  you still think he is the guy?  1 more win?  2?  

I personally would need to see a significant turnaround in on field performance before I would even state that he should be in the running.  6 wins would be the benchmark imo.  I like what he says but talk is cheap.   He needs to win football games against arguably the weakest west competition nebraska has ever faced.       

• Plus1 4