Georgia Southern - What did we Learn?

TGHusker

16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

How so?   If the coach tells you that you have the talent, you just need to do the correct things, isn’t that taking excuses away?  

Pull your head out of your a$$. 

No.  Because 99% of this is on coaches.  They threw players under the bus at every and all opportunity and ate as little fault as possible. 

That's what broke the team.  Plus Scott needing his guys out there

• Plus1 1

College football hinges hugely on emotion.  Some coaches inspire their teams and I think Frost is still waiting for the players to become their own leaders and inspire themselves.  These kids have no idea how to do that, and no idea how to win.  They need someone to guide them and this staff is so totally clueless on how to do that.  I think UCF had the right mix to do that, a lot of those guys just won 12 games before he got there.  We sucked before he got here. 

Just one of many failings. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, funhusker said:

We always complain about "development".

Why would a player work to "develop" if they are told they are already good enough?

A player should be much better their senior year compared to freshman.  If a freshman is told "you are good enough, you just need to execute", is that player going to bust his a$$ in the offseason to get bigger stronger faster?

Maybe sometimes...

Saying a player has the talent has nothing to do with if the player is developed and does what he’s supposed to do. It just says he has the ability to do it. 

A player can have all the physical ability to play linebacker and meet the RB in the hole and stop him. But, if he doesn’t pay attention enough to fill the correct hole and the RB runs through untouched, that isn’t because the player isn’t talented. He just did the wrong thing. 

• Plus1 3

@BigRedBusterThere's a lot of nuance to the situation.

I'm not trying to claim this is all on player development.  Nor all on player execution.

But telling a kid he needs to execute, without starting a fire under his a$$ to become a better athlete at the same time, doesn't compute with me.  Execution is easier if you become a better player.

I didn't think this was debatable...

1 minute ago, Bigred_inSD said:

This.  Nelson had one big play.  For someone who is hyped and loved as much as he is,  youd think he was Randy Gregory or Demarrio Williams  

And Reimers. Someone should tell him that you have a better chance of making a tackle if you don’t run into the offensive lineman coming at you. 

• Plus1 5
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Saying a player has the talent has nothing to do with if the player is developed and does what he’s supposed to do. It just says he has the ability to do it. 

A player can have all the physical ability to play linebacker and meet the RB in the hole and stop him. But, if he doesn’t pay attention enough to fill the correct hole and the RB runs through untouched, that isn’t because the player isn’t talented. He just did the wrong thing. 

If it was just a matter of "doing the wrong thing" even though they are capable to do the right thing, there is zero excuse for what we are seeing unless coaches are telling them to do the wrong things.

Mental mistakes can be fixed in one film session.

NU players, for some reason, think they can get by with mental mistakes.  My only guess is because they believe they are "good enough" to overcome the brain farts.  Which evidently isnt true.

2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

If it was just a matter of "doing the wrong thing" even though they are capable to do the right thing, there is zero excuse for what we are seeing unless coaches are telling them to do the wrong things.

Mental mistakes can be fixed in one film session.

NU players, for some reason, think they can get by with mental mistakes.  My only guess is because they believe they are "good enough" to overcome the brain farts.  Which evidently isnt true.

So, I’m not sure how we disagree. Telling the player he has the talent, he needs to be doing the right things, takes the talent excuse away. 

Now, doing the right things, might be filling the right hole. Or, it could mean spending more time watching film, or lifting weights, or simply trying harder when on the field….etc. 

I may have learned something about Scott Frost.  Following the game he stated that he didn’t want negative things in the media to "seep into the players."  For gods sake he’s made us bottom feeders in the conference.  I feel that I’ve learned that he is one flaming naive control freak.  Hyping up for performance is one thing, but not hashing out the things noticed by others that are dragging you down may be one of SF’s mistakes.  

59 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I can't remember what coach our commenter said it, but it went something like this, "Nebraska struggles to win games, because Nebraska expects to win games."

That is paraphrased, but I think there is truth to it.  The schools you mentioned (KSU, Iowa State, Iowa, etc) know that winning requires a whole lot of effort.  And for players to give that effort, they need to know that they need to work longer, harder, faster than the other teams if they want to win.  I think NU is a great job for any coach, but I also think because it is such a great job that players feel entitled and that winning just depends on who the coach is and whatever effort the players give should be "good enough".

Does that make sense?

I feel like I'm rambling...

Frost tells fans, and his players, that "the talent is there, we just need to execute"

Pelini said it too.

Callahan said it...

Riley probably made a comment like that also.

That doesn't make players hungry.  It allows the players to make excuses.  IMO.

"Frost tells fans, and his players, that "the talent is there, we just need to execute"

Pelini said it too.

Callahan said it...

Riley probably made a comment like that also"

From a credibility standpoint:

Pelini was correct 71% of the time

Callahan was correct 55% of the time

Riley was correct 50% of the time AND

Frost has been correct 34% of the time

It's the landscape of sports both professional and semi pro (NCAA), here is so much money to be had it has created a knee jerk over reach based on 1 good season.  Scott had a fluke year in 2017 at UCF with Jr's and Sr's that did not select UCF because of him.  Take out the 2017 season from his resume and look at the other 6 seasons his driving the bus stays on the road and out of the ditch 37% (22-38) of the time, not a bad percentage if he is going door to door selling aluminum siding but not as the face, leader and visionary for a team that generated revenue via wins with a reputation like Nebraska.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1