What did we learn: Indiana

8 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'm not talking about the summer. I'm talking about last night, specifically. It has nothing to do with "validation" -- it has to do with the point that I called for it, literally minutes before it happened. It has to do with the fact that even though we're all Husker fans and all want the same thing - to see this team and program succeed - there are some fans who still treat others as the enemy. 

smallest-violin-funny.gif

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

7 hours ago, admo said:

Sincerely, I general like your views and opinions.  But I must say you are way off with your take.

Indiana was 3-1 going into the game.  Just 2 seasons ago they finished ranked #12 in the AP poll.  They beat Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State, Mich State, and loss to Ohio State by 7.  And eventually lost to Ole Miss by 6 points in the Outback bowl.  The year before they won 8 games.

To keep saying they are a bad team (as you have been saying) is to disrespect them, and to brush off the Huskers win as if NU was supposed to just show up and win.

In the last 5 years, our Big Ten conference record is 13-31, which means we have lost 70% of conference games.  

The other point is, there is no room to say "Even if we win a few more games over some bad teams".... I mean, who has the right to say that???  Our Huskers have never won more than 3 games in 5 YEARS.

I hope you will eventually recognize that this was a good win, and maybe celebrate that the Huskers beat a good opponent and got it done (Hello Win Column!).  

Day by Day is the Husker motto, so let's embrace and not disgrace our opponent or our margin of victory.

We also lost to 2 of the 3 worst teams we've played this season. Any win going forward is comparatively a good win.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
13 hours ago, admo said:

Indiana was 3-1 going into the game.  Just 2 seasons ago they finished ranked #12 in the AP poll.  They beat Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State, Mich State, and loss to Ohio State by 7.  And eventually lost to Ole Miss by 6 points in the Outback bowl.  The year before they won 8 games.

To keep saying they are a bad team (as you have been saying) is to disrespect them

They went 2-10 last year and 0-9 in the B1G.  They are a bad team.  They are 83rd in total offense and 107th in total defense.  There is a decent chance they don't win another game this year.

• Plus1 1

20 minutes ago, Red Five said:

They went 2-10 last year and 0-9 in the B1G.  They are a bad team.  They are 83rd in total offense and 107th in total defense.  There is a decent chance they go don't win another game this year.

Still. For our team where it is at. Winning this game is the ONLY way to build any belief that we aren't a throw away team. There is more talent and skill on our team than a 1-11 team, but mentally we could certainly be that team. So.. Now we have 2 wins, which proves we aren't that team.  They can only do what they can do, one game at a time. Win a game, build on it, try again with a bit more belief, cohesion and tenacity the next week. We lose to Indiana? Wow, now that is a team that is truly DOA. At least we aren't that. I'll be happy with it for 4 more days.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

I feel like Indiana is roughly on the same level as Georgia Southern. Now they didn't have their two best receivers and that helped us - maybe that takes them down a notch from where Georgia Southern is at, I don't know.

But their QB's are really similar and they both have very similar schemes & playbooks.

I really believe that if Frost & Chinander had coached the Indiana game that our defense gives up 500 yards and we lose the game, or it's at least a boat race where we just barely squeeze out the win.

I'm still just so pissed at Chinander's inability to have gotten his corners into a place where we could at least play SOME man-to-man coverage and be more aggressive with our LB's. If we had done that against Georgia Southern we're 3-2 right now with a legit chance of being 4-2 after Rutgers.

Thing is...had to fire those guys to get into a better place. I would have preferred just firing Chinander alone after GA Southern but it is what it is.

One other thought: Mickey & Whipple need to make sure they're not over-coaching the team during the game. I wonder if they're trying to overcompensate for some of the things Frost wasn't doing.

The decision to put Purdy in deep in our own territory was an incredibly bad one. Then it was like Whipple doubled down by calling a "stand in the pocket and throw" play on the 3rd & long.

Unless Thompson is walking up to the coaches and throwing the bird and insulting their moms I don't see why you bench one of the three best players on the team.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

One other thought: Mickey & Whipple need to make sure they're not over-coaching the team during the game. I wonder if they're trying to overcompensate for some of the things Frost wasn't doing.

The decision to put Purdy in deep in our own territory was an incredibly bad one. Then it was like Whipple doubled down by calling a "stand in the pocket and throw" play on the 3rd & long.

Unless Thompson is walking up to the coaches and throwing the bird and insulting their moms I don't see why you bench one of the three best players on the team.

All though our line is not the best some of the sacks and hits he took were on him. He is holding it way to long and that's probably why he was getting RIPPED after they had already told him throw damn ball. 

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

All though our line is not the best some of the sacks and hits he took were on him. He is holding it way to long and that's probably why he was getting RIPPED after they had already told him throw damn ball. 

Overall the intent was really good and I love to see our coaches making decisions during the game that show everyone involved gives a s*** about doing everything we can to win.

But I still say that Purdy wasn't ready to go in and be asked to stand in the pocket deep in our own territory...and then the decision to not just hand the ball off to Anthony Grant on the 3rd & long was just dumb.

It cost us 7 points when we were ahead and came really close to making the momentum shift over to Indiana and blow the game just to prove a point.

Now in the long haul of the season? Yeah, maybe it winds up being a good thing.

46 minutes ago, Undone said:

Overall the intent was really good and I love to see our coaches making decisions during the game that show everyone involved gives a s*** about doing everything we can to win.

But I still say that Purdy wasn't ready to go in and be asked to stand in the pocket deep in our own territory...and then the decision to not just hand the ball off to Anthony Grant on the 3rd & long was just dumb.

It cost us 7 points when we were ahead and came really close to making the momentum shift over to Indiana and blow the game just to prove a point.

Now in the long haul of the season? Yeah, maybe it winds up being a good thing.

Agreed, would rather See Smothers in. I'm not a fan of Purdy honestly. Smothers can and will at least run.

• Fire 1