What players leave after the season? 2022/23 version

On 3/13/2023 at 8:15 PM, Red Five said:

I was told last week by someone who occasionally knows things of 2 contributors (Grant being one) from last year that were not exactly taking to the new staff.

Today I saw Grant mentioned on another Husker site as someone having “issues”, so figured I’d share what I heard since it was out there.

On 3/14/2023 at 8:03 AM, Rusty Football said:

Care to offer the other name?

It was Tommi Hill

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Rusty Football said:

@Red Five, you can take a victory lap for Grant. I like Hill, hope he figures it out.

I hope both players come back to the team especially Grant.  For me at the running back position it's AA and AG but if you don't want to be part of the team then it just goes to show you how much certain players no matter how talented they are aren't right for the culture that hc Matt Rhule is trying to establish.

• TBH 1
9 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I hope both players come back to the team especially Grant.  For me at the running back position it's AA and AG but if you don't want to be part of the team then it just goes to show you how much certain players no matter how talented they are aren't right for the culture that hc Matt Rhule is trying to establish.

I think Grant is replaceable.  Gabe Ervin is being mentioned by coaches and media members as the most complete RB, in terms of size, speed, and running ability.  Ervin was good enough to start as a true freshman in 2021, and starting to look good until he tore his ACL against Oklahoma.  The first year after that injury is tough, and the change in RB coaches didn't help him, but Ervin has a fresh start with this new coaching staff.  I also like Ajay Allen, who was making a push for more carries until his shoulder injury in 2022.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

Seems like it might be time to move on from Grant. There were rumors about Hill being a bit difficult during his time at ASU, but I was really hoping that those potential issues would not follow him to Nebraska. Hopefully he gets everything figured out, because he's a heck of a talent.

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think Grant is replaceable.  Gabe Ervin is being mentioned by coaches and media members as the most complete RB, in terms of size, speed, and running ability.  Ervin was good enough to start as a true freshman in 2021, and starting to look good until he tore his ACL against Oklahoma.  The first year after that injury is tough, and the change in RB coaches didn't help him, but Ervin has a fresh start with this new coaching staff.  I also like Ajay Allen, who was making a push for more carries until his shoulder injury in 2022.

What sucks about Grant is, as you pointed out, RBs get hurt.  We need as many really good backs as we can get.  

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I understand.  To me I've never been a fan of Ervin or Rahmir.  Allen and Grant to me are more shifter i-backs in the open field.  I think it's whatever running style you prefer.  More downhill running or more cut and juke.

• Haha 4
2 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I understand.  To me I've never been a fan of Ervin or Rahmir.  Allen and Grant to me are more shifter i-backs in the open field.  I think it's whatever running style you prefer.  More downhill running or more cut and juke.

We didn't see enough of Ervin to give a full review of his running ability.  I didn't like all the dancing that Grant did.  It worked early in the season against weaker defenses, but all of that dancing didn't do much against better defenses.  I really like Allen, but Grant is meh.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

We didn't see enough of Ervin to give a full review of his running ability.  I didn't like all the dancing that Grant did.  It worked early in the season against weaker defenses, but all of that dancing didn't do much against better defenses.  I really like Allen, but Grant is meh.

Well Grant did a lot of dancing to find running lanes bc as the season progressed the o-line got worse and by the end of the season we didn't really have a run game.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

If Grant doesn't get his sh*t figured out, I'm fine moving on from him. 

Hill really hasn't fit in anywhere since he got here, but I was hoping that was a Frost thing and not a Hill thing. 

Not terribly surprised at Hickman; he was a tweener that really couldn't find a position (or keep weight on to help him find a position). 

Sort of surprised at Carnie; I thought he had a lot of potential, and was the next guy coming down the road in terms of home-grown TEs. 

• Plus1 3

24 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Well Grant did a lot of dancing to find running lanes bc as the season progressed the o-line got worse and by the end of the season we didn't really have a run game.  

I agree that the o-line didn't help in the success of the running game (along with no threat in the QB run game).  However, Grant didn't do the o-line favors with all of his dancing around.  I am not an expert at watching film, but I am sure there were opportunities for Grant to plant his foot, get upfield and get some yards, but instead he danced around.  It's not worth arguing at this point, but I just don't buy the thought that Grant is as important to the team as some thinK.

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Red Five said:

It was Tommi Hill

I have to wonder about his future here. Last year he starts the first few games as a DB, then loses the his starting roll. Next thing we know he's moved to WR where he didn't contribute. This year under the new staff he's back on defense and now he is suspended going into the first practice. Now exactly a model of stability.

4 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

If Grant doesn't get his sh*t figured out, I'm fine moving on from him. 

Hill really hasn't fit in anywhere since he got here, but I was hoping that was a Frost thing and not a Hill thing. 

Not terribly surprised at Hickman; he was a tweener that really couldn't find a position (or keep weight on to help him find a position). 

Sort of surprised at Carnie; I thought he had a lot of potential, and was the next guy coming down the road in terms of home-grown TEs. 

Kind of surpised on Carnie just because he's young and we knew he'd need some development but also it seems that Nate Boerkircher has been ahead of some of those other young guys so that's probably telling.

• TBH 1

Considering how many guys we need to shed to get to 85, I'd say anyone that anyone you hear anything negative about (like a suspension) should probably be considered to be on their way out the door.

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 1