Prime Time!!! - Deion Sanders Hired as Colorado Head Coach

Shiggity

Have fun building a team clownshow Deion. Every time things don’t go your way, you throw your “lack of talent” under the bus. Bet that really makes your players want to go win for you. He must think potential recruits and transfers don’t see this s#!t.  You’re a f#&%ing disgrace. All show, no go. Boulder would be the last place I’d let my kid go play.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Have fun building a team clownshow Deion. Every time things don’t go your way, you throw your “lack of talent” under the bus. Bet that really makes your players want to go win for you. He must think potential recruits and transfers don’t see this s#!t.  You’re a f#&%ing disgrace. All show, no go. Boulder would be the last place I’d let my kid go play.

Yep….

He’s perfect, but the players…..other than his sons….suck.  

• TBH 2

It is crazy to think that IF they did not start 3-0, but were still currently 4-4, that this would be a much better/nicer story.

But the collapse has become the story.  I just looked and they finish with Beavers, Wildcats, Cougars and Utes 

The chances of them getting two more wins is slim as they will be dogs in all those games.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1

Probably going to get a lot of disagreement, but I actually don't have much of a problem with what Deion said about his offensive line. :dunno

We all know one job of a college coach is to find better players than what they've got. I've heard other college coaches say similar things to what Deion said. I mean yeah most of us probably think the "right" thing to say in this situation is that he'll coach up the players and make 'em better and all that jazz... but we also all know the other truth, which is that the coach is going to actively try and find new players to take those jobs. That's one of the whole points of recruiting.

I think maybe people just don't like the way he said it, but if I were a player, I think I'd appreciate the transparency. I know my coach is trying to find guys to take my job from me. Do I really want to pretend like that isn't happening? Deion seems like the kind of guy that will support/build up a player if he needs to, so I doubt Deion runs around practice telling struggling players to just get bent. Probably just trying to send a message to those guys.

14 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Probably going to get a lot of disagreement, but I actually don't have much of a problem with what Deion said about his offensive line. :dunno

We all know one job of a college coach is to find better players than what they've got. I've heard other college coaches say similar things to what Deion said. I mean yeah most of us probably think the "right" thing to say in this situation is that he'll coach up the players and make 'em better and all that jazz... but we also all know the other truth, which is that the coach is going to actively try and find new players to take those jobs. That's one of the whole points of recruiting.

I think maybe people just don't like the way he said it, but if I were a player, I think I'd appreciate the transparency. I know my coach is trying to find guys to take my job from me. Do I really want to pretend like that isn't happening? Deion seems like the kind of guy that will support/build up a player if he needs to, so I doubt Deion runs around practice telling struggling players to just get bent. Probably just trying to send a message to those guys.

Yes and no.

Of course it is the coaches job to bring in better talent. Always, in all circumstances. And sometimes coaches will make public statements to help light a fire in some under-performers. But I’m not sure the way and frequency he has been doing it is very conducive to team building. A coach can over recruit and bring in transfers without belittling and blaming current players.  Regardless how poor his OL may be, he has been doing this to them ever since they started losing. He has good things to say only about his son the QB, Hunter and occasionally the RB. Other than them his message has been pretty much the same for everyone else…you’re not good enough and it’s not my fault.

IDK, seems like a ticking time bomb to me. Might get away with it at a Jackson State or HBCU based just on his celebrity and persona but I have serious doubts that tact will work in D1 P5 ball. Compounding the problem is many of the players he desires are prima donnas to begin with. Not sure how that type of player is going to take to being called not good enough. At least I haven’t seen any examples of position groups and players being consistently thrown under the bus working out too well for a coach.

• Plus1 2
35 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Of course it is the coaches job to bring in better talent. Always, in all circumstances. And sometimes coaches will make public statements to help light a fire in some under-performers. But I’m not sure the way and frequency he has been doing it is very conducive to team building. A coach can over recruit and bring in transfers without belittling and blaming current players.  Regardless how poor his OL may be, he has been doing this to them ever since they started losing. He has good things to say only about his son the QB, Hunter and occasionally the RB. Other than them his message has been pretty much the same for everyone else…you’re not good enough and it’s not my fault.

IDK, seems like a ticking time bomb to me. Might get away with it at a Jackson State or HBCU based just on his celebrity and persona but I have serious doubts that tact will work in D1 P5 ball. Compounding the problem is many of the players he desires are prima donnas to begin with. Not sure how that type of player is going to take to being called not good enough. At least I haven’t seen any examples of position groups and players being consistently thrown under the bus working out too well for a coach.

Yeah I could definitely see why this tactic is troublesome/worrisome if he's been consistently dunking on players he doesn't think play well. I don't really follow Deion/CU that closely, so my facetime with things he says is pretty minimal. In a vacuum, this didn't really bother me, but I guess I'm unaware if this is what he usually does.

(Plus, I found his statement a little less damning when taken into context with the rest of the press conference. Earlier in the same press conference, when asked about the line, he said "The line has to improve, there ain’t no aspect. The line has to improve.” Then, he was asked another question about the offensive line regarding what the 'big picture' was, to which he said “The big picture, you go get new linemen. That’s the picture, I’m going to paint it perfectly.” So, there was kind of a flow/arc to what he was saying - yes, we need to get better and I need to find new players.)

And yeah, I too am interested to see how his apparent strategy works in the long term. I'm not really questioning how his recruits will handle being called out, but I do wonder how a lot of his players will handle playing together through adversity. So many of them are transfers and flashy guys that seem to share a lot of similar personality traits. A few of those kinds of guys on a team is a good thing, but a lot of them makes me wonder if they'll just throw in the towel and only worry about themselves when the going gets tough.

I think the public shaming and saying you're just going to replace them can work with certain types of players. He wants guys who aren't afraid of that because they just can't envision a scenario where they play poorly enough to be called out. But the portal is already thin on OL and it seems like that narrows your options further.

If Colorado were the place to be it might work, but why would a starting caliber OL choose them over Michigan, Oklahoma, or any of the already good teams that consistently grab transfer OL from the portal and place guys in the NFL. You also probably need to worry about how long your position coach will last - he was pretty clearly a Sean Lewis guy rather than handpicked by Deion, so it's not hard to imagine him being gone as early as this offseason. 

To Deion's credit, he has his opinion and he doesn't change based on backlash. Pitt's coach (Narduzzi) made probably worse statements about his players, then due to the backlash sort of walked them back? But not really, just the coach speak "it all falls on me." So I'd guess Narduzzi is a lot closer to losing his team's buy-in than Deion is, honestly that looks worse to me. 

I will say, Deion has been consistent in his messaging about needing better players and he’s not wrong. I just have serious doubts about the way he has been going about it. And it makes it appear much worse when you consider how his son and TH are never the problem. TH is special and Shadeur is pretty dang good too but the optics of placing them on a pedestal above the rest of the team are poor at best. Any other QB and you’d be hearing how he needs to throw the ball away in certain situations. But not Shadeur, it’s all on the deficient line.

• Plus1 1