Prime Time!!! - Deion Sanders Hired as Colorado Head Coach

Shiggity

22 minutes ago, Street Novelist said:

It's going to be so funny if, after several seasons, Colorado haven't gone to the CFP or even won the Big 12. Imagine paying Deion all of that money and getting him on tv practically every week, shooting commercials and giving interviews, only to win 8-9 games a season.

CU winning 8-9 games per season would be a win in my book. What will be funny is paying him all that money and him bolting in 3-4 years and never getting beyond 6 or 7 wins.

So, I'm at a wine bar that my wife and I are regulars at over the weekend, and the sCUm/UCLA game is on TV. Something good happens for UCLA and I gave a quiet little clap about it. Some clown next to me in perhaps the ugliest western shirt I've ever seen glares at me and says "What, are you a UCLA fan or something?" I said no, I just can't stand CU and that I'm a Nebraska fan. He smirks and asks me what Nebraska fans have ever had to cheer about. I respond with "Well, not much lately, but we did enjoy all of the national championships and kicking CU's a$$ for many, many seasons." He mumbled something about living in the past, flashed me the Shadeur watch gesture, and stumbled away to join his group of friends, who were all giving him very awkward, "shut your pie hole" looks.

I hate CU "fans"...

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1
11 minutes ago, AZRaiderH8r said:

So, I'm at a wine bar that my wife and I are regulars at over the weekend, and the sCUm/UCLA game is on TV. Something good happens for UCLA and I gave a quiet little clap about it. Some clown next to me in perhaps the ugliest western shirt I've ever seen glares at me and says "What, are you a UCLA fan or something?" I said no, I just can't stand CU and that I'm a Nebraska fan. He smirks and asks me what Nebraska fans have ever had to cheer about. I respond with "Well, not much lately, but we did enjoy all of the national championships and kicking CU's a$$ for many, many seasons." He mumbled something about living in the past, flashed me the Shadeur watch gesture, and stumbled away to join his group of friends, who were all giving him very awkward, "shut your pie hole" looks.

I hate CU "fans"...

Funny thing is at the end of the season, the Nebraska win might be there best win.

• TBH 3

4 hours ago, Enhance said:

Probably going to get a lot of disagreement, but I actually don't have much of a problem with what Deion said about his offensive line. :dunno

We all know one job of a college coach is to find better players than what they've got. I've heard other college coaches say similar things to what Deion said. I mean yeah most of us probably think the "right" thing to say in this situation is that he'll coach up the players and make 'em better and all that jazz... but we also all know the other truth, which is that the coach is going to actively try and find new players to take those jobs. That's one of the whole points of recruiting.

I think maybe people just don't like the way he said it, but if I were a player, I think I'd appreciate the transparency. I know my coach is trying to find guys to take my job from me. Do I really want to pretend like that isn't happening? Deion seems like the kind of guy that will support/build up a player if he needs to, so I doubt Deion runs around practice telling struggling players to just get bent. Probably just trying to send a message to those guys.

We have gone years where we have had coaches talk about the players not playing good enough and needing to upgrade talent and the fans have complained that the coach is "throwing the players under the bus".  

I prefer to have a coach that can say something similar but include the coaches need to do a better job and coaching the players.  That's what it seems like we have now and the players respond to that in a much more positive way.

Offensive line is the one position group that is by far the most difficult to just get mercenaries to come in and make it great. As an athletically elite skill player Deion has never understood and continues to fail to understand the importance of development of the lines as a key ingredient to football success.

He's also falling into the classic and predictable dilemma that makes star players so often be terrible coaches. Because he was so innately gifted athletically, his narrative is that wanting it enough magically results in being amazing and there's nothing more to it, so when confronted with his players not being amazing he thinks that means that they don't care enough. 

• TBH 4
2 hours ago, Street Novelist said:

I don't think it would be a win for most sCUm fans. 

Maybe, I know extremely few actual CU fans. Most are bandwagon riders only when things are going well. My point was, 8-9 wins per year for CU should be more than they can reasonably hope for. But, if they were reasonable, they wouldn’t be CU fans to begin with. Their win total of 4 right now is about all they’re going to see this season.

• Plus1 1

Like I said before, where are the guys gonna go?  They used up their transfer to get to CU.

So, they are sort of stuck.  Is he going to tell them to get lost?  That really creates a tough situation because it makes it even harder to get transfers there.

Their first 3 games were great for them, they made great plays but then the scout got out on them.  They won't try running and their OL is horrible.  Sanders holds on to the ball super long and will take sacks and hits.

• TBH 1

6 hours ago, AZRaiderH8r said:

I hate CU "fans"...

So, run of the mill civilian booger eaters are now doing the watch flash?

• Haha 1