** 2023 Opponent Preview : Colorado (Game 2) **

TGHusker

2 hours ago, huskerfan702 said:

That’s the problem the fan base needs to start demanding more. These people get paid millions of dollars and we’re supposed to believe in a process that puts kade Warner on the field. The fans don’t hold these people accountable and they’ve been selling the same dream. 

After watching CU plug and play video game style to immediately get results I think we are in trouble. Not just for this Saturday but because of a long rebuild that is in store for us. Our ineptitude has lost a generation of football talent. It’s all flash, money, social media, big personalities on the sidelines, instant overnight success or you’re gone. We have none of that. And I don’t think we are going to be able to compete with CU, OU, OSU, FSU, Oregon, USC, Bama, UGA for the skill players that get clicks. We are not breaking into that space. I thought we had a chance with Calibraska or Scotty with the hottest offense one year in football, but I’m done with it. There is no way we are going to get the high powered weapons away from these other schools. We have to go a different direction.

Instead we have to go back to old school traditional punch you in the mouth football. We need to reclaim that. A team that has a defensive identity. A team that runs the ball with heavy sets with bruising backs not the slot guys who don’t gain any yards on 90% of sweeps. Run the ball north/south. Use TE’s. Have some WRs that can block and a weapon that can stretch the field when defenses stack the box.  Here we can win. Take the players that Wisconsin, Iowa, Minny, KState want and out-recruit them for an identity. We plug skill holes via the portal.  Heck take our identity back from Wisconsin as we can do it better than them.

While everyone else is going new school we go old school and own the space and win on that identity.  That’s it. It will take time but once established can be a very solid program. If the defense also regains its rightful history it will once again be a program to be proud of.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

After watching CU plug and play video game style to immediately get results I think we are in trouble. Not just for this Saturday but because of a long rebuild that is in store for us. Our ineptitude has lost a generation of football talent. It’s all flash, money, social media, big personalities on the sidelines, instant overnight success or you’re gone. We have none of that. And I don’t think we are going to be able to compete with CU, OU, OSU, FSU, Oregon, USC, Bama, UGA for the skill players that get clicks. We are not breaking into that space. I thought we had a chance with Calibraska or Scotty with the hottest offense one year in football, but I’m done with it. There is no way we are going to get the high powered weapons away from these other schools. We have to go a different direction.

Instead we have to go back to old school traditional punch you in the mouth football. We need to reclaim that. A team that has a defensive identity. A team that runs the ball with heavy sets with bruising backs not the slot guys who don’t gain any yards on 90% of sweeps. Run the ball north/south. Use TE’s. Have some WRs that can block and a weapon that can stretch the field when defenses stack the box.  Here we can win. Take the players that Wisconsin, Iowa, Minny, KState want and out-recruit them for an identity. We plug skill holes via the portal.  Heck take our identity back from Wisconsin as we can do it better than them.

While everyone else is going new school we go old school and own the space and win on that identity.  That’s it. It will take time but once established can be a very solid program. If the defense also regains its rightful history it will once again be a program to be proud of.

We either adapt or become Wisconsin 

1 hour ago, huskerfan702 said:

We either adapt or become Wisconsin 

Interesting comment because a lot of fans wanted us to adapt into becoming Wisconsin. They thought Wisconsin's power offense was the right blueprint.

We basically brought in a guy that's doing it.

• Fire 1
  • TBH 2

Colorado's D gave up more points than anyone last year(44.5 PPG).  TCU wasn't very far behind (29  PPG).  Both near the bottom of the NCAA.

TCU was nearly last in the NCAA in passing yards giving up 435 yards a game.

I didn't realize it until @Mavric made a post, but TCU's defense last year was terrible. 

I don't know if I'm drinking koolaid or not, but I'm not sure that game yesterday really told us anything.  Maybe just not to look past Colorado.  I think we may have watched two really bad defenses play a video game yesterday.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

I hear Wisconsin is going to the air raid?  Probably a result of not being able to get over the jump so to speak and they see that as what is needed to get past OSU, Michigan, and Penn State. Have at it Badgers.  I’m pretty done with it. It’s not going to win in places like Wisconsin or Nebraska. They’ll still be good but years from now I predict they will long for a return to their roots.  We need to embrace our roots. We have had all these so called offensive coaches that have done poorly in the BIG. Pelini was a defensive guy and he did the best by far.  Rhule has got to find the right balance.  But it needs a lot of defensive and run game identity. Spread the defense out with crazy speed guys who can catch a streak to keep them honest.  

8 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Colorado's D gave up more points than anyone last year(44.5 PPG).  TCU wasn't very far behind (29  PPG).  Both near the bottom of the NCAA.

TCU was nearly last in the NCAA in passing yards giving up 435 yards a game.

I didn't realize it until @Mavric made a post, but TCU's defense last year was terrible. 

I don't know if I'm drinking koolaid or not, but I'm not sure that game yesterday really told us anything.  Maybe just not to look past Colorado.  I think we may have watched two really bad defenses play a video game yesterday.

TCU was 4 plays away from an 8-4 season last year and benefited greatly from Oklahoma being trash and Texas being meh. That tcu team got absolutely floored in the title game in historic fashion and lost a lot of guys.

Colorado will be tougher than I expected but I’m not going to sit here and pretend like they just knocked off a legit team and we have no shot.  

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

I hear Wisconsin is going to the air raid?  Probably a result of not being able to get over the jump so to speak and they see that as what is needed to get past OSU, Michigan, and Penn State. Have at it Badgers.  I’m pretty done with it. It’s not going to win in places like Wisconsin or Nebraska. They’ll still be good but years from now I predict they will long for a return to their roots.  We need to embrace our roots. We have had all these so called offensive coaches that have done poorly in the BIG. Pelini was a defensive guy and he did the best by far.  Rhule has got to find the right balance.  But it needs a lot of defensive and run game identity. Spread the defense out with crazy speed guys who can catch a streak to keep them honest.  

1. Pelini did not do so hot against the very offenses at Wisconsin you are clamoring for.  I have PTSD from Melvin Gordon tosses to this day.

2. No crazy speed guys want to play in a run heavy offense.

This is the twilight zone around here.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
21 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I’m sorry but becoming Wisconsin would be considered a massive win by the majority of fans here. Not sure what u mean by become Wisconsin when they’ve been superior to us for 15 years now

Iowa State and a long list of other schools have been superior to us too. And Wisconsin also realized they hit the ceiling of that identity 5 years ago. The sport has evolved and you either get with the times or get lost. Personally I want to compete at the top so there is nothing interesting about Wisconsin who has never been considered a top 4 team in the sport so I’ll pass. It’s too man resources available to not even make a bowl it’s getting disgusting at this point. 

• Haha 1

Just wanted to throw this out there, take it however you want.

15 years ago, I knew a handicapper that loved this type of game, and it always hit 4 out of 5 times.  Over the years it still somehow stayed the same.

Here's the rub:

When an underdog team wins an extremely emotional game (example: CU over ranked TCU), the following week, every bettor takes them to win again the same way.  But most of the time the team that is coming off an emotional win tends to come out playing flat and doesn't cover the spread.  

That's the one interesting thing that keeps me thinking we have a chance lol. 

Although I also think we have to win the turnover battle, get some timely sacks on their QB, frustrate them with several long drives and wear their defense out. They don't have depth on defense.  I also believe our defense is better than TCU's (tackling, physicality, and speed). 

Chew the clock, long drives, score TDs when inside the redzone, wear down the CU defense, get Coach Prime and QB Sanders frustrated.... and have Coach White put in a great scheme to slow down the CU offense and playmakers.  :)

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

4 minutes ago, runningblind said:

1. Pelini did not do so hot against the very offenses at Wisconsin you are clamoring for.  I have PTSD from Melvin Gordon tosses to this day.

2. No crazy speed guys want to play in a run heavy offense.

This is the twilight zone around here.

Pelini despite his faults did pretty well.  

We are not getting polished speed NFL receivers but yes I think Rhule can find some speedsters that want a shot and then it is on us to develop them. 

The thing I loathe is that we are getting these 3rd tier QBs and WRs and I’d focus on OL, DL, and RBs. Win the LOS, win the game.

Either this idea of hit them in the mouth with husker power will work or this fan base is gonna have to have a come to Jesus about the product that’s on the field. Tony white I’m optimistic about but how long do we keep him? Satt seems questionable. Rhule had a couple winning seasons in tough spots but also a whole bunch of losing seasons and a flameout in the NFL. And at the end of the day we are playing to same players that’s been apart of our recent struggles. 

23 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Pelini despite his faults did pretty well.  

We are not getting polished speed NFL receivers but yes I think Rhule can find some speedsters that want a shot and then it is on us to develop them. 

The thing I loathe is that we are getting these 3rd tier QBs and WRs and I’d focus on OL, DL, and RBs. Win the LOS, win the game.

Juat as long as you realize you are asking for us to become Iowa, and nothing more. If you're cool with that, great. I'm not.

• Plus1 2
29 minutes ago, admo said:

Just wanted to throw this out there, take it however you want.

15 years ago, I knew a handicapper that loved this type of game, and it always hit 4 out of 5 times.  Over the years it still somehow stayed the same.

Here's the rub:

When an underdog team wins an extremely emotional game (example: CU over ranked TCU), the following week, every bettor takes them to win again the same way.  But most of the time the team that is coming off an emotional win tends to come out playing flat and doesn't cover the spread.  

That's the one interesting thing that keeps me thinking we have a chance lol. 

Although I also think we have to win the turnover battle, get some timely sacks on their QB, frustrate them with several long drives and wear their defense out. They don't have depth on defense.  I also believe our defense is better than TCU's (tackling, physicality, and speed). 

Chew the clock, long drives, score TDs when inside the redzone, wear down the CU defense, get Coach Prime and QB Sanders frustrated.... and have Coach White put in a great scheme to slow down the CU offense and playmakers.  :)

I'd believe you, but you root for Nebraska.  What we do doesn't follow 1. Logic or 2. Historical precedence. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, runningblind said:

Juat as long as you realize you are asking for us to become Iowa, and nothing more. If you're cool with that, great. I'm not.

I’d like us to get to where Wisconsin and Iowa have been recently because it certainly was better than us.  Then from there see where we can eventually get to. We have been building this thing wrong focused on squeaking out a recruiting victory for the Wandales that don’t stick around. We need superior lines so we can consistently beat Minny, Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern for crying out loud.  Our division is one of weakest in CFB! Then we can try some shots at OSU, Michigan, etc.