NFL 2023

Mavric

8 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Is this true?

From glancing through his replies after the tweet, it's guys who finished their career at Bama (so if they transfer from Bama to somewhere else, it doesn't count). Plus, QBs throwing TD passes don't count because the stat book gives the points to the guy who actually crossed the goal line. Bart Starr was an example. Played at Bama, threw TD passes in the Super Bowel, but the stats go to the guys who caught them.

I don't remember if Jalen Hurts scored a rushing TD or not, but the Eagles list him as playing at OU not Bama since that was the last school attended. He also pointed out that you don't have to graduate from the school, it's just the last one you attended before the NFL (a lot of Bama fans were whining about their guys leaving early and thinking that's what was disqualifying them).

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, GSG said:

(a lot of Bama fans were whining about their guys leaving early and thinking that's what was disqualifying them)

Most Bama fans never went to college in the first place, so it makes sense that they would be sensitive about this.

33 minutes ago, GSG said:

...in the Super Bowel

97T.gif

• Haha 4
9 hours ago, GSG said:

From glancing through his replies after the tweet, it's guys who finished their career at Bama (so if they transfer from Bama to somewhere else, it doesn't count). Plus, QBs throwing TD passes don't count because the stat book gives the points to the guy who actually crossed the goal line. Bart Starr was an example. Played at Bama, threw TD passes in the Super Bowel, but the stats go to the guys who caught them.

I don't remember if Jalen Hurts scored a rushing TD or not, but the Eagles list him as playing at OU not Bama since that was the last school attended. He also pointed out that you don't have to graduate from the school, it's just the last one you attended before the NFL (a lot of Bama fans were whining about their guys leaving early and thinking that's what was disqualifying them).

He had 3 rushing TDs, but he doesn't count since he finished at Oklahoma. I just looked up the stats because I knew DeVonta Smith led them in receiving that game and thought he scored a TD, he did n'ot. Hurts had 3 rushing TDs and AJ Brown caught one.

On 1/28/2024 at 8:29 PM, admo said:

Dan Campbell a big part to blame for losing.  Had a couple field goal opportunities for the taking.  But he was too dumb to visualize ahead of the game that points can change the scoreboard, instead of going for 4th down over and over.   Campbell gave up 6 points (2 FGs).  That's on him. And his team would have the right to be pissed at him if he is the leader.  

But also, Some Lions players dropped passes.  Their brilliant OC was a dumbass and got away from the running game with a 3 score lead.  How brilliant and dumb can you be?

They also had some penalties.  They had plays that could have been made, but failed. 

And when trailing 24-7 with the 2nd half to play, it's pretty amazing the 49ers played so clean that they never got called for holding.  Never, not even once.  Even when Purdy was in the pocket, and moving slowly and scrambling for yards. 

No penalties for pick plays, or even defensive holding/PI. 

Super clean.  Like a super bowl invite.

The 49ers must have played the ultimate "no penalty on us" 2nd half game ever in a situation that decides who goes to the Super Bowl or not.  

Congrats 49ers

As for Dan Cambell, someone in Detroit needs to have the guts to punch him in the nuts, so hard that he pukes and recognizes a Field goal here, a field goal there, adds points to the scoreboard and helps your team more than going for it on 4th down in field goal territory over and over and over.  3 points is better than No points.  6 points from 2 field golas is also better than no points.  He better learn a lesson because you can't be the head of a Lion and just go for it and disregard the consequences.  And when you fail, don't give your team and fan base your excuse or your reason the following... "We are playing to win".   

You cannot lead the way with that point-blank stupidity.  And definitely not with this much talent on your team, that played so hard all year, and with so much riding on a game.

Go bite a kneecap and eat an apple under a tree this off season.  Find some shade.  Read a book.  Learn and grow from those stupid mistakes you made today in teh NFC championship game.  

As a Niners fan I wasn't excited when Campbell went for it on fourth down. I was terrified. The field goals weren't exactly gimmes and it's also a "send a message" moment from an offense that the Niners hadn't consistently stopped all day. There were too many easy plays to get three yards, and Detroit called good ones. The receiver drops the ball. Shouldn't happen, but that defines big moments, too, just as much as the play call. 

When you lose by three, you can't say a third quarter field goal would have made the difference. There's too much situational football in between, too many historic examples of teams who change their game plan to protect a lead and watch it backfire. Imagine if Dan Campbell had settled for field goals, missed one or both, or made both but couldn't stop the Niner onslaught (they did go up by 10, which is more than two field goals). We'd still be roasting Dan Campbell, but the headline would be Gamblin' Dan Loses His Nerve in the Biggest Game. 

The Lions played the same game that earned them the best season in 67 years. Hats off to Campbell, who still deserves Coach of the Year.  

Also as a Niners fan: the news coverage seemed to forget there was another team involved. It was all Campbell and finger-pointing, and not nearly as much about the epic comeback by the team going to the actual Super Bowl. 

Fun game though. For me. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
5 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

When you lose by three, you can't say a third quarter field goal would have made the difference. There's too much situational football in between, too many historic examples of teams who change their game plan to protect a lead and watch it backfire. Imagine if Dan Campbell had settled for field goals, missed one or both, or made both but couldn't stop the Niner onslaught (they did go up by 10, which is more than two field goals). We'd still be roasting Dan Campbell, but the headline would be Gamblin' Dan Loses His Nerve in the Biggest Game. 

Granted, 45+ yard field goals are never gimmies, the correct decision in the third quarter was to kick the field goal imo.   Being up by three scores midway through the third quarter is both a momentum stopper for the Niners and puts them in a different place mentally considering the lack of possessions left in the game.  

being down 2 possessions, you can still play your game, but down three possession outs much more urgency into each possession which causes more mistakes to happen and more pressure on each play.  

• Plus1 2

The closer we get to the game, the worse I feel about it. 

29 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

So Nebraska fans will be rooting for Randy Gregory and the San Francisco 49ers, right? 

Those without a vested rooting interest, sure. 

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

So Nebraska fans will be rooting for Randy Gregory and the San Francisco 49ers, right? 

I am literally 50/50 on this game. I hate that I don’t have a preference. I’ve liked the 49ers since the Montana/Craig/Rathman days. Randy Gregory has absolutely no bearing on my preference.  But I’m also a fan of Mahomes and Kelce. I don’t really care about Taylor Swift (although I am tired of that storyline creeping into every Chiefs game).

Who I cheer for will come down to who I bet on. Still undecided but leaning towards 49ers at this point.

When I was growing up in Lincoln in the 1960s and 70s, you were a Nebraska football fan first, and everything else was up for grabs. As kids we had no built-in NFL loyalty and gravitated to favorite players and bandwagon teams and sometimes just the uniform. I liked the Niners and Colts. My best friend was a huge Bears fan. Another good friend became a lifetime Oakland Raiders fan. My brother went all-in with the Packers. Other than the neighbor kid who moved up from Kansas City, I don't remember Nebraskans showing local affinity for the Chiefs at all, and only a little bit for the Royals who had their AAA team in Omaha.

But hanging out with Lincolnites recently, the Chiefs bloodline and merchandising appears to be almost as thick as the Huskers.