NFL 2023

Mavric

2 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Shanahan gifted KC by taking the ball in OT.  Mahomes said KC would have deferred but SF gave them the ball second. 

Then with a 4th and 4 you'd know whether you needed a TD or not. It was mentioned it would give the 49ers' defense a rest, but the last KC drive of regulation was not that many plays.

• TBH 1
15 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Shanahan gifted KC by taking the ball in OT.  Mahomes said KC would have deferred but SF gave them the ball second. 

I guess I don't think it was such a bad choice because of how the rules are set up.  Yes, it stinks to give the other team four downs.  But the only way the 49ers were coming out worse was if they scored a FG and KC got a TD.  Obviously that's what happened.  But every other scenario works out well to take the ball first. 

You score anything and get a stop, you win the game.

You score a FG, hold them to a FG, you get a chance to win the game.

You score a TD, they score a TD, you get a chance to win the game.

If you're offense can't score, you're screwed whether you had the ball first or not.

They had held KC to one TD all game.  They just screwed up when they got zero yards on two plays from the KC 9.

Ehhh, I don’t think Shanahan screwed the pooch that badly there at the end. Sure they should’ve elected defense first but I doubt it changed the outcome. Reverse the possessions and the 49ers would’ve had one more down to try for a TD instead of kicking the FG. The bigger problem imo was not getting that TD in the red zone. But I’m biased as I needed SF +3.5 so either way it ended perfectly for me.

44 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

The same thought entered my mind :lol:  The Broncos don’t like the Chiefs. At. All. But they were barely a speed bump in Elway’s day. It would’ve been better if Elway had a scowl on his face but he seemed glad to be there, hugging people and crap.