What do we do at the QB Position?

Landlord

What do we do at the QB Position?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Our staff is going to be faced with a tough crossroads this offseason, and I'm curious as to what we all think should or will happen at the quarterback spot going into next year's season.

I have no beef with Tommy and never have. The kid is a fierce competitor and has had some brilliant moments when our offense has gone into playground-ball mode. Unfortunately, a competitive drive is not enough to be a great player, especially at his position. It's sad to say that I don't think end of season Junior Tommy Armstrong Jr. is all that much better than beginning of season thrown into the fire Freshman Tommy Armstrong Jr.

I think the best thing for this football team long-term is to thank Tommy for his commitment and what he's accomplished, but go with someone else if there is even a 50% chance they can have a higher ceiling, even if that means taking some harder immediate lumps that we wouldn't have with our 4 year starter.

We'd be looking at anywhere from 3-6 more wins this season if we had a quarterback that wasn't even necessarily a greater player, but a more consistent one. This has been one of the consistent plagues of our program since 2009.

as fans there isn't a lot any of us is going to do but talk. or we could all go to I hop and eat waffles, both will get the same amount done in Nebraskas or any other teams issues.

I guess I'd be for Virginia's on Cornhusker or that Mexican omelet at Shoemaker's truck stop. The QB situation is as much a matter of camaraderie as anything, not sure what the result would be if you yanked Tommy out and started with a new guy....maybe better, maybe worse. Seems like the coaches are trying to keep a lopsided apple cart upright, walking on eggshells or whatever other analogy people like.

I think the coaches gave the other QBs a chance to demonstrate they were better than the experienced returning starter and apparently couldn't do it. Certainly the coaches knew where the losses were coming from and that the season was getting 'tough' and if there were any chance one of the other guys was better, I believe they would have been given the opportunity to try.

We have what appears to be the best QB recruit in years coming in to Lincoln a in about 4 weeks and will be working out in January. I'd be all for recruiting a good JUCO guy with one year left of playing time as we need a good back up (apparently we don't even have that at this point or we'd have seen him instead of Fyfe in Purdue debacle). I think we recruit another top HS QB in 2017 if we can get one. That will put us in much better shape. We can find a couple walk ons to be back ups and give us the emergency guy in event of injury rash. We need players all over the roster in each position so we can't afford to waste a dozen scholarships on QBs but we have got to have two 'winner' game manager / throwers with moderate mobility. They are not easy to find but Riley has enough reputation apparently with schools and former pros and etc that he is having success getting recruits to listen and visit. POB is one of the ten best QBs this year IMO and maybe one of the 5 best. He has the numbers and size and experience. Is he consistent? We will see. Can he be ready by fall? Maybe. He can surely back up Tommy and hopefully push him.

I think we need to recruit RBs and take hard looks at moving some of our current guys to LB etc. In my view, we have not played a quality, "husker caliber" running back this year. By comparison, to the gold standard of say late 1990s, there is not one RB on the team that would be a walk on I Back for Osborne. Not one. None are fast enough. In the '95 team, the 5th string I Back was Jay Simms who ran sub 4.4 and Lawrence Phillips was the slowest of the group at 4.47 with plenty of take it all the way speed and power and elusiveness combined. Something happened to Nebraska running back talent around the turn of the century because Omaha North used to supply Nebraska with an excellent RB every year. That has not happened in a decade that I recall. Not sure why but it is true. In fact, lately, out state ball carriers have been the better of the Nebraska kids and are not getting much respect of course (Danny Woodhead is passed over by Frank Solich so that he could recruit Cory Ross).

Tommy is defacto starter until it is taken away. Make that a possibiliry and I bet Tommy magically gets better.

Competition breeds success and he had none this year. Darlington isn't a realistic option, Fyfe has a ceiling that was met two years ago, Bush is Tommy 2.0 and Stanton transferred. The fact the QB position hurt us so many times shouldn't be a surprise.

Hybrid of the 3 and 4: Recruit a Juco, but they are not promised a starting job. I think it has been an open competition since the Spring and Tommy won. If there is any truth to that tweet stating he walked out on practice, it's clear we don't have anyone pushing him. Stanton left because after the Spring he was 5th String, so I don't think just opening it up will cure our issue.

Hybrid of the 3 and 4: Recruit a Juco, but they are not promised a starting job. I think it has been an open competition since the Spring and Tommy won. If there is any truth to that tweet stating he walked out on practice, it's clear we don't have anyone pushing him. Stanton left because after the Spring he was 5th String, so I don't think just opening it up will cure our issue.

I've heard this a bit, but I haven't seen what it's referencing. Someone have a link or a screencap of alleged tweet?