Nebraska Now Full Member of B1G Financially - $51.1M This Year

Looking at an article from PAC-12 territory from a few months ago:

Fiscal year 2017-18 school distributions …

Big Ten: $45 million (estimate)
SEC: $43 million (estimate)
Pac-12: $31 million (estimate)

A single-year deficit of $10M per school for the Pac-12 won’t have a measurable impact on its on-field/on-court performance over the long haul. But this isn’t a single-year deficit, and the deficit could very well be larger than $10M per school. The Pac-12’s Tier 1 deal runs through 2023-24. Until then … until it can renegotiate … it’s essentially locked in place. There is no expectation of a major new revenue stream. In other words, each Pac-12 school could be $12M – $15M behind its SEC/Big Ten peers every year for the next seven years. THAT’S serious money — more than enough to create a competitive disadvantage. (The ACC and Big 12 will be in similar predicaments.)

Hate to break it to you guys, but it looks like it's gonna be more like a $20 million deficit. :cowbell:

• Fire 3

It's been too long in coming as we brought a national television appeal unlike most programs, including a majority of the then existing Big Ten schools. We may not be the top box office draw we were a couple decades ago but we're still in the top twenty surely.

The interesting question is how much more the Big Ten got from us than we got from them? Hopefully, over the next decade, the tide turns toward NU and we really do benefit. The change in conferences was a net benefit to Nebraska as compared to the Big 12 and perhaps any other options (if any) that may have been had otherwise. But we have been given a rough iniation and a guantlet of disadvantageous scheduling as part of our 'entry fee' and dues to join. Overall, I am glad we made the change but that opinion could change if we don't see our 'full membership' standing begin to rebalance the scales going forward so that after another 5 years we should have an honest equality in terms of home vs away matchups with all conference schools. And, hopefully the television coverage will be fair and balanced as well. We likely deserve some extra helpings for a while to make up for the short stick we have had in some ways.

It's been too long in coming as we brought a national television appeal unlike most programs, including a majority of the then existing Big Ten schools. We may not be the top box office draw we were a couple decades ago but we're still in the top twenty surely.

The interesting question is how much more the Big Ten got from us than we got from them? Hopefully, over the next decade, the tide turns toward NU and we really do benefit. The change in conferences was a net benefit to Nebraska as compared to the Big 12 and perhaps any other options (if any) that may have been had otherwise. But we have been given a rough iniation and a guantlet of disadvantageous scheduling as part of our 'entry fee' and dues to join. Overall, I am glad we made the change but that opinion could change if we don't see our 'full membership' standing begin to rebalance the scales going forward so that after another 5 years we should have an honest equality in terms of home vs away matchups with all conference schools. And, hopefully the television coverage will be fair and balanced as well. We likely deserve some extra helpings for a while to make up for the short stick we have had in some ways.

Maybe I'm not looking at this from the same perspective as you are but I'm not seeing how we haven't been treated fairly with our initiation and scheduling compared to any of the other schools. Yeah, not getting full funding until now kind of sucked but we knew that coming in and agreed to it as we eased into the Big 10. Our television coverage has been decent, not great, but that's also because other schools have played better than us and you put better teams on better coverage.

• Fire 2

What other 9-4 football team got more coverage than you did in 2016? I doubt any other 6-7 football team got more coverage than the Huskers in 2015.

As for the scheduling, if you want to act like a premiere football school, then don't cry when you are scheduled against Ohio State and Michigan.

• Fire 6

What other 9-4 football team got more coverage than you did in 2016? I doubt any other 6-7 football team got more coverage than the Huskers in 2015.

As for the scheduling, if you want to act like a premiere football school, then don't cry when you are scheduled against Ohio State and Michigan.

oh that's just 84, he didn't mean it
  • Fire 5

"And, hopefully the television coverage will be fair and balanced as well."

"But we have been given a rough iniation and a guantlet of disadvantageous scheduling as part of our 'entry fee' and dues to join."

I think coverage has been awesome for the games? I haven't had a pay per view since they joined the B1G and every game has been televised. As far as scheduling, I feel we have had home and home series fairly and honestly a couple years of pretty easy schedule the last two. I can't, in any way, see how we haven't been treated fairly. Championships and money are there for the taking- we just have to perform in games.

• Fire 1