Shatel: Bob Diaco's refusal for postgame interview unacceptable

Saunders

2 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Well, I've seen nothing from Riley. As of now I'm quite worried about Diaco. (But not about El Diaco; I hear that guy's aces :D)

Maybe I'm not being totally far on The Bob, but it sure seemed like he came out swinging on this one. That's...well, I dunno. It's at least shades of Bo. Had this happened under Pelini it would have been (fairly) one of the top examples of the toxic atmosphere. It's a long season, though. Let's see what happens. I hope Bob keeps it together.

Dont really agree. I didn't see anything wrong with how he handled it. Answered every question respectfully and even went out of his way to say that he didn't blame the media for their perspective. The rest was typical coach speak and while we can make our own assumptions about the game and what we saw, his answers were pretty much the only way he could answer besides just flat out saying nothing, which he couldn't do after all of this backlash on him.

5 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Well, I've seen nothing from Riley. As of now I'm quite worried about Diaco. (But not about El Diaco; I hear that guy's aces :D)

Maybe I'm not being totally far on The Bob, but it sure seemed like he came out swinging on this one. That's...well, I dunno. It's at least shades of Bo. Had this happened under Pelini it would have been (fairly) one of the top examples of the toxic atmosphere. It's a long season, though. Let's see what happens. I hope Bob keeps it together.

One thing to add that I agree with you about: I don't understand the whole "fans pay cash" angle that always seems to come into play here. It's weird. Fandom is weird. "It's an emotional/financial investment", what a strange argument. I mean, I guess it is. But why?

IDK, I'll give him quite a bit more leeway before thinking things are headed down Pelini Way. And I fully understand coming out swinging. You've read some of these pages and you're aware what the Nebraska media was saying. It may hint at a Bo response but it took a whole bunch of that type of thing to develope into the Bo MO. My gut tells me everyone is on the same page now and this was simply a miscommunication blip.

38 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Diaco not answering questions after a truly BAFFLING season-opening performance from his unit was puzzling. There's nothing unfair about that. It could easily, easily have been mea culpa'd away. Instead he went to the podium, called the whole thing ridiculous, and threw his head coach under the bus in the process. He even went as far as pointing out he got stuck in a freight elevator. Look, there was an easy response to this and it's an "our bad". I'm frankly surprised it didn't come from Riley himself.

If this is how he's responding now, I shudder to think how ugly it's going to get when they start losing games, and they will. "Us Against The World" develops when small moments and honest questions are interpreted as crucifixion. Accountability goes by the wayside when your team leaders can't say "Oops, my bad" in the easiest opportunity you will ever have to do so.

Just look through this thread. In order to stick up for Diaco in this episode it's almost necessary to adopt a "Media are the devil" posture. Yeah, sure, the media and the coaches have different goals and this has always been the case. But we've seen this story before from an NU coaching staff. It doesn't end pretty.

The current staff at NU has banked quite a bit of goodwill. Diaco is burning through that capital. It's confusing more than anything.

Ya weird how that draws very similar theories from someone else in the public eye.

Even if Diaco does the post game interview one of two things happens.

A. Bob takes full blame, says he's a terrible coach and came up with a pi$$ poor game plan. Shatel calls it unacceptable for a coach getting paid $825,000 a year.

B. Bob gives answers full of coach talk that may, or may not match what was seen on the field. Shatel calls it unacceptable for a coach getting paid $825,000 a year.

Throw me in the group that thinks this is a mountain of a mole hill. Not only that, it sure feel likes the media with an ego problem. Just calling a spade a spade.

• Plus1 7

13 minutes ago, clyde40 said:

Even if Diaco does the post game interview one of two things happens.

A. Bob takes full blame, says he's a terrible coach and came up with a pi$$ poor game plan. Shatel calls it unacceptable for a coach getting paid $825,000 a year.

B. Bob gives answers full of coach talk that may, or may not match what was seen on the field. Shatel calls it unacceptable for a coach getting paid $825,000 a year.

Throw me in the group that thinks this is a mountain of a mole hill. Not only that, it sure feel likes the media with an ego problem. Just calling a spade a spade.

Wait so it wasn't ok for one coach to not want to talk to the media because he thought they were jerks.  And this made the fans mad and it was bad for the program.

But this guy skips the media, gets mad and gets worked up towards them.  It's the media being jerks. Lol hilarious double standard and hyperbole from people here.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

Wait so it wasn't ok for one coach to not want to talk to the media because he thought they were jerks.  And this made the fans mad and it was bad for the program.

But this guy skips the media, gets mad and gets worked up towards them.  It's the media being jerks. Lol hilarious double standard and hyperbole from people here.

I was never much for bashing Bo and I believe neither him or the media helped that whole situation so no don't clump me into the double standard column. I simply called it the way that I see it.

23 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

If you are talking about Bo then there is a different standard, he was the HC not a coordinator. You have to talk to the media as a HC.

Some places do use the one voice rule after games, even more than games, nearly all the time. Saban prefers this method for example.

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

Really not, truly the people that say they dont care are fooling themselves.  We all want to know wtf is going on, our fan base is too smart not to.

Or there are also people who don't care, like me, because we know that we still wouldn't know what is going on after listening to 5 minutes of coach speak answers.

You called the guy a coward. Not only has Riley chalked it up to an honest miscommunicaton, but plenty of people, including a Notre Dame fan with firsthand experience, have explained that this has just been what he does as a DC, and is not related to a specifically bad performance last Saturday. I called you out because your accusation was inappropriate, and, it seems, flat out wrong.

And speaking of fooling one's self, as has already been pointed out, Arkansas State is not an FCS team.

As a former member of the media, I think this is no big deal. Sure, it gives the writers and sports directors fewer quotes to work with on Sunday. There's plenty of stuff from Riley and others to sift through. Do your jobs and use what you have.

Honestly, this is the OWH, et al being petty crybabies.

"He doesn't give us quotes? We'll show him!"

• Plus1 6

The only thing stuck in a freight elevator seems to be the Huskers...for about the past 20 years.

Also, if you think that Bob didn't know the media wanted to talk to him you are crazy.  You know why he waited an hour in the box?  Take a guess.  

Zoogs was right, this very much (to me) seemed like a Bo type of thing.

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Not the point at all.  Point is...he's showing them accountability.  

But please spin it again to a negative.

Maybe you could follow me around the board and keep me apprised of "what the point is" for everything since you seem to think you have all the correct answers and that there can only be one "point" per subject.

I'm pretty sure I understand that he was showing accountability. Amazingly, I had that figured out before you chimed in.

58 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

Maybe you could follow me around the board and keep me apprised of "what the point is" for everything since you seem to think you have all the correct answers and that there can only be one "point" per subject.

I'm pretty sure I understand that he was showing accountability. Amazingly, I had that figured out before you chimed in.

Looks like you got a stalker!   Ha!