Shatel: Bob Diaco's refusal for postgame interview unacceptable

Saunders

1 minute ago, BlitzFirst said:

Odd.  Your reply said nothing of the sort.  You might try conveying that in your comment... Helps people to know whether you got the point or not.

I wonder if you got the point I was trying to make, about how some fans will be happy he did up downs to pay for his transgressions against them. This whole issue is just about people (fans and media) wanting to extract their pound of flesh for a subpar defensive performance. It's why so many are up in arms that Bobby missed the walk of shame immediately following the game.

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, zoogs said:

Well, I've seen nothing from Riley. As of now I'm quite worried about Diaco. (But not about El Diaco; I hear that guy's aces :D)

Maybe I'm not being totally far on The Bob, but it sure seemed like he came out swinging on this one. That's...well, I dunno. It's at least shades of Bo. Had this happened under Pelini it would have been (fairly) one of the top examples of the toxic atmosphere. It's a long season, though. Let's see what happens. I hope Bob keeps it together.

One thing to add that I agree with you about: I don't understand the whole "fans pay cash" angle that always seems to come into play here. It's weird. Fandom is weird. "It's an emotional/financial investment", what a strange argument. I mean, I guess it is. But why?

This isn't really directed at you, zoogs, but your post is a good jumping off point for some of my thoughts. :lol:

First, my impression of Diaco's reaction is that things got incredibly personal. People called him a coward and gutless after one game and, to me, that's entirely unacceptable. It doesn't matter how much money he's making because he doesn't deserve that kind of treatment. I find it deplorable that we have fans and media members using this kind of language. I think Benning put it pretty well on his show this morning - the reaction from fans and some media members causes divisiveness in the fan base and breeds contempt between fans and the media. It causes many people to pick a side and it's just not right.

Second, the fan angle has always held some weight with me. It doesn't mean everything, but tickets are expensive, traveling to Lincoln is expensive and eating/drinking while there is expensive. It's a significant monetary investment being a fan. It's also a huge reason most of these guys have jobs and are afforded their salary. Wanting to hear from "the" defensive guy is a reasonable request because we, as fans, have had that opportunity with past DC's. Now, that doesn't mean this how things always have to be done. Diaco also said some things Monday that I thought were more than just coach speak.

tl;dr I won't begrudge people that want to hear from Diaco after something like that. I don't usually look at interviews, but I know a lot of people do. I just think there's a modicum of respect owed to all parties and it seemed to be missing this weekend in a variety of ways.

• Plus1 2

I really thought Diaco  explained the game performance well in his Monday presser. That's the thing I don't get. Yes everyone wants to hear what he has to say right after the game, but he could probably give you better answers about it in his weekly presser for the next game. It's not like Bob has gone AWOL, the media can still reach him 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The thing that bothered me the most was that Husker defenders went out and talked to the press, but the Defensive Coordinator didn't.

If you're going to send your players out there to answer questions about that game, you had damned sure better be willing to answer questions yourself.

I guess according to Bob he didn't send them out there...because he was stuck in the freight elevatory with some of the high school kids that deliver the pizza and Runza.

So, I've been in the same position as you all, and early on in Diaco's tenure I had a lot of the same thoughts as you all. I appreciated Bob's energy and funny soundbites. The first time an issue with the press came up, I figured it was just the CT news guys being curmudgeons. I sort of ignored the idiocy or childlike behavior until it was evident that our team was awful and BD was unwilling to adapt or change from his narrow vision in any way, shape or form. This week you saw a typical Bob Diaco defensive gameplan--it's not gonna change. He will consistently play DBs 10 yards off the line of scrimmage, regardless of opponent. He will never bring pressure. You will stay in base defense. His one strength will be a strong rush defense, as someone alluded to earlier in this thread. When he fails, he'll be incredibly defensive and come up with every excuse in the book, and will even somehow believe that his unit was successful. I predict that this is just the first instance in a long line of disappointments and bizarre happenings. I say none of this to incite you guys, but just to sort of come to you as a fellow football fan and let you know how incredibly frustrating the guy is, and really how unstable of a guy he is. I've never seen anything like it, and I've sat through plenty of bad football. If you all are smart, you won't give him the benefit of the doubt for long. Hope he leaves sooner rather than later. When I saw what you guys paid him, I really couldn't believe it. 

In any case, good luck this season. I hope that you guys can win in spite of Diaco. If you guys have any questions about what to expect moving forward or more about what we saw at UConn, feel free to ask. And if you think I'm just a pissed off fan who dislikes his former coach, that's cool too--you'll see in time!

• Plus1 3
5 hours ago, broganreynik said:

As a former member of the media, I think this is no big deal. Sure, it gives the writers and sports directors fewer quotes to work with on Sunday. There's plenty of stuff from Riley and others to sift through. Do your jobs and use what you have.

Honestly, this is the OWH, et al being petty crybabies.

"He doesn't give us quotes? We'll show him!"

Thank you for posting. This is a very refreshing response and interesting to read  in that you were 'in the business'. I felt that the media's response was 'over the top' as well. However, I did wonder why Coach Diaco didn't give a post game interview as he had freely given press interviews prior to the game? Then again I've read in several places, especially from Nore Dame fans, that he just doesn't give post game pressers.  Then I read his explanation of why he didn't give one and thought, 'Ok, that's his prerogative,' Then I wondered if Coach Riley told the press at the the post game pressed that he (Riley) was not requiring Coach Diaco to do post game interviews. Maybe if Coach Rikey had made that clear there wouldn't be this issue?  I don't know.   We have a new coach, new system, young players playing in new positions. Do they deserve a break? I think so.  Say what you want about Arky St. but those boys were ready to play. We've all said this so many times: We cannot discount any team we play against. Good grief! Look around!  Texas A & M let UCLA come back and beat them after they had that incredible lead! Anyway, I say let's move forward. Coach Diaco is going to whether we follow him or not.

33 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The thing that bothered me the most was that Husker defenders went out and talked to the press, but the Defensive Coordinator didn't.

If you're going to send your players out there to answer questions about that game, you had damned sure better be willing to answer questions yourself.

It's actually up to the players if they want to talk. As they come out of the locker room an SID or assistant will ask them and then they'll come out into the lounge and answer questions.

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, broganreynik said:

As a former member of the media, I think this is no big deal. Sure, it gives the writers and sports directors fewer quotes to work with on Sunday. There's plenty of stuff from Riley and others to sift through. Do your jobs and use what you have.

Honestly, this is the OWH, et al being petty crybabies.

"He doesn't give us quotes? We'll show him!"

I think that's a fairly broad brush to paint. There were certain people inside some of the media outlets that went a little far, but I also saw several writers address the situation in rational, professional ways.

I think it's OK for the media as a whole to broach this topic because it was one being discussed by fans almost immediately. I draw the line at turning it into something petty. There's a right and wrong way to approach it.

2 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think that's a fairly broad brush to paint. There were certain people inside some of the media outlets that went a little far, but I also saw several writers address the situation in rational, professional ways.

I think it's OK for the media as a whole to broach this topic because it was one being discussed by fans almost immediately. I draw the line at turning it into something petty. There's a right and wrong way to approach it.

Given the history of the OWH, I stand by my statement of petty.

• Plus1 1
52 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I haven't read a lot of the reactions, because I won't give the OWH my time or my clicks, but who called him a gutless coward? 

I haven't seen that from a media member yet but I did see it on social.

For example, what the hell is this?

• Plus1 1