The Unfathomable

Several years back, Bo's team was stinking up the place, and they came to the "win out" spot of the season.  As unlikely as it seemed, they won five or six in a row I think.  

What would happen, both in reality and in Huskerboard-dom, if the game against NIU was a bit flukish, especially on offense.  Say the D continues to improve significantly and the O recovers from the train wreck that was yesterday.  Those things happen, and we wind up 8 - 4.  What if, for the rest of the season, we are that mediocre team that gets the breaks on "any given Saturday"? Where does that leave public opinion on the notion of who should stay or go, and when those things should happen.

Edit:  I have stopped drinking koolaid, and think the odds of this happening are minimal, but it does make for a good question.

Edited by grandpasknee
  • Plus1 2

Don't think NIU was a fluke because Arkansas State almost happened.

But if we end it 8-4 I still think we move on. It isn't going to get any better, we aren't winning divisional championships with this staff. Even if we end 8-4 Arkansas State almost happened, Oregon happened, NIU happened, and I am sure Ohio State will happen again, and probably another loss to Wisconsin.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Don't think NIU was a fluke because Arkansas State almost happened.

But if we end it 8-4 I still think we move on. It isn't going to get any better, we aren't winning divisional championships with this staff. Even if we end 8-4 Arkansas State almost happened, Oregon happened, NIU happened, and I am sure Ohio State will happen again, and probably another loss to Wisconsin.

This.

We need to move on, period.

Rikey is not, and never will be the answer.

How quickly the NU power brokers see this truth, and more importantly, accept it, is the key. 

• Plus1 4

Even if this team were closer to its potential, this was expected to be a challenging schedule.

My opinion hasn't changed since the opener, but as I said then, I didn't think the offense was as good as claimed in that game, nor the defense as bad as claimed. So, yesterday doesn't really sway my opinion much, nor have really the past 29 games. 

Riley is retiring at the end of the year if they hit 8 wins or less, maybe even 9.  He came here to win it all, to take one last shot.  Not to rebuild and be called out all the time.  He took his shot he did the best he could.  His wife wants to go back home and this is the last season for him if they basically don't win the west.

• Plus1 4
5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Riley is retiring at the end of the year if they hit 8 wins or less, maybe even 9.  He came here to win it all, to take one last shot.  Not to rebuild and be called out all the time.  He took his shot he did the best he could.  His wife wants to go back home and this is the last season for him if they basically don't win the west.

You seem pretty convinced 

5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

his wife is here? do we know that? she seems like she could give two poops about where MR is and would probably like it if MR stayed here longer- JMHO

It's not this specific loss for me.  It's another episode in the previous 2 years that shows an inability to even grasp the basic fundamentals of the game.  The time management, play calling, roster mismanagement, lack of player development etc.....The win loss record doesn't take into account the ineptitude this staff shows on a weekly basis.  For full disclosure, I primarily mean Riley, Cav and Langs.  Booker, Williams and Diaco got dragged into a mess.  Maybe, hopefully the D continues to improve, but the driver of the bus is asleep at the wheel.  Not impressed in 2015 and less now.  Even if we go 8-4...... 

• Plus1 3

The NIU offense wasn't good.  The fact that they only scored 7 is meaningless.  This team is in big big trouble.

They've been exploited by 2 offenses, and held in check by 3 average/slightly above average defenses.  There's blood in the water and the only one's that think we are relevant anymore is a few us.  I think this year we take the bottom from the Purdue's, Indiana's, Rutger's of the conference.  This team desperately, just like 3 years ago, needs leadership, but it's not going to happen.

The only game on this schedule I feel good about is Illinois.  Purdue is going to crush this team and Rutgers is playing hard.    Our kids can't overcome the leadership gap and poor coaching.  This is gonna get ugly.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I am...this is not inside info it is just what makes sense.  5 wins, 6 wins...Dee is going to get involved.  He was all but going to retire at OSU by now until SE tossed him the life line.

Oh I figured as much. You don't have inside info. 

Pretty cool you feel comfortable enough with using his wife's first name too.