will riley be fired before wisky game if he drops 1 to Rut or illinois?

huskerfan69

11 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

Here's a question I don't know the answer to.  Why do schools fire coaches before the end of the season?  Seems like it is becoming more common but I don't see the advantage for the school.  Do they believe the team would do better without the HC while putting an assistant as interim HC?  Is this a way to advertise early that they are looking for a new coach?

In our situation, it would allow the new AD to hit the ground running with a coaching search.  If he comes in and Riley is already gone, he doesn't have the mess to clean up before he starts the search.

1 hour ago, brophog said:

The problem with football stats is we don't quantify much, at least in terms of public data, and a lot of what we do quantify isn't done accurately (tackles most famously). Most people would agree that offensive line play is very important, yet it isn't directly measured in the box score. A lot of advanced metric sites get around this by inventing new stats, but that requires watching a lot of tape. So, the only way we can is by watching, too, hence my comment. (Though, even in a perfect environment, I'm a fan of combining analytics with traditional scouting, they really serve two purposes.)

When you watch Rutgers, you immediately see why looking at their stats gives a false impression. They just aren't very talented at all. That's hard to tell in the box score playing Eastern Michigan and Morgan State. Even against Washington, I'd say that result is more in Washington's favor if played in week 3 vs week 1. They just took a bit to get going in that game.

That's fair.  I'm just not interested enough in Rutgers to watch them.  There's also the matter of any game only showing how one team measures up to another.  I know some of the folks posting here enjoy the blood in the water after yesterday but I hope it's not fair to judge our kids based on that Northern Illinois game alone.

12 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

No, we need an new AD first!

I thought in the news conference yesterday, they mentioned that the interim AD will have the right to fire (with oversight).   I think if he loses to Rutgers that it is time to hang it up.  Appoint a temp coach and start the search in earnest.  I would think there would be a lot of background work under the supervision of the Chancellor  that can be done before the new AD arrives

They will beat Rutgers, lose to Illinois, but it won't matter.  They are already looking now and might wait to "announce" letting him go after being blown out by OSU or Whiskey. Come back from the bye with an interim. I think they will wish to get a head start on the other big programs that will be HC shopping at the end of the year - LSU, Tenn, UCLA, etc.  

6 hours ago, BartonHusker said:

If we lose to Rutgers, he will be 100% fired sooner than later.  Rutgers is VERY BAD and that may be being kind.   You don't keep your job losing to programs like Rutgers.  If we can't beat Rutgers, we can't beat anyone left on our schedule. 

You don't understand sports 

If he loses to Rutgers it could very well be a possibility, if he beats Rutgers and loses to Illinois (Which I see happening) I don't think so, but we will all know by then he is gone after the Iowa game.

At the least, or most, however you look at it, I would say lose 1 of the next 2 or both and we will know Riley isn't coming back next year.