Las Vegas mass shooting

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Here are the first-world nations which are basically America's peers.  The citizenry of these nations are not armed.  Which of these are being brutalized by their government?

Belgium
Canada
Denmark
France
Germany
Greece
Iceland
Italy
Luxembourg
Netherlands
Norway
Portugal
Spain
Turkey
United Kingdom

Well...France eats snails, does that count?

1 hour ago, schriznoeder said:

John Thune’s suggestion for minimizing the number of lives lost in mass shootings: Try to make the killers miss. SMH...

Today we've quoted Inholf (my Senator), Delay, and now Thune (from my former birth state) and they all display lazy thinking.  Again if the NRA pays your bills, you have to speak non-sense to overcome the obvious to side with the unfathomable. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, dudeguyy said:

So the GOP advice on gun safety (get small) is about as effective as their advice on birth control (abstinence).

What a collection of intellectuals we're blessed with.

This reminds me of the nuclear bomb drills we used to do when in grade school in the 70s cold war.  They would tell us to get under our desks.

WTF???  Like this flimsy little desk is going to save me from a nuclear bomb?  I had that part figured out in second grade.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

This reminds me of the nuclear bomb drills we used to do when in grade school in the 70s cold war.  They would tell us to get under our desks.

WTF???  Like this flimsy little desk is going to save me from a nuclear bomb?  I had that part figured out in second grade.

Ha!  That is so funny!

Good Read with which I agree with.  It's not as easy as just de-arm the citizens imo. And what do we become as a country if we just start taking away our freedoms and constitutional rights? We become every other country. Now, the arsenal of guns people are allowed to amass is ridiculous. But honestly, with 2-3 guns and enough full clips this lunatic could have caused quite a bit of damage, not as much as we are seeing, but still quite a bit. Yes, there needs to be some gun control and better tracking of people and gun buying habits and abilities of stocking large arsenals, but I don't believe de-arming is the answer.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/opinions/i-used-to-think-gun-control-was-the-answer-my-research-told-me-otherwise/2017/10/03/d33edca6-a851-11e7-92d1-58c702d2d975_story.html

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The assistant principal and a social studies teacher at my son's school was at the concert on Sunday night.  The AP got hit with some shrapnel in his back, but his injuries aren't expected to be serious.  It hasn't been reported, but I have heard the AP held a woman in his arms as she died.  I couldn't fathom experiencing that.

I saw an interview with a woman who had a similar experience. She said there was a man next to her dying who grabbed her hand and squeezed it for a short time. And then, slowly, the grip loosened until his fingers went limp.

I don't know how I would handle that.

9 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I saw an interview with a woman who had a similar experience. She said there was a man next to her dying who grabbed her hand and squeezed it for a short time. And then, slowly, the grip loosened until his fingers went limp.

I don't know how I would handle that.

I saw that same interview.  Extremely sad to watch.

15 minutes ago, C N Red said:

And what do we become as a country if we just start taking away our freedoms and constitutional rights? We become every other country

Every other first-world country has as many or more freedoms as America, yet they don't have remotely the same numbers of homicides. We will not diminish in greatness because we have fewer guns.  Americans do not need guns to be great.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Here are the first-world nations which are basically America's peers.  The citizenry of these nations are not armed.  Which of these are being brutalized by their government?

Belgium
Canada
Denmark
France
Germany
Greece
Iceland
Italy
Luxembourg
Netherlands
Norway
Portugal
Spain
Turkey
United Kingdom

Some of those countries actually have a relatively high number of guns per capita (especially Scandinavia), but still maintain manage to maintain a relatively low gun homicide rate. For example, Norway is 10th in the world in gun ownership at 31.6 per 100 people. But they're 64th in gun-related homicides at 0.10 per 100. The US on the other hand is 1st in the world in gun ownership at 112 per 100 people. Surprisingly, we're "only" 18th in gun-related homicides at 3.6 per 100,000 people. Countries like Honduras, Venezuela, South Africa, and Brazil rank above us.

• Plus1 1

"Relatively high number of guns per capita" is still not remotely close to America's guns per capita, we can agree, right?

Honduras, Venezuela, South Africa, and Brazil are not first-world countries and are therefore not great comparators (at least, not for the pro-gun crowd).

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

"Relatively high number of guns per capita" is still not remotely close to America's guns per capita, we can agree, right?

Honduras, Venezuela, South Africa, and Brazil are not first-world countries and are therefore not great comparators (at least, not for the pro-gun crowd).

I totally agree about the "guns per capita" comment - I was just a little shocked that countries like Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, and Germany had as many guns as they did. But yet, for the most part, their citizens don't go around shooting each other.

And I realize that Honduras, Venezuela, South Africa, and Brazil are poor comparisons - I was just making the point that (surprisingly) the US wasn't first in gun homicides per capita, despite having the most guns per capita by a large margin.