NU staff trying to find a way to get TE's involved

13 hours ago, Mavric said:

Kind of along those lines but I think it's pretty obvious that Riley hasn't really put much effort into really evaluating his assistant coach hires for some time.  Sure seems like he got comfortable at OSU and was content - for whatever reason - to just kind of roll with what was going on.  Keep the band together and roll down the road.  Probably why they had been in steady decline for several years before they got here.

Otherwise I don't know how you can possibly begin to explain his coordinator hires when he got here.  Banker had been with him forever.  Yet he apparently struggled mightily to even draw up how his defense would even line up against a given formation, let alone a scheme to stop the plays it might run.  Yet given the chance to go in a new direction, he chose the comfortable route.  I'm really not sure that he would have fired Banker had Eichorst not brought in Devaney to be in his ear.

With Langsdorf, he'd also been Riley's OC for several years.  He only had play-calling duties for a short time then Riley took them back.  I can't think of any other explanation for doing that other than you don't think he was doing a good job at it.  Yet, despite not having any other play-calling experience, Riley hired him back and handed him the reigns.  And the results have been poor.  Probably similar to the last time he tried that but here were are again anyway.

And that's before you even mention having a "full-time" assistant who was not only terrible at his job but only asked to stay for the first half-hour or so of practice.  Apparently he wasn't even worthy of trying to help with any other aspect of the program.  Just walked out and left everyone else to do their jobs.

I have not idea why anyone would expect that type of management style to be effective.

I hate to say it because Riley is such a nice guy, but I think he's dumber than a box of rocks.  

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Isle of View said:

I hate to say it because Riley is such a nice guy, but I think he's dumber than a box of rocks.  

I had the same thought but at this point it seemed in bad taste to bring it up. I don't know about a box of rocks but he is not at Herman-esque Mensa level.

On 10/24/2017 at 1:39 PM, 4skers89 said:

An accurate analogy I've actually fallen into watching our games. Incomplete pass? Hopefully we pass again to get a first down! You quickly learn that it's not a winning strategy and I wasn't advocating going full YOLO. Although I was typing and thinking about it as an alternative to whatever we are currently doing but didn't do the math. Maybe it's time. Assuming 13 possessions/gm gives 40 YOLO downs. If we complete 10% YOLOs for touchdowns we score 28 points. I think we have something! 

I hope Langsdorf is not reading this.

This is a very entertaining discussion.   Yes, if you throw enough times deep, you will either complete one or get it intercepted which is often a punt although this year our offensive 'tackling' skills are not good so opponents tend to return them for six.  

My gut reaction to them saying they want to ge the TEs more involved is to actually USE the TE and if you don't intend to throw it to him, then put another tackle or guard out there to block better.  

We have seen them use Cethan Carter effectively.  I keep going back to the UCLA game and wonder just who put that game plan together and why?   It's an anomaly and we've really not seen another one like it since.  The best game plan and execution of all of Riley's tenure.   Why?   Who knows.   Play calling pretty good but not perfect.  Good enough to win 9 games a year surely .    People use the term "identity' I guess to describe what one might want to call the 'bread and butter' plays or the meat of the offense scheme wise.   

I don't feel we've had an identity since the Callahan era.  The 'west coast offense' although I never quite felt it was the west coast offense which was exemplified by the SF 49rs with Montana, Rice, Taylor, Rathman, Craig.  They ran the ball more than Callahan seemed to.   That offense was exciting, impossible to stop, fun to watch and highlighted all the offensive weapons, including a great TE too.  Montana didn't have the strongest arm but he was accurate and smart and managed well.  He let his weapons work.  

This would be a fine identity.  Or we could run the wishbone and win 11 GAMES A YEAR EASILY.  May have trouble in the bowl games and fumbles will kill you about once a year but you win a lot.