seaofred92

RUMOR: Decision on Mike Riley Already Made, Will Be Let Go

Danimal    253
4 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Except Mack won a National Championship at Texas.... Riley can't even win a rivalry game.

I'm not remotely comparing Riley to Brown as a coach, just saying since they like Riley personally and he's good with recruits maybe they try to ease the transition rather than just telling him to hit the bricks. 

C N Red    1,365
5 minutes ago, JimmyBuckets said:

I agree. Why keep him at UNL? I think it would be a distraction as some players will be upset he’s no longer coach, so why let him hang around. I feel like that would prevent buy in to the new staff

I'd keep him on as the game/time management coordinator.

JimmyBuckets    90
2 minutes ago, C N Red said:

I'd keep him on as the game/time management coordinator.

Perhaps they will create a title for the Hip Hip Hooray Chair

Warrior10    1,930
4 minutes ago, Danimal said:

I'm not remotely comparing Riley to Brown as a coach, just saying since they like Riley personally and he's good with recruits maybe they try to ease the transition rather than just telling him to hit the bricks. 

Mack earned respect with his 77% winning percentage, 16 years of coaching and a national title. How has Riley earned close to that level of respect? 

And he's good with recruits, how so? 

Edited by Warrior10

54 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

Mack earned respect with his 77% winning percentage, 16 years of coaching and a national title. How has Riley earned close to that level of respect? 

And he's good with recruits, how so? 

Bro he is not comparing the two he's just saying so it doesn't look like we just s#!tted on Riley after only three years that's all he's saying and you are literally taking offense to this

ColoradoHusk    4,260
1 hour ago, JimmyBuckets said:

I agree. Why keep him at UNL? I think it would be a distraction as some players will be upset he’s no longer coach, so why let him hang around. I feel like that would prevent buy in to the new staff

I agree 100% with this thought.  Why do people think it's a good idea to keep Riley around?

Edited by ColoradoHusk

B.B. Hemingway    2,324

1 minute ago, Frost4NU2018 said:

Bro he is not comparing the two he's just saying so it doesn't look like we just s#!tted on Riley after only three years that's all he's saying and you are literally taking offense to this

Firing someone isn't "s#!tting" on them. He was hired to do a job and has failed.

B.B. Hemingway    2,324
1 minute ago, HuskerJax said:

Can we please keep this thread on topic and not turn it into a should we fire him or not thread?

The title of this thread is literally about Riley's job status... So. Carry on?

Warrior10    1,930
10 minutes ago, Frost4NU2018 said:

It's him getting "s#!tted" on. It's him being hired to do a job and him not doing it at the level required, therefore being fired. That's how the real world works. After the contract is satisfied we don't owe him a thing, he doesn't owe us a thing. No reason to keep him around. 

ScottyIce    1,928
4 hours ago, Sker4Ever said:

How confident are you in this source? What avenue is he claiming to get his info from? PowerT doesn’t seem like the type to spread just any rumor

Agreed, CoachPowerT is not in the avenue of starting or spreading rumors.

HuskerJax    225
36 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

The title of this thread is literally about Riley's job status... So. Carry on?

The thread title is a rumor that the decision has already been made. It would be nice to not have to wade through another thread of the same arguments taking place on every other thread. I appreciate the info aspect of it, sorry.

Bornhusker    62
6 hours ago, Hilltop said:

If Florida takes Frost, I would like to see Justin Fuente.

IMO, Frost will not take the Florida gig.. it would be a huge mistake! Not all P5 jobs are the same.

A couple of things.

People were way off about the AD rumors, not even close

Any discussions about SF would have to run through UCF.  I doubt there could be that much conversation and no rumors anywhere out of UCF.

Although it could be MR knows he is gone and SF has been contacted using back channels and has agreed to come in principal through his agent.

Not doubting that people are hearing, just doubting they are hearing it from people who know.

jessica0    359
1 minute ago, Crusader Husker said:

A couple of things.

People were way off about the AD rumors, not even close

Any discussions about SF would have to run through UCF.  I doubt there could be that much conversation and no rumors anywhere out of UCF.

Although it could be MR knows he is gone and SF has been contacted using back channels and has agreed to come in principal through his agent.

Not doubting that people are hearing, just doubting they are hearing it from people who know.

Communication with UCF doesn't have to occur until they want to speak with Coach Frost directly. Even then you can go around the AD, but that isn't how it usually works. Contacts/communications with agents and then you ask for permission from the AD to speak with so and so. AD's allow communication to happen. Just the way that stuff works. 

jessica0    359
22 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

from someone very very high in the University side- not in the AD. Just hasn't been released to the press yet. Anyone else hear this too? I didn't get a specific timeline as to when it would be announced but the decision apparently has already been made.

Yep. Matches what I posted about what the poster on Scout said a couple of weeks ago. 

1 minute ago, jessica0 said:

Communication with UCF doesn't have to occur until they want to speak with Coach Frost directly. Even then you can go around the AD, but that isn't how it usually works. Contacts/communications with agents and then you ask for permission from the AD to speak with so and so. AD's allow communication to happen. Just the way that stuff works. 

I get that, I just think if some of that has happened, there would be a little smoke.

seaofred92    1,520
3 hours ago, jessica0 said:

Yep. Matches what I posted about what the poster on Scout said a couple of weeks ago. 

would you mind refreshing me on what that is? I must've missed it

bisonwiches    94
1 hour ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Almost as exciting as Frost being head coach would be if he from Chinander in as Defensive coordinator.

If Frost comes the only reason he doesn’t bring him is if UCF offers him the head gig

jessica0    359
3 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

would you mind refreshing me on what that is? I must've missed it

There is a poster on Scout that is connected to some higher up people. No clue who those people are though since he never shares that info. Once and a great while he will drop a note and history is accurate. This week he said agents are talking and our AD is way ahead of things. 

Nov 2, 4:59 PMvia Mobile

Agents are speaking right now, no need to wait until the end of the season.

Moos is ahead of the game.

We good.

teachercd    3,221
22 hours ago, zoogs said:

Of course the decision has already been made. Eichorst didn't get fired for Riley's performance back in September so that the Football Guy AD would not get a chance to hire his Football Coach.

Riley was fired 4 years ago...he just didn't know it.  He got a life-line because of he attitude and niceness.  

suh_fan93    1,166

Power 'T I hope you and your source are right!  It would be really really cool to actually feel genuinely excited about the future of Husker football again.

Man I hope this plays out o.k.    

luckyduck    14
On 11/2/2017 at 7:31 PM, BoneyardHusker said:

At this point I would be shocked of Riley returned. The only question is does an announcement come before the end of the season that he wont be back.

At this point I wouldn't want Riley to be let go until the end of the season. Moos said he doesn't fire during the season, under normal circumstances.  For him to go back on his word would be off-putting.  

For the record I'M hoping for a coach change.

Danimal    253
4 hours ago, luckyduck said:

At this point I wouldn't want Riley to be let go until the end of the season. Moos said he doesn't fire during the season, under normal circumstances.  For him to go back on his word would be off-putting.  

For the record I'M hoping for a coach change.

Ya, want Riley gone too but firing him now serves little purpose. Can't talk to any current HC officially til after the season anyway. Meanwhile Riley still being here doesn't stop us from going through back-channel contacts, researching, and staying on-top of what's going-on with the competition. Let him finish the season with dignity and keep trying to recruit. Then let him go and get the new guy in ASAP to get to work on saving this class, December 20 will come flying-up.

teachercd    3,221

I know they can't officially talk to them but they still talk to them.  We all know how that goes.  Shoot, just look at us regular joes that are applying for new jobs while at work at our current job

On 11/3/2017 at 7:14 AM, B.B. Hemingway said:

Except Mack won a National Championship at Texas.... Riley can't even win a rivalry game.

Riley can't even beat a non conference teams. I.E. NIU and when he does he skates by. 

VectorVictor    1,986
On 11/3/2017 at 0:14 PM, B.B. Hemingway said:

Except that the boosters didn't remember that. But then again, some of those big money Texass boosters are bats*** crazy. 

3rd hand information (Brother talked with someone at the game today who knows someone high enough up in the Athletic department) that is pretty lock in step with whats been said.  Riley was informed he was let go after OSU and they offered Frost with a 45 day time frame.  Time frame is pretty much just make a decision at the end of the year.

BoNeyard    1,142
1 minute ago, whateveritis1224 said:

3rd hand information (Brother talked with someone at the game today who knows someone high enough up in the Athletic department) that is pretty lock in step with whats been said.  Riley was informed he was let go after OSU and they offered Frost with a 45 day time frame.  Time frame is pretty much just make a decision at the end of the year.

Sounds nice, but I don't think you can actually offer any coach anything until the regular season is over. Such as, I don't see Moos offering Frost, heck has Frost even had a chance to meet Moos?? With that said, Florida also probably hasn't offered Frost and Frost probably hasn't been on Gainesville campus.

Just now, BoneyardHusker said:

Sounds nice, but I don't think you can actually offer any coach anything until the regular season is over. Such as, I don't see Moos offering Frost, heck has Frost even had a chance to meet Moos?? With that said, Florida also probably hasn't offered Frost and Frost probably hasn't been on Gainesville campus.

Hey I'll be the first to say this information sounds very sketchy, only brought it up because it is pretty much the same information as has been said before at least in regards to Riley.  The Frost info also sort of matches what Power'T brought up.  Could be a phone interview was conducted.  Could be back channels that said hey we're going to be offering you this contract at the end of the year and we're giving you till the end of the year to give us an answer.

BoNeyard    1,142
4 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

Hey I'll be the first to say this information sounds very sketchy, only brought it up because it is pretty much the same information as has been said before at least in regards to Riley.  The Frost info also sort of matches what Power'T brought up.  Could be a phone interview was conducted.  Could be back channels that said hey we're going to be offering you this contract at the end of the year and we're giving you till the end of the year to give us an answer.

No I get ya, it is hopeful to see!

Vizsla1    125

FWIW-- I was at Champions Club after the game... people were pissed.. but more than  two very important guests (his bosses) were not there to greet the people, as they normally are, left their wives to sit alone

... maybe, they are talking with coach right now to pack his bags...rip off the band aid now..

Edited by Vizsla1

Bornhusker    62

Moos will not fire anybody before the end of the season. He can't, or he risks ruining his rep only after a few weeks. He must stand by his word, good or bad to show he can be trusted to do what he says.

Vizsla1    125
12 minutes ago, Bornhusker said:

Moos will not fire anybody before the end of the season. He can't, or he risks ruining his rep only after a few weeks. He must stand by his word, good or bad to show he can be trusted to do what he says.

Yep... totally agree with the statements from Moos.... I just found it odd and thought I would share an observation, not any whisper campaign going on inside the building...that is why we have it here...  We look so uninpsired just running onto the field..maybe team is feeding off that low energy and a change happens sooner then after Iowa game?

Landlord    7,848
3 hours ago, Red Five said:

No way Riley already knows.  If he did, we wouldn’t have had multiple 4* recruits at the game today.

There are a lot of ways this doesn't make sense. One of of which being that if he stopped recruiting, everyone would obviously already know his fate, including his players, who would see him give up, so they would too.

Danimal    253
3 hours ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Nothing official has occurred of course but I'd be shocked if we aren't in back-channel contact. 

GBRFAN    457
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 8:42 AM, Hilltop said:

You do understand that vegas makes odds so that fans can bet -  these same fans will not be hiring the next coach at NU or FU

jessica0    359
  • I think Riley and Moos meet privately this week and Riley agrees to step down at season’s end. Announcement during Iowa week.

1 reply0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

Direct message
pflOk4o4_bigger.pngMike'l Severe @MikelSevere
FollowFollow @MikelSevere
More
Replying to @gadavis4ever

He will be let go after the season.

NM11046    2,042
19 hours ago, Landlord said:

There are a lot of ways this doesn't make sense. One of of which being that if he stopped recruiting, everyone would obviously already know his fate, including his players, who would see him give up, so they would too.

Another being - that he is a professional, and right now he has a job and part of that is recruiting.

Also, he is a good man - I don't think he'd try to sabotage recruiting efforts.  I have little doubt he wants current players as well as Nebraska FB to be successful.  If he can help get strong kids here for the next guy, from everything we've heard of him as a man I think he would do so.

Bornhusker    62
17 minutes ago, jessica0 said:
  • I think Riley and Moos meet privately this week and Riley agrees to step down at season’s end. Announcement during Iowa week.

1 reply0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

Direct message
pflOk4o4_bigger.pngMike'l Severe @MikelSevere
FollowFollow @MikelSevere
More
Replying to @gadavis4ever

He will be let go after the season.

chuckle, I am betting 99.99999% of husker fans already knew this Mike'l, thanks anyway.

adc7236    70
On 11/3/2017 at 0:46 AM, Rike Miley said:

This would put us at #11 in the country for coaches salary at 4.8 mil. Much better than #41. Shows that its time to open the checkbook to get a winning coach in place. 

i agree.  Open the checkbook and get a PROVEN coach.  However, all to often schools have gotten burned when they opened the check book and got  today's flavor for a coach that proved worthless in the end.  McElwain comes to mind.

Of course I realize that PROVEN coaches looking for work are not exactly in abundance.

Redux    5,750
On 11/4/2017 at 6:49 PM, Red Five said:

No way Riley already knows.  If he did, we wouldn’t have had multiple 4* recruits at the game today.

The guys a professional, he knows he is toast but has still been dumping just as much effort into recruiting this class as he hs fron the start.

seaofred92    1,520

Mike Riley said he has talked "somewhat in depth" with Nebraska AD Bill Moos, on the job for two weeks. "The one thing that we're doing as a staff," the third-year coach said, "is we're going forward with the things that we're supposed to do -- coach our team and recruit the next one."

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0719248642313033206-4

Edited by seaofred92