A decision could be made sooner than we thought

Vince R.

16 minutes ago, macroboy said:

There is a way to split the difference here. Announce he is not coming back after the season. Let this staff coach the last 2 games.

1. Tells the fan base what they want.
  2. Makes it clear to candidates we have an opening
  3. Maybe the players rally for the staff and give some effort in the next 2 weeks.

To not make the announcement in the hopes we can trick recruits into staying committed is dishonest. They are making a big life decision and they deserve to know what we are doing.

Member of the media said it best. A bad recruiting class doesn't sink a program. A bad coaching hires sinks a program.

I have been thinking about this (the Dead Man Walking approach) as well. My conclusion was that it might have some merit if coaches interested in the Nebraska job don't know for sure that there is going to be an opening. But let's be honest, everyone that Moos would be interested in hiring already knows the job is going to be open.

I also agree that we aren't tricking any recruits. In fact, I find it incredibly strange that some recruits have held on to the belief that this coaching staff might be back. Surely they realize that the same staff with a harder schedule next year would be an even bigger disaster. Making it clear that Riley and staff will be gone next year would certainly put an end to that notion. On the other hand, maybe you want to announce the new coach right after firing the old one just to see if those recruits might want to play for the new guy?

I've also wondered whether firing Diaco now might be a good idea and I honestly don't know. Even though I think he is a psychopath, my gut reaction is that tinkering around the edge with two games left is pretty meaningless.

• Plus1 1
Just now, MacNCheeze said:

If i had an employee who had this type of results from the people he was in charge of he would not be there i dont care what i say.  Its to the point where its not going to get any better so the dragging out of this doesnt make sense.  I still say they let him go today, there is no viable reason not to.

You are right. No other employee anywhere else in any other business would be allowed to enter the company doors on Monday after the 3 year performance Riley has given. But, unlike winning on the football field, Riley can win his way with contracts.

Ok so what do we know that isnt being said.  Riley and his staff are fired....i dont see there a way that doesnt happen.  Riley knows this...the recruits know this...the media knows this...the fans know this...moos knows this...frost knows this...so what the f**k are we doing here.  It means nothing, the last two games are NOTHING.  It is more obvious then using your feet to walk.  It does nothing worse to get rid of him now vs 2 weeks from now.  Its not about the games, or what moos said, or that we owe him money...of course we owe him money.  Were paying that if he gone now or two weeks from now.  There is seriously NO reason for him to be here anymore, i would want anyone on here to give me one reason he needs to stay.  Other than a trick my father in law used to play to make the lives of his employees so bad he didnt want around anymore that they would quit so he didnt need to pay there unemployment.  Other than that, i can find no other reason.

4 minutes ago, MacNCheeze said:

Ok so what do we know that isnt being said.  Riley and his staff are fired....i dont see there a way that doesnt happen.  Riley knows this...the recruits know this...the media knows this...the fans know this...moos knows this...frost knows this...so what the f**k are we doing here.  It means nothing, the last two games are NOTHING.  It is more obvious then using your feet to walk.  It does nothing worse to get rid of him now vs 2 weeks from now.  Its not about the games, or what moos said, or that we owe him money...of course we owe him money.  Were paying that if he gone now or two weeks from now.  There is seriously NO reason for him to be here anymore, i would want anyone on here to give me one reason he needs to stay.  Other than a trick my father in law used to play to make the lives of his employees so bad he didnt want around anymore that they would quit so he didnt need to pay there unemployment.  Other than that, i can find no other reason.

Could it (not firing now) be something as simple as not wanting to make Diaco or Langsdorf the interim head coach? In other words, better the devil you know?

I can't imagine there is any way they would go with Diaco. Can you imagine that guy conducting press conferences the next two weeks? :bang

As for Langsdorf, he might be an acceptable option as an interim HC, but isn't it clear we need him up in the booth?  :facepalm: Sorry, bad joke.

If Riley is fired tomorrow, the team is not going to suddenly beat Penn State and Iowa, but they might actually play better.

How? Why?'

Well for starters, they could not possibly play more disheartened and technically flawed football than they did yesterday, from the opening kickoff through the two humiliating sacks that ended it. No one is enjoying this. At all. 

I won't pretend to know the psychology behind it, but when coaches are fired mid-season, even coaches the players love, there is often an uptick in performance the next couple games.

In some cases I think everyone just desperately needs change. 

2 hours ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Poor coaching decisions and poor leadership decisions led to those cons you talk about. We've got new leadership, full funding from the B1G and are one of the top programs in the nation for revenue. The facilities are here, the fan support is here, the leadership appears to be here but that's yet to be seen, with the right coach we could be hugely successful. You tell me why a good coach wouldn't want to come here? 

If anything this period of *&*& football has taught Nebraska fans to stop expecting national championships every single year. I think at this point we all just want to be competitive and get back to Indy first. My guess is IF this next coach is a good coach he'll get plenty of time to instill his program to get things pointed in the right direction. Nebraska fans just need to chill the hell out in the process and realize it's gonna take some time to get this fixed. 

Plus we put 90,000 in the stadium for every home game. Did you see the Miami stadium a couple years ago? UCF is undefeated and ranked in the top 20, and they can't put 30,000 in the stadium. Nebraska has a big time game day experience.

• Plus1 1